Doss Zd917

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doss Zd917

Has anyone in the group got or ever used a Doss Zd917 desoldering station . Am thinking of buying one . It looks similar to what Jaycar sells .
    Regards John

Re: Doss Zd917

I have a zd915 this unit is the desolidering station work pretty good but unless it has the newer controller you are going to have trouble with the unit turning on
    Here is trouble with older unit it turn the heater ON before the switching power supply power ON all the way if
    If it does not power ON all the way it shuts OFF then restarts it may do this a few times before it's stays ON

The newer controller when you turn it ON it shows ( U3) first then it turns ON the heater and you do not have that problem any more
    The temperature is very stable after it overshoots the temperature the first time + 10*F to 20*F

I have a zd916 the unit is the soldiering iron it work good however it overshoot temperature +10* F and undershoot the temperature by -6* F
    It does this for about 10 minutes or so and then the swing is a lot less

I have five of these units

The zd916 has a transformer for the power supply one unit
    One zd915 has a transformer for the power supply one unit

If you want to change to this type of power supply the transformer has three windings 8 volts / 20 volts controller /26 volts heater gun

One zd915 has the older controller it has a switching power supply
    Two zd915 has the newer controller it has a switching power supply

One other note after you make sure everything works you will want to recap the switching power supply they used unknown brand caps

The two main output caps that are 2200uf@25 volt need to be changed to (3300uf@35 volt they will fit a little tight in the space for them)
    The voltage for this switching power supply is 18 volts @ 12 amps the caps are under sized the switching IC chip will fail because of this fact it may work 6 months to a year before this happens and when it does fail it will not power ON

I hope this helps
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-26-2016, 12:25 AM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Thankyou for the reply , i think this is a new item on the market . Will do some more research .
      Thankyou

Comment

ZD917 has been out for a while

They updated the firmware to a new version

The units work good and save a lot time de soldiering components
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 03-27-2016, 04:04 PM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

I have a zd917, bought 2 years ago. The first unit i bought didnt work at all from out of the box. I returned the obviously faulty unit. This was replaced with my current one which has worked without fault until last weekend, the soldering side just turned itself off after running for 1hr maybe .. ..and has suffered a complete failure in its psu. The desoldering side still works without skipping a beat - i think the cooling fan being mounted behind it helps.
          I suspect a lack of cooling on the soldering irons psu has had something to do with its failure and the caps problem.
          Does anyone have images of the mods they did or further instructions on how to/ what to change in the psu?
          Also contemplating adding another fan inside the case on the soldering iron side to give it more cooling is it 24v or 12v fan?

Comment

Originally posted by Majekle View Post
            I have a zd917, bought 2 years ago. The first unit i bought didnt work at all from out of the box. I returned the obviously faulty unit. This was replaced with my current one which has worked without fault until last weekend, the soldering side just turned itself off after running for 1hr maybe .. ..and has suffered a complete failure in its psu. The desoldering side still works without skipping a beat - i think the cooling fan being mounted behind it helps.
            I suspect a lack of cooling on the soldering irons psu has had something to do with its failure and the caps problem.
            Does anyone have images of the mods they did or further instructions on how to/ what to change in the psu?
            Also contemplating adding another fan inside the case on the soldering iron side to give it more cooling is it 24v or 12v fan?
            Have you recap this power supply and changed the switching IC chip
            The Desoldering gun pull the most current of the two units one thing to watch out for is the following ---->

If after you repair this power supply try it with out the gun and see if power on
            if dose turn on then turn back off and hook the gun and turn the lowest heat and let run for 30 minutes but keep an eye on it

Now if when you power on and shuts off by itself and keeps restart by itself
            then you have a shorted diode or a shorted cap on the back side of the display board at top left hand side these are surface mount it will have on it ( D7 or M7 I can not remember which one ) the cap has no numbers or letters on it this value can be any value that looks like the one on it ---> it just the power supply for the gun

This diode is on the board where the plug that goes to the plug for the gun
            This diode is very hard to find the right size just measure the size of the diode

If you add another fan put on the iron side power supply this does not have to work so hard
            Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 08-26-2017, 10:05 PM.
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Another question, I've sourced most of the ic's and caps now to replace and recap the psu on zd917, only one im having trouble with is the 400v 150uF cap.
              I'm struggling to find a low esr cap and in a good brand.
              Rubycon have many caps in this voltage but trying to find a low esr in that voltage and uF seems difficult.

There is a Phillips cap that is suposedly low esr of 0.7, but this is not that low..
              Any suggestions? If a Rubycon, what series is best in that voltage?
              Many Rubycon's datasheets have nothing listed under ESR so can only assume they are not "low ESR"

Comment

Originally posted by Majekle View Post
                Another question, I've sourced most of the ic's and caps now to replace and recap the psu on zd917, only one im having trouble with is the 400v 150uF cap.
                I'm struggling to find a low esr cap and in a good brand.
                Rubycon have many caps in this voltage but trying to find a low esr in that voltage and uF seems difficult.

There is a Phillips cap that is suposedly low esr of 0.7, but this is not that low..
                Any suggestions? If a Rubycon, what series is best in that voltage?
                Many Rubycon's datasheets have nothing listed under ESR so can only assume they are not "low ESR"
                You can Leave that cap alone those do not really go bad that often at least from what I seen

That cap dose not have to be a low ESR rated cap but look at the ripple current spec this is more important with higher voltage above 63 volts

The only time that I replace main power caps is they are pushing up there tops or bottom or leaking
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Working...
                X