Power Supplies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Supplies

Well, I am annoyed to tell you all the truth, and think that PSU's should have their own section here- I am totally frustrated with bad PSU's since antec introduced the truepower line and their quality went down the tubes.

Antec PSU's I've bough have sucked for a good while now, and it's all due to bad capacitors, fuhjyuu's, to be exact-

In the last month alone AT MY HOUSE
    -
    Thus far Antec wise, I've lost 2x 2200uf/16v's, 3x 3300uf/10v's fuhjyuu's out of a truepower 430, a 820uf/15v out of a smartpower 300, a 2200uf/16v, a 1650uf/16v,2x 680uf/10v, a 4700uf/10v out of another smartpower 300.
    Antec didn't seem to care since I had opened most of em up

I am going to complain about 2 350's which just bit the dust and I can see that from the fan vent (didn't break the seal to look this time) and I am going to see what they do-

Achme wise (the power supply in my shuttle XPC) I lost 2x 680uf/10v and 4x 1000uf/10v fuhjyuu's

and

Codegen wise I lost a 1000uf/10v

All these caps were on the secondary side,
    and as a result of the one in my shuttle going south, my shuttle now has a 1u
    rackmount psu atop of it which sort of destroys it's portability (grrrr)
    (although I did see alot of failed Luxon's, Teapo's, Rulycon's, ChemiCon's, Fu Jun's, and a ton of seemingly not marked ones....

I have way more than that by the wayside in my room all mangled apart, all I am thankful for is that these don't go up the same way as I've seen a few of my friends horrible psu's, ei DEER's, L&C's, and other junk like those.

I've even had sparklepowers, fortons, thermaltakes, hipros, seasonics, silverstones, and tagans go up the same way, I am using enermax now, but I am weary of the caps in em, which are labeled "PCE"

I've been pointing my friends to buy pc power & cooling psu's, but there has to be a better way to do this than to dump $220 plus shipping for a fricken PSU which won't blow up.

my soldering skills suck sadly, and yes it has occurred to me more than once to take it up well and to just recap every damn psu I use in every comp I build-

What I wish to know is would it just be more economical to build your own ATX psu? I am tired of running crap and paying 5x the normal price for a working one!

also, if you want pics of failed caps in power supplies, I'll post em but they arn't pretty-

so what should I do? how have people here coped with it?

Re: Power Supplies

I always have spares, and pop one in when it's dead.
    20% of the problems brought to me are dead machines, blown PSU.
    Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Cprossu
      ....and think that PSU's should have their own section here
      That's coming real soon.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Cprossu
        so what should I do? how have people here coped with it?
        As long as the power supply isn't completely dead (maybe just unstable or has a lot of ripple on one or more output lines), replacing all the caps with quality parts should result in a power supply that will last as least as long as the computer it's in, barring catastrophic failure. The parts aren't horribly expensive (less than $20 for my Antec SL350). Yes, it sucks that the manufacturers didn't use good-quality parts when building the power supplies, and it takes time to replace the caps, but the result is a power supply that is stable, that you can point to with pride and say "I fixed that, so that it's better than new" (and it really is), and it's a lot cheaper than continually buying new power supplies that only last a year or two.

Comment

i have seen a bunch of fortron supplies come in bad lately.
          and they all had one thing in common.
          as cprossu noted they all had bad fujhyyu caps in them.
          seems the new king of crap caps is fujhyyu

Comment

Pre-emptively replacing the secondary and auxiliary caps with known-good types on a generic no-name SMPS should give you a unit that will last at least as long as a good motherboard - that's now about 5 years.

Once you figure out reliable cap series that work well in particular functions, stick with it (and post your choice here). For the secondary filtering caps, Nichicon PW, Rubycon YXG and Panasonic FC work well for me.

It also probably helps to replace the primary caps with slightly larger and higher voltage rated caps, if there's space (there usually is). Replace 330 by 470, 200v by 250v, etc. of a known good brand. I usually stick with Rubycon or Chemicon. HEC is OK if you can't find anything else.

If the MOVs across the primary caps are missing, but the part outline is present (usually ZNR1..ZNR2), install the MOVs as well for additional insurance.

Comment

I have already told the story which is true, and here it is.

An Antec TrueControl 550 PSU at work blew up and also somehow killed the motherboard with it. In an autospy done on it all of its caps (all Fuhjyyu) and its transformer blew. It died with sparks and smoke. Now before it failed one day (can't remember what day) it started acting weird. It showed problems found in a computer with bad caps. The motherboard didn't have bad caps (it had Rubycon caps) but it was acting like something was wrong. Nobody (including me) wanted to open up the PSU so we let it run some more. The PSU had a scent of ammonia but nobody cared. Soon the scent of ammonia got stronger but still nobody cared. Soon the PSU failed.

I currently have an Antec SmartPower SL450 Dual Fan PSU powering my system. It has Fuhjyyu caps, but now I'm more alert from the big PSU failure at the place I work.
              My gaming PC:
              AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
              ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
              PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
              G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
              TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
              WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
              ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
              Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
              Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
              Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
              Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

we will have a psu section soon.

welcome Cprossu!

you are right to be mad. psu manufacturers get away with much more than mobo manufacturers simply because their products are in a closed box and sealed. i have not seen decent caps on any new psu except for server ones.

do you have any pics of inside the failed units?
                capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Cprossu, I share your aggravations. I've had a few Antecs go south as well with one taking some valuable hardware with it. All loaded with Fuhjyuu's. Every replacement or upgrade PS were also loaded with these c(r)aps. How did I cope with this problem? Every power supply was opened (voided warantees be damned) and all crap caps replaced. What good is a warantee if it takes hardware with it? The cost of replacing caps is minimal compared to losing a hard drive or a motherboard.

You state your soldering skills suck but it sounds like you have plenty of hardware to practice on Pick up a solder sucker, soldering iron and a tube of silver solder at radio shack for less than $20 total and have a go! Power supplies are a lot easier to work with than a motherboard and you may find it's not such a daunting task after all.

I like your idea about designing a real power supply. Perhaps modifying existing well designed units for stability and longevity would also be a thought.

Comment

Well, for that new forum be sure to create a sticky with Powersupplies that use known good caps...

I bought my Seasonic S12 430w PSU because I read they use high-quality Japanese caps... If it actually is true I do not know since I did not want to open and see because that would have voided my warranty...
                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Saw this topic and decided I had to register and start posting finally

Most Antec units except some few older ones and the new Neo HE units are made by Channel Well (or CWT). I have a few CWT made units in my posession, the oldest of which is a 12 year old 235w ATX supply. Fuhjyyu caps in all of them, and I can only say for sure the 235w has no problems with them. The others all have some bulging of at least one cap going on. Probably doesn't help CWT units all spin the fans a bit on the slow side. They all still work, but I'm too lazy to go get new caps for them so they're just sitting around taking up space at the moment.

I would say that if one is looking for an Antec using good caps, the Neo HE's should help... they are Seasonic made. It's unfortunate Fuhjyyu is turning up in Fortron units now - I've seen them in Topower (OCZ, BeQuiet, Tagan, E-Power) units as well lately. While I was already less than pleased to find all Teapo in my Fortron 530w PSU, I think I would be shopping for a replacement already had I spotted a Fuhjyyu in there.

Comment

A dead P/S would be idea to start learning how to solder/desolder. If it's going into the trash or recycling anyway, why not? Some P/Ss have daughter cards with SMT components, which could be used for learning how to do that.

P/S main boards are usually single-sided (unless that has changed recently). Thus, there is no thru-plating ("barrel") to worry about and no solder fillet on the board top to try to suck out. Once the solder on the pad has been sucked or wicked up, the component should be free.
                        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

do you have any pics of inside the failed units?
                          You bet!
                          give me about 5mins or so, I need to find em and upload em to my webserver

I am glad I am not the only one having these issues.

Comment

never mind about my last comment, I see this forum allows attachments-

Anyway, here are just a few failed units, I am sorry for the poor quality of the images.

psu001.jpg is the 200watt Achme from my shuttle XPC

psu002.jpg is a 300watt Antec

psu003.jpg is a 300watt codegen

psu004.jpg is another 300watt Antec

and

psu005.jpg is a 430 watt Antec Truepower
                            Attached Files

Comment

Man, if you can't trust Antec, who can you trust? I have an Enlight p/s that came with the case I bought about 6 years ago. It has given me no problems, runs 24/7. Does Enlight make their own p/s, or does someone else? I need to buy a couple more p/s, but I don't want to waste $100 on junk like I did with my Antec ( though not dead...yet). Any ideas on best p/s for the money?

Comment

I am using enermax right now-
                                Although they are using PCE-TUR caps which I have not heard exceptionally good things about,

PC power and cooling should make the best psu's, but I've heard they are using PCE-TUR's as well

What I've gotten the gist of from these forums and browsing the interent is if you want a good psu which wont die in 1-2 years, you have to buy one to recap it

Comment

Cprossu; thank you very much for your post, I now really know to not use Antec powersupplies!

It's too bad the really big review sites like Tom's Hardware that has the equipment to really test powersupplies also do not comment on them using poor filter caps, that might actually cause the industry to change... Antec even visited them to be able to proove that their much talked about ripple noise was infact not an issue, I still do not think it was a non issue, even though they changed the reviews verdict of that PSU to say that it was ok...
                                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I've not seen PCE-TUR cap bad yet.
                                    I use DTK PTP-3007 (this one is really good and quiet), EuroCase (cheap and quiet), some dont-remember-the-brand AT (someone gave it to me, there was a transistor bad IIRC), EMKO AT in router (very quiet) and SkyHawk 250W for testing purposes (its short-circuit protection works fine )

Comment

I've not seen PCE-TUR cap bad yet.
                                      Thanks for putting my mind at ease-

if they can blow like other caps, I will surely blow them with what I put my comps through and post here with end results if they should come to that-

I am praying for the OST's on my asus a8n-sli deluxe and multiple ECS boards to survive as well.

Comment

I've seen bad OSTs only on photos - never in reality. So at least they should be better than GSC

Comment

Working...
                                        X