Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acer1715 display screen off-center HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer1715 display screen off-center HELP!

i've used up all possible idea's to get my screen to getting back to its original position, the lower part of the screen shows whatevers being projected at the top of the screen and vice versa with the left side of the screen. i've tried adjusting it using the menu but i dont think thats the case. It's NOT a technical problem nothing to do with the hardware im sure of that i've spammed pressing the "AUTO" button making the screen auto re-adjust but it stays the same.

Btw im on the end of my teather here with this thing, it isnt the first resoloution/screen problem ive had.

Re: Acer1715 display screen off-center HELP!

Originally posted by Alucard
    i've used up all possible idea's to get my screen to getting back to its original position, the lower part of the screen shows whatevers being projected at the top of the screen and vice versa with the left side of the screen. i've tried adjusting it using the menu but i dont think thats the case. It's NOT a technical problem nothing to do with the hardware im sure of that i've spammed pressing the "AUTO" button making the screen auto re-adjust but it stays the same.
    Welcome Alucard.
    Is your monitor connected with a DVI or a VGA cable? If it's DVI, then I suspect your Acer is faulty; otherwise try changing H- and V-position controls you should find in your graphic card's control panel.

Zandrax
    Have an happy life.

Comment

thanks for the welcome

im using the VGA cable and i dont suspect my acer to be faulty, my friend gave me this monitor but without the software CD so im guessing thats why im getting all these problems but anyway...

could u please give me the directory to the graphics card control panel, i went to control panel in My Computer and tried configuring the Intel(R) GMA driver but i didn't find anything to do with H- and V- position controls...

my knowledge of a computer is basically knowing all terms and directories lol other than that im clueless

Comment

update: just informing you that this has only been like this for the past couple of days. People who play world of warcraft got this same problem by Alt-Tabbing out of the program but i still have no soloution

Comment

It sounds as if it is not reading the EDID correctly. You could try using a different cable, maybe even a DVI cable if you have the input/output jacks for it.

You could also try the PowerStrip application to adjust the video output. The Intel video is not very good, and I would recommend getting a better video card. If you don't have an AGP slot, you can get a PCI video card. I recommend an nVidia card 6200 or greater. Here's one that I just purchased for a HP computer that was given me. It (the HP PC) has Intel graphics with no AGP slot:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130289

Comment

I think PaulS has a good point: Intel integrated graphics lack of controls and have low to moderate gaming performance. Before buying a new graphic card, I suggest updating Intel drivers to the last version: I think they fixed the EDID trouble because not-standard monitor resolutions (e.g. 1440x900) are recognized now.
            If you still have troubles, then you may consider getting a new card: nVidia and Ati low end chip are more powerful than Intel ones and have a better driver support.

Zandrax
            Have an happy life.

Comment

Try the latest Intel graphic driver AND PowerStrip, before spending any money on a new card.

Comment

>The Intel video is not very good

why not?
                i bet you can't name one meaningfull reason for somebody that wouldn't be too much into gaming with latest games.
                not one.

> i've tried adjusting it using the menu but i dont think thats the case.

i don't understand this. why you tried moving picture with monitor controls what happened?

and intel gma does have this control

see the position arrows.
                it actually had more controls than my last nvidia card..which was pretty old, yeah...
                but i don't play games, so i don't need recent card, and in same way all those not playing latest games don't need it.
                2d performance is more or less same on all cards since 2000.

Comment

Intel graphics is horrible at playing video, especially HD video. That is why I opted for a PCI graphics card.

It also was stuttering when I clicked on the Start menu in the lower left-hand corner. This went away when I installed an old nVidia GeForce 2MX PCI card that I had laying around. So I then got a newer and better nVidia card for it.

I have the same types of problems with the Intel graphics on my Dell laptop. I am running Linux, but the driver seems to be no better. I wanted to use the laptop as a frontend for my MythTV digital recording PC. It took me three years just to find settings that would display HD video. It still stutters a lot, and is unwatchable. I can't switch the graphics card in the laptop, so I'm stuck with it.

Comment

>Intel graphics is horrible at playing video, especially HD video. That is why I opted for a PCI graphics card.

meh...cards that offload cpu do that only with particular players, the ones i would say suck rather bad. so i don't see much gain there.
                    also, you can use cpu to do it. i can play hd video without issues on c2d cpu and gma.
                    and cpu never really comes near 100%. better to say cpus, it has 2.

so that's moot.

>It also was stuttering when I clicked on the Start menu in the lower left-hand corner.

i bet one nvidia card, somehwere, sometime was also flickering in simillar manner.
                    doesit mean all such products do that?
                    mine doesn't. not on desktop, not on laptop(laptop has intel integrated graphics too).
                    one case proves nothing.

>It took me three years just to find settings that would display HD video. It still stutters a lot, and is unwatchable. I can't switch the graphics card in the laptop, so I'm stuck with it.

you can't watch hd on more than 3 year old laptop, and you're surprised?
                    remember that video is played on old machines mostly by cpu and on recent machines gpu can offload that somewhat with particular players that support it(only 3 as far as i know)...BUT you can still get faster cpu so it does everything.
                    my laptop has c2d(somewhat slower than desktop..at 1.6ghz, desktop is 2ghz) and gma and it plays hd without issues.

so the video and particular gui problem can't be the reason to ditch gma.
                    money to buy recent video card can be used to buy mobo with gma(or other type of integrated video). you'll buy cpu anyway.

offcourse, if you wanna beef up the old machine you'll do what you suggested, but i would suspect monitor first in this case.
                    video-card 2nd, yeah...

i would put monitor driver there first...
                    Last edited by i4004; 07-11-2008, 07:04 PM.

Comment

All you need to off-load HD video is a nVidia FX-5200. That is an OLD video card, so age is not the factor here.

My laptop has a Pentium 4 2.8GHz processor in it, so that cannot be the problem either. I am offloading the video processing to the CPU using XvMC. That was how I finally got it to show something!

The former owners of the PC that I put the new video card into said the video was always herky-jerky. I installed an updated Intel driver, still no good.

OK, I have only had experience with two Intel video processors. They both performed poorly. I have never had a bad experience with nVidia. NVidia makes excellent video cards and video drivers.

Comment

>All you need to off-load HD video is a nVidia FX-5200. That is an OLD video card, so age is not the factor here.

don't see it here
                        https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...df57a67683.pdf

>My laptop has a Pentium 4 2.8GHz processor in it, so that cannot be the problem either. I am offloading the video processing to the CPU using XvMC. That was how I finally got it to show something!

according to cyberlink(maker of one of those players that support gpu hardware acclereation) that is not enough.
                        "Minimum: Pentium 4 541 (3.2 GHz), Pentium D 840 (3.2 GHz), Pentium D 930 (3.0 GHz), 935 3.2GHz or 940 (3.2 GHz), Core Duo T2400 (1.83 GHz), Pentium M 755 (2.0 GHz), Core 2 Duo E4300 1.8 GHz or T5600 1.83 GHz "

that is to say you need these in conjuction with gpu acceleration(ie you need these and recent video card).
                        without gpu acceleration offcourse these won't work.

so yeah, your cpu is too slow.
                        also, you cannot "offload to cpu", because cpu is doing most work there anyway.
                        because gpu is not. it cannot help much.
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Video...n_Compensation
                        it only helps a bit for mpeg2, and new hd video is mostly vc1(wmv) and h.264.

>OK, I have only had experience with two Intel video processors. They both performed poorly. I have never had a bad experience with nVidia. NVidia makes excellent video cards and video drivers.

i have expereince with intel, nvidia and ati, and they all work.

video playback is not something that will always work out of the box.
                        for example if you pick wrong renderer in video player setiings you can have jerky video.

you're biased because you had issues with it.
                        but for many people intel works just fine. just like ati and nvidia.
                        intel is not cutting edge, for sure, but with enough cpu power it'll do video just as good as nvidia and ati with gpu acceleration.

also, acceleration is coming to gma too
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#GMA_X4500
                        http://softwarecommunity.intel.com/a...s/eng/1488.htm

this means that soon any integrated video solution will do hd easilly.

Comment

You obviously don't have much experience with capturing and viewing HDTV, and I won't waste any more time discussing it with you. HDTV video is MPEG-2, at least here in the USA.

This is from the MythTV wiki:
                          To playback HDTV content, plan on a powerful CPU. "How powerful?" depends on a number of factors, such as the capture resolution, whether the video is progressive or interlaced, and whether your display card has hardware-assist support for Linux.

The Simple Answer: Once you are in the 3.2 Ghz P4-class of CPU you should have no issues with viewing HDTV.

The Complicated Answer:

For 720p content (1280x720), a 2.4GHz P4 should be sufficient.

For 1920x1080i->1920x1080p with the better deinterlacing methods done in real time a 2.4GHz CPU is taxed, but should work if you use "Bob and Weave" deinterlacing, or if you have an NVIDIA card with MPEG-2 hardware acceleration. If you enable the hardware acceleration, you may be able to use a 1.8GHz processor.
                          No mention of Intel or even ATI!

You say that's Linux and you can't compare it to Windows. Here's the requirements of a Windows app, MediaPortal:
                          HDTV minimum hardware requirements

HDTV (720p/1080i/1080p) playback/recording, and also recording from multiple tuners, and playback of MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) video, carries higher system requirements.
                          • 2.8 GHz Intel Pentium 4 (or equivalent) processor
                          • 512 MB of System RAM
                          • DirectX 9.0 hardware-accelerated GPU with at least 128MB of video memory
                            • Graphics chips which support this and are compatible with MediaPortal:
                              • ATI Radeon series 9600 (or above)
                              • NVIDIA GeForce 6600 (or above), GeForce FX 5200 (or above) and nForce 6100 series (or above)
                              • Intel Extreme Graphics 2 (integrated i865G)
                              • Matrox Parhelia
                              • SiS Xabre series
                              • XGI Volari V Series and XP Series
                          • 200 MB free harddisk-drive space for the MediaPortal software
                          • 12 GB or more free harddisk-drive space for Hardware Encoding or Digital TV based TV cards for timeshifting purposes
                          They list only Intel Extreme Graphics 2. This is not the common Intel graphics found on the "bargain" PC's.
                          Last edited by Paul S; 07-11-2008, 10:08 PM.

Comment

ok as of right now, this is what i've managed to do.

i've downloaded powerstrip and will install it once i install the updated drivers, as for downloading them, because my computer is so old and outdated (4 years now) the drivers you suggested zandrax aren't compatible with my card so i've searched for updates for..

Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family <<<< This thing is ANCIENT
                            yet to find updates...

> i've tried adjusting it using the menu but i dont think thats the case.

sorry i4004, i wasn't making myself clear on that one, what i ment by menu was the settings on the actual monitor face, not the driver, BUT i did have a look in the drivers control panel like zandrax suggested but im guessing since i havn't updated it in 4 years thats why theres no X- Y- position that can be altered, We'll see after i install the updates.

Side note: This is a family computer and i won't be spending money to upgrade it, i just need it to work (internet, Homework purposes) and as for Intel, im starting to think they are on the low-end, the support website has poor feedback if you want to have a look http://softwarecommunity.intel.com/i.../30231397.aspx

looks like alot of people are having problems with this brand.

Comment

Comment

AHA! this just proves its not my video card, i got my stock monitor that came with the computer (the big 17" box thing) and hooked it up and the problem is fixed

but i did update the drivers and downloaded powerstrip while my flat-screen was still plugged in, did not help at all.

I STILL WANT THIS FLAT-SCREEN TO WORK AHRHRHRRH!@#!@#!@#

Comment

>You obviously don't have much experience with capturing and viewing HDTV, and I won't waste any more time discussing it with you. HDTV video is MPEG-2, at least here in the USA.

yes, true. mpeg2 in usa, and h264 in europe, on blu-ray and on (now dead) hd-dvd mostly vc1 and h264.
                                  you didn't specify your source of hd prior to this. next time say you're capping and viewing atsc.

as for requirements these are crap lists: mythtv stuff you quoted doesn't even mention is it mpeg2 or h.264(seems to be mpeg2 only), as for mediaportal, well, you try playing back h264 of full res on 2.8ghz and Intel Extreme Graphics 2 and tell me does it work. i say it' won't.

overall i dunno why are you bitching; i never said gpu assisted vc1 and h264 and mpeg2 decoding isn't helpfull. it is on older machines, but i also said that one doesn't need it with powerfull enough cpu.
                                  and that you cannot call this a flaw of older intel gma. it just doesn't have that feature.
                                  like i said, i have 2 gmaa that play hd(any format) without issues. because cpu can do it all.
                                  and it's not like these systems are expensive these days.

>This is not the common Intel graphics found on the "bargain" PC's.

rubbish. this is old chipset and today bargain pcs have integrated graphics that are much faster.
                                  hell, i linked article that shows what's being done today. intel now has integrated chipset that accelerates all hd formats.

back to this
                                  >and I won't waste any more time discussing it with you

good call! i wish you never even mentioned video cards in a thread where monitor was flawed, like i originally said.
                                  i wanted to check if you have anything solid against intel gma, but you don't really.
                                  you were just barking up the wrong tree.

alucard: yes intel gma is low end, and not really good for recent games at all, but with powerfull enough cpu it can do anything those other cards can do when it comes to 2d and video.
                                  when you buy nvidia or ati you're wasting your money on 3d capabilities: if you don't play games you'll never use those.
                                  if you do play recent games, sure nvidia and ati are things to have.
                                  also, if you have older pc and you wanna view hd video, nvidia and ati will help. but i would instead build new machine and have faster system overall.
                                  it's better to have faster cpu and slower gpu(like on new system with intel gma and c2d cpu), than old cpu and fast gpu. because gpu is specialised only for some tasks, while fast cpu means everything works faster.

and again, if you wanna talk relibilityof intel(overall) against acer, there's no contest, acer will always be something i would be checking first.
                                  also, in this case it's much easier to check monitor, than be buying a new video card to check the old one.
                                  Last edited by i4004; 07-12-2008, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Nothing like a good "discussion" to get the juices flowing, yes?

I only mentioned it because I use it to test the video output. It really didn't even apply to the original problem. Sorry to trash talk your favorite video chip, but everyone has their favorites.

Peace, brother.

Now let's get back to helping with the problem. It could be a monitor problem, or still a driver problem. I updated my driver using the Windows update page, and selecting a manual update. You will then find software and hardware driver updates.

Comment

>Sorry to trash talk your favorite video chip, but everyone has their favorites.

actually, i don't. like i said intel, nvidia and ati all work. i used nvidia for long time, it was good. i use intel now, it works. i configured a lot of ati cards, they work too.
                                      intel gma has it's shortcomings (ones we discussed) but for those with decent cpus and not into gaming, it'll do as good job as other two.
                                      that's why i reacted to new card recommendation. somehow i had the hunch this old machine is not used to play hd video or games...heh...

monitor driver is here
                                      http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers...or/al1715.html

but it's probably a busted monitor...if he can't center it on monitor itself it proves monitor is malfunctioning.
                                      monitor driver is helpfull when you need to use monitor's software to do adjustments without touching the monitor.
                                      usually controls on the monitor are unintuitive mess.

Comment

This video clip about monitor problems gets interesting about half way thru.
                                        http://www.break.com/index/stick-fig...-designer.html
                                        Gotta lighten it up somehow.
                                        Jim

Comment

Working...
                                        X