SyncMaster 920 - Flashing blue led, power cycling, swollen cap in PSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SyncMaster 920 - Flashing blue led, power cycling, swollen cap in PSU

Hello Everyone... I've spent the last couple of days absorbing the wealth of knowledge on this board -- THANKS!

I have a Samsung SyncMaster 920 19" widescreen LCD monitor that has recently started having troubles starting. When I apply power (with a VGA cable attached to the PC), the blue light comes on, I hear something in the power supply making a bit of noise, then it turns off. It seems to be about a 2 second cycle. I've been able to get it to start a handful of times, and it works fine once it is started.

Note: If I remove the LCD ribbon, I can get the monitor to power on each time, and respond properly (obviously with an all-white screen).

So I started digging around and I found that there is a swollen Samxon GK 1000uF 10v cap on the board. I would like to recap the PSU and the control board, but I'm having a bit of trouble matching up the proper replacement parts (ESR/ripple/etc). I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction on which series replacements I should use. My electronics knowledge is a little rusty, but from what I've been reading, ripple current needs to be equal or higher. Its mostly ESR I'm having trouble comparing. Do I just compare the impedance, or is there more to it?

Here are the caps I'd like to replace (information was collected from the various data sheets):

Code:
    Component	Value	Voltage	Model/Series	Brand	Ripple Current	Dimensions	Temp
    C820, 821, 826	47uF	25v	SH		Su'scon	110mA		8x12mm		125°
    C501, 817	470uF	25v	RZD		Lelon	1144mA		10x16mm		105°
    C818*		1000uF	10v	GK		Samxon	1430mA		10x16mm		105°
    C815		1000uF	25v	RZD		Lelon	1888mA		12.5x20mm	105°

C119		100uF	16v	KM		Samxon	125mA		5x11mm		105°
    C124		220uF	10v	RGA		Lelon	175mA		6.3x11mm	105°
    C127, 133, 141	22uF	16v	SK		Su'scon	63mA		5x11mm		105°
    Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

Re: SyncMaster 920 - Flashing blue led, power cycling, swollen cap in PSU

Originally posted by Heywire View Post
    So I started digging around and I found that there is a swollen Samxon GK 1000uF 10v cap on the board.
    That 1000uF 10V cap is providing the 5V DC to the logic board. If it is bad, that would explain why the logic board isn't working and thus no picture.

but from what I've been reading, ripple current needs to be equal or higher. Its mostly ESR I'm having trouble comparing. Do I just compare the impedance, or is there more to it?
    Here is the link I refer people to

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...47&postcount=3

edit: a couple more links

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...68&postcount=5

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10764

edit2:

If you find that Panasonic FC or FM series is suitable (it probably is), see PlainBill's instructions on how to order

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...33&postcount=2
    Last edited by retiredcaps; 09-08-2010, 05:36 PM. Reason: more links explaining caps esr, impedance, ripple, etc
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks very much for the links. The last two I had seen already I think I'm ready to start picking some caps, starting with the Panasonic FM/FC series, if they have matches...

Thanks again!

Comment

Here is the parts list I'm looking at (in the same order of the parts in my previous post). All in stock at Digi-Key, less than $5 for all parts. If anyone notices something wrong/bad, please let me know...

Note: The first component is originally a 125 degree piece -- I can't imagine that 125 would be necessary, but please correct me if I am wrong...

Thanks again!

Code:
        Model	Brand		Ripple	Imped	Dimensions	Temp	Part No
        FM	Panasonic	280mA	0.3	5x11mm		105	EEUFM1E470
        FM	Panasonic	1790mA	0.026	10x16mm		105	EEUFM1E471
        FM	Panasonic	1790mA	0.026	10x16mm		105	EEUFM1A102
        FM	Panasonic	2600mA	0.018	12.5x20mm	105	EEUFM1E102

FC	Panasonic	290mA	0.35	6.3x11.2	105	EEUFC1C101
        FM	Panasonic	455mA	0.13	6.3x11.2	105	EEUFM1A221
        KG	Panasonic	70mA	-	5x7mm		105	ECEA1CKG220

Comment

Code:
          KG	Panasonic	70mA	-	5x7mm		105	ECEA1CKG220
          Would suggest this

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P11213-ND

for the 22uF 16V cap. This one is 22uF 25V and it will work fine. It is a FC series cap.

edit: If you want ALL FM series, go with this

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...s=100uf+25v+fm

for your 100uF 16V cap. Again, it is 100uF 25V, but it will work fine.
          Last edited by retiredcaps; 09-08-2010, 10:01 PM. Reason: added 100uF 25V
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Ok, well somehow I missed that Digikey does not carry the EEUFM1A221, so I went to an EEU-FC1A221S.

Thanks for all of your help retiredcaps! Hopefully I'll have some good news to report sometime next week!
            Last edited by Heywire; 09-08-2010, 10:26 PM. Reason: found a closer match...

Comment

Update!

The monitor is working great! Thanks for all of your help, retiredcaps! And thanks to everyone else for building up a wealth of knowledge at this site.

Again, thanks!

Comment

The monitor is working great!
                Good to hear it was just the caps and not something with the logic board. You should get another good 5+ years of use out of the monitor with the new caps.
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Update!

The monitor is working great! Thanks for all of your help, retiredcaps! And thanks to everyone else for building up a wealth of knowledge at this site.

Again, thanks!
                  Nice ....another one saved from the landfill
                  There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                  • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
                  • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
                  • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
                  • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
                  • Windows 10 Pro x64
                  • GeForce GT1050
                    2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Update!

Again, thanks!
                    hey Heywire.
                    i have same problem, how do solve the problem , what is the part as you replaced ?

Comment

Originally posted by liranics View Post
                      hey Heywire.
                      i have same problem, how do solve the problem , what is the part as you replaced ?
                      My parts list is above, in post #4. I replaced all of those parts listed.

Comment

Working...
                      X