Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help with wine cooler-something buzzing

Hi everyone,

I have a wine cooler that I suspect the transformer is buzzing.
    How can I test the transformer to be sure that it's the culprit (I have tested it for resistence and it was fine, no shorts).
    Is there another test?
    photos attached.
    Thanks.
    Attached Files

Re: help with wine cooler-something buzzing

my suspect would be the choke coil next to the heatsink.

Comment

replace ALL lytics.
      i have a fridge with that exact board and the caps are all shot.

Comment

caps can look A1 from the outside, but still have high ESR. I recapped a fridge board a half a year ago, because of strange behavior...
        Last edited by CapLeaker; 02-03-2018, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
          replace ALL lytics.
          i have a fridge with that exact board and the caps are all shot.
          Did that already. I have an ESR meter.

Comment

Take out the transformers and coils, dip them in lacquer/varnish for a few hours, take them out and allow to dry for 24 hours, solder them back in. Your buzzing problem should be solved.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              my suspect would be the choke coil next to the heatsink.
              Can you mark it please?

Comment

One more thing I have noticed that, one of the transistors (13009-2) on the heat sink is getting very hot while the other one (which is the same one) isn't getting hot at all.

Circled in red.

P.S. I have replaced both of them, replaced a few caps, diodes, resistors and still, the transistor is getting hot and I hear buzzing on the transformer.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by buchman; 02-07-2018, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Does the fridge work? Sounds like there is a high load on that transistor. Maybe DL the datasheet of the AZ494 and probe around it? Can we see the bottom side of the board? Can you circle all the parts you have changed so far on the pic?

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                    Does the fridge work? Sounds like there is a high load on that transistor. Maybe DL the datasheet of the AZ494 and probe around it? Can we see the bottom side of the board? Can you circle all the parts you have changed so far on the pic?
                    the fridge work but the display is flickering.
                    parts that I have changed:
                    2 big caps, 5 diodes, 2 resistors, 2 transistors and a fuse.
                    Attached Files

Comment

It's a good chance those small caps. around the transformer or more likely the ic are bad. They can look ok but be bad.
                      were the parts you replaced bad?
                      Last edited by R_J; 02-07-2018, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                        It's a good chance those small caps. around the transformer or more likely the ic are bad. They can look ok but be bad.
                        were the parts you replaced bad?
                        I have tested all the capacitors out of circuit with an esr 70+ meter, they are all fine.
                        All the parts circled in red that I mentioned before were bad.

Comment

I was just going by the bottom of the board and it did'nt look like the caps like C4 and the 2 between the ic and heatsink had been out

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                            I was just going by the bottom of the board and it did'nt look like the caps like C4 and the 2 between the ic and heatsink had been out
                            Then it probably showed a good reading while in circuit.

Comment

How can I test the ic AZ494AP-E1 with a DMM to be sure that it's the bad part?

Comment

If the power supply is working at all, the ic will be good

Comment

Maybe there is nothing wrong with the psu and just something else drawing too much current from it? So if you plug in the psu into mains by itself with nothing connected, that transistor that got hot should stay cool.

Comment

you may think you bought a wine cooler but on reality it is a wine chiller that slowly over time gets weaker and weaker. The dielectric media or whatever gets cold from that control board slowly dies. Buy a wine cooler (has a compressor) and you won't have to keep fixing the garbage your working on now. Those "electric chillers" are garbage

Comment

Originally posted by ajshoe View Post
                                      you may think you bought a wine cooler but on reality it is a wine chiller that slowly over time gets weaker and weaker. The dielectric media or whatever gets cold from that control board slowly dies. Buy a wine cooler (has a compressor) and you won't have to keep fixing the garbage your working on now. Those "electric chillers" are garbage
                                      That's why I bought it in the first place. I love fixing things (at least trying to fix). even if I fail, each and every time I am trying to fix something I feel a spark in my heart and it's exciting me every time.
                                      I fixed 2 wine chillers successfully and even though I am spending lots of money on the components I am thrilled every time I touch electronics.

I can't find a transformer for a descent price over the internet maybe someone can help me, I think that it's the culprit.

The part number is JBC-983-EEL-19

Thanks a lot guys.

Comment

Doubt that you will find a replacement transformer. Check my other post above.
                                        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Working...
                                        X