• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial DISCUSSION

So. here is the whole thing:

current: ----------------------------replacement cap

2x 2200uf 10v we 06201 ------------2x2200uf 10V nichicon VZ(m) H9427
    3x 1000uf 10v we 6301 --------------3x 1000uf 16v Rubycon ZL T0645 PET

(these r the best i can get 4m my location. )

if im better of with my stock caps please suggest me so. thnx
    Last edited by minitt; 01-12-2009, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by minitt
      So. here is the whole thing:

current: ----------------------------replacement cap

2x 2200uf 10v we 06201 ------------2x2200uf 10V nichicon VZ(m) H9427
      3x 1000uf 10v we 6301 --------------3x 1000uf 16v Rubycon ZL T0645 PET

(these r the best i can get 4m my location. )

if im better of with my stock caps please suggest me so. thnx
      Well, the Rubycon ZL caps should be appropriate, as they are a Low ESR / High Ripple Current cap.

The Nichicon VZ is only a high temperature General Purpose cap. The 2200/10 only shows 920ma ripple and no ESR rating at all. A suitable PW 2200/10 is rated at 1815ma Ripple and .035Ω ESR

So those VZ caps can handle maybe 1/2 the ripple that a more suitable cap would.
      That might actually be better than your old ones depending on how well those "CS" or "SC" caps have aged ... and if they were any good in the first place!

I would try to get some reasonably close Rubycon ZL in maybe 1800/10 or even 1500/10.

If you can't get any Low ESR caps, the high quality Nichicon VZ are a better bet than re-using the old crapacitors, which according to "CS"'s own website are only good for 633ma ripple! When they were new!

Any thoughts out there?

Have Fun,
      Keri
      Last edited by KeriJane; 01-12-2009, 03:53 PM.
      The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

Those VZ also have date code for 27th week of 1994.
        -> H9427
        15 years is pretty old.

Between that and what Keri said I suggest getting better caps.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Just changed my Primary caps to nippon chemicon...

then the rest of the caps.....

The 12 rail voltages looks like more stable...

but the 12V rail goes down to 11.78(avg)@LOAD (11.77 lowest)

and sits around 11.88 @ idle.

Although its well within + -5% range

I want to know if its possible to keep it @ 12 or 12+....

(hope im not asking too much)

thnx.

n BTW thnx for the primary cap change idea.. it helped actually..

Comment

It's most likely group regulated. - Most 'economy' power supplies are.

That means one regulator is providing error correction for multiple rails ad trying to keep all of them in spec at the same time.
            So,
            Lets say voltage 1 is trying to go high....
            Regulator says 'lower voltage'.
            Voltage both rail 1 and 2 will go lower.

It's usually based on +12v and (one of) +3.3v or +5v.
            [I've forgotten which of the other two at the moment but I think it's +5v.]
            Assuming that's right.
            The error signals from +12v and +5v are added together to get a total error signal.
            The regulator controls by the total error signal because that's all it see's.

With group regulation it's hard to keep all the rails dead on the spec at the same time.
            Normal it see one of them off a bit.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

hm thnx 4 ur explanation....

n i think u r ry8 caz my other rail seems to be just fine...

So wut if i increase load on 3.3 or 5v rail ..dat will help the 12 V???

im thinkin of wut kind of load i should put ....4 da sake of curiousity...

Comment

If a power supply's transformer has a label with a certain wattage, like it has a sticker that says 200w on it, does that mean that's the true ratting of the power supply?

I ask because my friend's blown chinese-back-van-special power supplies that were rated at 480w on the sticker had a 200w sticker on the transformer.

Comment

Actually, this is majority of SMPS are group regulated using one voltage output as monitored voltage that is deemed important and let other output swing where they like to go. High voltage with high impendance winding tend to swing lot while one output swings very little.

To have a true power supply with each output regulated, it has to employ buck regulators powered by one voltage supply. Efficient yes. That's starting to appear now starting with high KW SMPS to around 600W mark. I wish there is one for 300-500W SMPS.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
                    If a power supply's transformer has a label with a certain wattage, like it has a sticker that says 200w on it, does that mean that's the true ratting of the power supply?

I ask because my friend's blown chinese-back-van-special power supplies that were rated at 480w on the sticker had a 200w sticker on the transformer.
                    If it says 200 watts, then that means the combined ratings of the 3.3v, 5v, 12v, -5v, and -12v rails should not exceed 200 watts. 5vsb has it's own transformer, so the 200 watt rating of the main traffo doesn't include 5vsb.

Most PSUs have numbers instead of ratings on the transformers. Cheap no-name PSUs normally use a smaller main transformer, usually with the number 33 somewhere in the name (those would be limited to about 200-250 watts max). Better built PSUs with bigger main transformers should have the number 35 in the name. Of course some cheap PSUs put fake numbers on the main trafo, so be aware of that. Nonetheless, it should be pretty easy to tell the smaller transformers from the bigger ones without looking at the numbers on top.

Comment

Delux 500 watt PSU

actual watt 300 ... written on the PCB and checked marked by a pen.

Model: DLP-50A

12V1 20A (12v1 and 12v2 are physically seperate)
                      12V2 22a

5V 18A

3.3 28A

5 vsb 2.5A

-12V 0.5A

230V at 50hz 4A

ACtive PFC circuit visible ( so i know its there)

please comment on the biuld quality.

running 2 DVD drive P4 3.6, 1.5GB DDR1, sapphire HD 4850 512,160GB sata
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by minitt
                        please comment on the biuld quality.
                        Overrated at least: poor assembly; thin cables; small heatsinks; small transformers; one small, OST brand primary capacitor (1st pic, low right corner and 2nd pic on the left), I suppose an OST RLG 180uF 400 V which is adequate for a 200-250 W psu and anemic for anything bigger. On the good side it does have a complete input filter and boast active PFC so the manifacturer didn't spare on everything: detailed photos can help in identifying other capacitors and such.

Zandrax
                        Have an happy life.

Comment

looks like built by FSP/Sparkle. the view of secondary side isn't too clear, u could try posting bigger images.. yes the transformer looks small, but i'm not sure if it's because of the angel/camera..

maybe the psu has high efficiency, but those small heatsinks are really giving impression of cheap cost cutting PSU. really a bad look, but i dont know bout the functionality..
                          days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

I think yanz is right, it looks like an fsp.

They are notorious for those small heatsinks on their cheaper units (see:antec basiq)

The thing that makes it look really like a fsp is the fact that it is complete, and is actually neatly laid out, and uses a rectifier instead of 4 diodes. Just has those tiny heatsinks and the fact that its way overrated.

Comment

Damn that power supply has tiny heat sinks.

My current power supply has active power factor correction and its absolutely packed with components. It may even be a bit too dense. Too bad it has crappy caps.

Comment

In the seconds pic, you can see the letters "SPI" on the main traffo, so it must be a Sparke/FSP unit. It does look a bit dissapointing (for 500 watts anyways). I'm not sure if it will stand behind those ratings, especially with those primary switchers. The heatsinks have good thickness but no fins, so their heat dissipating capability could be limited. Size of main traffo looks small too, but it could be just the angle like yanz mentioned. My guess would go with the 250 watt rating as well (maybe 300W on a good day).

Comment

Model: DLP-50A <<- Not a Sparke/FSP number.
                                  Delux <<- Is an actual Brand name.

Who says Sparke/FSP doesn't sell just transformers?

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

I dunno if this link will work.
                                    http://translate.google.com/translat...N%26start%3D10

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

That's a 300W lower end FSP being marketed as a 500W. Even the housing styles on the Delux site scream FSP. It's probably fairly efficient being built on the general Epsilon platform, but not 500 watts efficient.

Comment

Enhance ATX-2035FA

Pull this out of an Asus case. Looks like came with the case and had been in use for close to 3 years.

Won't power on and looks like bunch of bad caps:

The heat sinks are not too thin so I guess I will recap this for testing...
                                        Attached Files

Comment

hmm, that UL leads no-where.

Actually looks decently made.

Those caps are YC brand, definitely get rid of all of them.

Comment

Working...
                                          X