Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENERMAX Liberty ELT500AWT

ENERMAX Liberty ELT500AWT

I've had this since march 2006, it had been used in my gaming rig up until my sli upgrade last year and had been used a test PSU for a short period before finding it's way into my new fileserver for 2 or 3 months during the transition from my old fileserver which still had the corsiar 650w.

Well about 3 weeks ago I needed to install pci-e usb port adapter into my server. I shut it down and work on it and then when it came to start her up, she did not turn on. I pull the 650w out of the old fileserver and plug her in and she fired up fine.

So this liberty psu had finely succumb to age and dried out caps. It will work on low power systems like celeron M-atx S478 or PIII systems but the newer 775 or am2/3 it will not; it used to though.

Anyways I open it up and look inside,

It's got three 3300uf 10v and two 3300 16v two 500uf 10v caps and then one I can't identify because it's turn towards heatsink. The brand is CTC?

I plan on recapping it, I may have a problem with the sizes height wise anyways. Four of them are 35mm and two 30mm, but diameter... get this, 10mm. Do they make them like this? what would be good to replace the caps considering how compact everything is.
    Attached Files

Re: ENERMAX Liberty ELT500AWT

CTC is not very well known, but it is crap.

Is the PSU outputting 5v_stb?
    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post

if I plug it to my psu tester all voltages are present, but if you load it up with a modern system it will not turn on, even though I get the led light on the board. But if I connect it to a simple socket 478 micro-atx board with a P4 and stick of ram it will turn on fine. But if I add a AGP video card say a 7800GS it will not turn on or add one hard-drive it will turn on but add a third one and it won't. Seems like caps are dried out.
      Last edited by Mad_Professor; 10-03-2012, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Professor View Post
        if I plug it to my psu tester all voltages are present, but if you load it up with a modern system it will not turn on. but if I connect it to a simple socket 478 micro-atx board with a P4 and stick of ram it will turn on fine. But if I add a AGP video card say a 7800GS it will not turn on or add one hard-drive it will turn on but add a third one and it won't. Seems like caps are dried out.
        Check the voltage on the big filter cap with it turned on powering a slight load.
        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post

Well most people here agreed they are mediocre. Definitelly they seem to last twice as long as most OST, Teapo and stuff.

Check the fixation shit on rectifiers, on first revision (for a couple of years) it used to burn itself to the state it was conductive and than shorted legs.
          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
          Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

*Gasp* Topcat doesn't have 3300uF 16V 10mm Samxons anymore. Only 10V I was about to suggest them as a possible replacement.

EDIT: looks like you can still get them from Big Pope (http://capsmod.net/caps/)

EDIT 2: Does anyone remember whether this one was affected by the conductive glue or not?
            Last edited by c_hegge; 10-04-2012, 04:40 AM.
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Get them from Joe directly? I think he is cheaper as well :-) Just depends on how much postage from Topcat costs, from Joe its 15-30 bucks depending on weight…
              Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

AFAIK, you can get caps directly from Joe.

Topcat charges $5 USD within the US, and $8 for overseas.
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Must be that I get larger variety and lower prices for the numbers (tens of pices usually)

Comment

Resurrecting, I want to order some caps, but uh, we got a problem. No one has a 3300uf 16v 10 dia cap with high ripple and low esr. The only one that comes up is rubycon PX series, and it has too low of ripple and is no good.

SO question is do I risk flea-bay or do I do a poly-mod? If so, do I have to poly the whole thing?

Edit: never mind polymers don't do good, because of pi filter tuning.

SO... yeah
                    Last edited by Mad_Professor; 12-31-2012, 12:19 PM.

Comment

I need some too, however, Joe is not responding to my e-mails for several months now.

Anyway, Topcat seems to have some Samxons RS, have a look at Badcaps shop. But prices are not anyway near Joe's.
                      Last edited by Behemot; 12-31-2012, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Check the rails with the 16v 3300uF caps... If it's not the 12v rail, you can use 6.3V or 10V 3300uF caps.
                        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Trying to see if I can change the capacitance and run with one fattie on the 12v rail, or maybe get a bunch smaller capacitance low esr caps and tie them together in parallel to give me my 6600 along with meeting the ripple and esr needs needed for my 12v rail

The 3300 10v I can get from topcat using the samxon RS series since I don't have a datasheet for a CTC KM series cap to reference the esr or ripple but I assume RS is ok for that.

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                          Check the rails with the 16v 3300uF caps... If it's not the 12v rail, you can use 6.3V or 10V 3300uF caps.
                          No it's definitely for the 12v rail.
                          Last edited by Mad_Professor; 12-31-2012, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Yes, RS is definitely OK as a replacement:
                            http://web.archive.org/web/200502270...t/KMSeries.htm

Here's a guy selling them:
                            http://www.ebay.com/itm/120957531897

KEep in mind the bunge of these particular caps will have those concentric rings. They're authentic, but they have that style of bunge because this was an experimental series from Samxon.
                            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Yeah I found him too but the price is terrible. Last time I took from Joe for aprox. 60 cents a piece. I would not take anything over 1 USD including shipping.

Comment

Yes, RS is definitely OK as a replacement:
                                http://web.archive.org/web/200502270...t/KMSeries.htm

Here's a guy selling them:
                                http://www.ebay.com/itm/120957531897

KEep in mind the bunge of these particular caps will have those concentric rings. They're authentic, but they have that style of bunge because this was an experimental series from Samxon.
                                Well my 10v ones have two different sizes, one is 10x30 and other is 10x35, I have no idea, but if that sheet is correct 13x21, 820 and 1010 for 16v I should be ok with rubycon PX, but I'm wrong right?

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                                Yeah I found him too but the price is terrible. Last time I took from Joe for aprox. 60 cents a piece. I would not take anything over 1 USD including shipping.
                                Yeah, I'm scare of fakes, I would buy them if I had no other choice.

Anyways, this is what I'm working with.

black = ground
                                yellow = 12v rail
                                red = caps
                                purple = wrapped copper jumper wire on top.

As far as I can tell they are parallel.
                                Attached Files

Comment

I'd say there are genuine, just expensive.

What jumper man, it's pi coil. Filtering cap before, filtering cap after. Than there are two shunts for OPP on both +12V rails.

Comment

Last time I took from Joe for aprox. 60 cents a piece.
                                    I'm glad I bought some quantity from him back then. You're right, $2 a piece after shipping from this guy, but 4 is more than eough for this PSU.
                                    Well my 10v ones have two different sizes, one is 10x30 and other is 10x35, I have no idea, but if that sheet is correct 13x21, 820 and 1010 for 16v I should be ok with rubycon PX, but I'm wrong right?
                                    No, PX is grossly underspec'd for this application, I would not use them.

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                                      I'd say there are genuine, just expensive.

What jumper man, it's pi coil. Filtering cap before, filtering cap after. Than there are two shunts for OPP on both +12V rails.
                                      Oh so that's what they are called, pulse induction. Sorry I'm not knowledge about these yet.

So I need two caps anyways. Damn I was about to ask if using single 6800uf FC cap would be acceptable, but now after you explain it, it's not going to work.

Looks like I'm going to fleabay.

EDIT: even worst it's coming from china.
                                      Last edited by Mad_Professor; 12-31-2012, 01:32 PM.

Comment

I'm glad I bought some quantity from him back then. You're right, $2 a piece after shipping from this guy, but 4 is more than eough for this PSU.
                                        I took some too, but I have run out of everything. I'd take from this guy if he could provide some reasonable price for say 100 pcs/16 V and 130 pcs/10 V.

Originally posted by Mad_Professor View Post
                                        So I need two caps anyways. Damn I was about to ask if using single 6800uf FC cap would be acceptable, but now after you explain it, it's not going to work.

Looks like I'm going to fleabay.

EDIT: even worst it's coming from china.
                                        Usually it works fine with bigger cap before and smaller after, but there definitelly should be some capacitance on both sides of the coil…

I personally have no problem with China, most of interesting stuff comes from there anyway They make everything there so they can sometimes get it and sell individually for good money

Comment

Working...
                                        X