Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using old Seasonic and Seventeam 300W PSU for today modern PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using old Seasonic and Seventeam 300W PSU for today modern PC?

Heya all I need your advice..

Lately i had been visiting some local computer shop/market. At there, second hand PSUs were for sale everywhere. Usually i dont bother to look at them, as i knew from my experience those where cheapo bastard psu like simbadda, ersys, premium, deer, or other unreputable brands. Korean PSUs that can be found there are decent but will only suit P3 system. Those were sold all for the same price, $4-5. But then, I was in a need of a bunch of molex connector for my project , a $4 spent wouldnt hurt me, so i took time to look at those cheapo PSUs.

To my surprise, i found:
    - Seventeam 300W and 250W PSUs (about 3 units)
    - Hipro 300W PSUs
    - Seasonic 300W and 250W PSUs (about 3 units)

The Hipro one is a big size unit, it wont fit a standar PC case, but i bought it anyway for my collection. As for the seasonic and seventeam psus, my question is : can i use them for current modern system, that will consist of..
    • Intel E5200 (45nm 2.5GHz)
    • Biostar/Gigabyte motherboard with Nvidia chipset (onboard GPU 7050 or 8200 series) or Intel G31 chipset
    • 2x SATA HDD
    • One SATA DVDRW
    • 3x 9cm Fans
    • PCI Video Editting Card
    ?

Currently i'm building about ~ 10 PC systems, I'm certain they all will be light load systems. I would need those PSUs if it turn out they are decent for my projects. So, let me know what do you think, can i use them? Or are there anything i should worry about? (like atx cable 20 to 24 adaptor)

(Of course they will be recapped before i put them to use..)
    Attached Files
    days are so short when you actually do something..

Re: Using old Seasonic and Seventeam 300W PSU for today modern PC?

In case you need more pics to help me analyze ...

Seasonic SS-300FS PSU (300W) :
    Attached Files

Comment

Seventeam ST-300BLP 300W PSU :
      Attached Files

Comment

These units should be OK for that PC I suppose. I run a PC of similar configuration off a Delta 300W PSU with no problems at all.
        Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Thx Stevo, is your delta have a 24 ATX plug cable?

Comment

If you can find one on ebay where you live, I bought a delta DPS-700

(http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-Gateway-De...2em118Q2el1247)

Only problem is that there is no 8pin cpu connector on this particular model, there is one that does have a 8pin but its not on ebay anymore.

Comment

These are old ATX 1.2 or 1.3 units: most of their output is on the 3.3 and 5V lines because Pentium 3s and Athlons draw power from these. Since P4s and Athlon 64s, computers draw most of their load from the 12 V line so:
              a) open them, clean from dust and check caps: Vent (Seventeam' secondaries) and other known bad brands are suspicious, check their ESR. Replace bulged or marginal caps as well;
              b) ensure there is enough power on the 12 V line: any value above 150 W (e.g. Seventeam's 180 W) is more than enough for a low consumption Core 2 Duo and motherboard with integrated or low-end graphics (Ati 2400 and 3450, nVidia 8400/8500), just avoid anything more demanding;
              c) test voltages at full load: if 3.3 and 5 V lines are too lightly loaded, they may be out of tolerance (higher than 3.46 and 5.25 V respectively: according to ATX standard, +/- 5% tolerance on 3.3 and 5 V lines and 10% on 12 V line).

Zandrax
              Have an happy life.

Comment

@370forlife,
                I would like to have one, but maybe for my other hungry power system. For the current project, i think it will be overkill and has bad efficiency at light load (vs a 300W PSU).

@zandrax,
                Thanks! That was what i thought and worry about, they are ATX v1.3 PSUs. Anyway, i will proceed with the seasonic unit first. Recapping it and testing it would be fun to do. Oh, wow.. a 300W Seasonic $5 PSU.. lol

Later..

Comment

SeaSonic SS-300FS 300W

I really like this unit! It runs virtually silent, a little bit warm, but everything went smooth. Oced the X2 5000+ to 2800Mhz no problem occured.

I temporarily replaced my 500W Silversone with this Seasonic 300W to power my main rig in my signature. It is quieter than that Silverst0ne (which is actually a low noise PSU).

20 pin atx plugs into 24 pin socket:

(What a mess of cables... )

Voltage rails at idle :

Voltage rails at full load :

It rocks solid!

Spec of the PC :
                  • Athlon X2 5000+ BE at 2800Mhz
                  • Biostar TF7050M2 with onboard Nvidia GF7050 GPU
                  • 2GB RAM
                  • 2x HDD
                  • 2x Optical Drive
                  • 3x 9cm San Ace Fans
                  • 1x Modem PCI card

Currently running 2 f@h clients that will be finished in ~ 25 hours. I hope it will make it.
                  Attached Files

Comment

SeaSonic SS-300FS 300W

Before recapped, the unit is in good condition. No burnt marks, no discoloring components, no bulging caps (JPCE-TUR). It started fine with dummy loads.

That black thingy is a foam (for a spacer).

After recapping :

Caps : Nichicon HE, Chemicon LXZ, Chemicon KZJ, Sanyo AG, Samxon GC, Rubycon YXF (for a 47uF 63v).

Hmm..that's it for the SeaSonic PSU. The Seventeam units will have to wait till i get spare time to recap/modif/test it properly.

Any comments are really appreciated..
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hmmm, must have at least 3.3 and 5v sense if the voltage on them increases as the load does.

More likely its more of a crossload situation because of the 12v based computer its powering.

Comment

Yeah, when the load on 12V increased -> 3.3v and 5v rails are up a bit. It is really noticeable on my DMM screen. The same will happen when I playing with the CPU multiplier (example : goes from 1600Mhz to 3000Mhz in a sudden).. The system is stable though..

Comment

Rubycon YXF (for a 47uF 63v)
                          I made a mistake there, it's a 100uf YXF, not 47uF.

Comment

Ghh.. I was back from work and visited the mentioned shop, only to be told that all the remaining seasonics were bought by someone.

Then, I was looking around another shop in the area and found hipro 250W and 300W units. Bought them both although i didn't know yet if they were a decent unit.

Are they any good?

1. Hipro HP-D2537f3H rev.01 (250W)

2. Hipro HP-P302GF3 rev.01 (300W)

Doess Hipro still make SMPS for PC? I only know it for their Old Pentium 3 / P4 PSU.

Comment

Originally posted by yanz
                              Yeah, when the load on 12V increased -> 3.3v and 5v rails are up a bit. It is really noticeable on my DMM screen. The same will happen when I playing with the CPU multiplier (example : goes from 1600Mhz to 3000Mhz in a sudden).. The system is stable though.
                              The psu is a group regulated one so expect some crossload; moreover power draw is higher on the 12 V line than on the 5 V one and this affects voltages: given that values are still within tolerances and ripple should be under control, I wouldn't worry at all.

Good recap for the Seasonic.

About the two HiPros: the brand is [was?] known for good psus with average caps, usually they're worth a recap. The 250W one was employed in some old HP Pavillion desktops and I believe it's pretty low on 12 V (say 11-12 A), the 300 W is only mentioned in an Abit motherboard test: check their labels before buying.

Zandrax
                              Have an happy life.

Comment

Originally posted by yanz
                                Ghh.. I was back from work and visited the mentioned shop, only to be told that all the remaining seasonics were bought by someone.

Then, I was looking around another shop in the area and found hipro 250W and 300W units. Bought them both although i didn't know yet if they were a decent unit.

Are they any good?

1. Hipro HP-D2537f3H rev.01 (250W)

2. Hipro HP-P302GF3 rev.01 (300W)

Doess Hipro still make SMPS for PC? I only know it for their Old Pentium 3 / P4 PSU.
                                Yup, and they're fairly decent.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=148

Comment

@zandrax, thanks! so they are group regulated. i understand that, as todays modern psu are more and more using independent regulation or using big 12v output and derrived 5v and 3.3v from it. yea, i think i wouldnt worry bout the voltage as it's nicely sit within tollerance.

@370forlife, ha! so hipro is still making psu! good to know. thanks for the link.. a bit dissapointed that they are still using the old group regulation technology, but all in all the performance is good enough. and about the loose coil pins, that's stupid from hipro (hope they will address it.. ) now that i know at least the hipro units will deliver the wattage they promises. that's enough for me.
                                  Last edited by yanz; 06-02-2009, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Some update:

I've got another two Seasonic. Currently they are installed and being tested on these fresh new machines. They wont be upgraded for like.. forever... Maybe..

Oh, and Intel E5200 is my new favorit proc. I will build a lot of these machines :

10000 IDR = $1 US

Attached Files

Comment

Too bad that another Seventeam i found are only 250W ones. Besides, the one that i have has burnt marks all over the pcb, plus a dead fan, plus bad capacitors. (i'll show you the pics someday)

So i bought these :

What de.. HEC. I dont feel confident using it. But I remembered back in athlon/p3 era, all my seniors always recomended it. Maybe for a reason. I will tear it open soon to check the innard..
                                      Attached Files

Comment

I have a 5 years old 300 Watt PSU, Enlight HPS-300-101 Rev C. It says 12 Ampere in 12V. Now, the PSU is still working normal to powering old P4 with Geforce MX400 graphic.

Then, i want to upgrade to pentium E5200 with P31 board, no addon graphic card. Can i use this Enlight PSU to powering it? Is it worth to recap this PSU?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                        X