A "nice" YoungYear unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A "nice" YoungYear unit?

So i bought an old-stock Apevia X-Qpack. This comes by default with a "420W" power supply. Since i read this review from JonnyGuru, i thought it would be crap:
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...=Story&reid=79

But i think i've got a newer revision of this psu. Mine got a passive PFC and looks rather complete. I've added some pictures to show it to you guys.

The primary:
    - a pretty much complete input filtering stage
    - Real 250W Passive PFC coil with an added capacitor
    - 2x 2SC2625
    - KBL406 bridge rectifier
    - 2x 470uF primary caps

The secondary:
    12V: SFR20100 Schottky 20A rectifier, pi coil
    5V: SBL3040 Schottky 30A rectifier, pi coil
    3.3V: SFR20100 Schottky 20A rectifier, pi coil

The secondary caps are really crammed together so i still have to take a good look at them to know which one is for which rail. All caps are Fuhhyu ones. The PCB says this is a YoungYear unit. It also is 230V AC only and it seems that if even has a temperature controlled fan.

Now, when i look at the power supply and the components it uses, i really think that the unit JonnyGuru reviewed maybe had a 10A rectifier for the 12V rail?

If i recap the secondary output stage, will i have a reasonable 250W PSU that can deliver about 200W on the 12V rail?
    Attached Files

Re: A "nice" YoungYear unit?

The +5V ampere rating, screams socket 462-era! (or if later than that, a socket-462-era-wannabe!)
    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 11-16-2018, 07:36 PM.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I just replaced the 12V rectifier for a MBR4045PT and it works just fine with it. I hope this will give it some more leeway on the 12V rail. It does look quite good, 2 of those big packages on the secondary heatsink. I actually found a production date on the pcb, it says february 2006.

I will wait for you guys to see what you think this power supply can do on the 12V line, if it is good enough i will recap it with some panny's.

Comment

Originally posted by bauto601 View Post
        I actually found a production date on the pcb, it says february 2006.
        2006? That would be a bit more than late enough for +12V-dominated specs! Even back then, was considered the post "5V-CPU-input-era". The 24-pin ATX connector standard, also apparently started in 2005, if not sometime in 2004, when the first-gen socket 775 systems (way before Core 2!) debuted! (And of course, the DDR2 SDRAM that was probably slower than DDR1, LOL)

Because the Athlon 64 was considered mainstream for the most part already. It was just facking places (and probably AMD having something to do with it, too, even though not insane like the FX-of-that-period-pricing!) that wanted to charge for Athlon 64s like they weren't mainstream, despite motherboards for socket 462 being mostly discontinued and I only expected a few-in-comparison socket 462 Athlons to even have been manufactured, LOL.
        2004 was the last year for most socket 462 Athlons.

I think a local store, IIRC, charged roughly as much for a single core processor build as a dual core processor build at that time. (or 2007, of course!) And thus, I still had socket 462 and socket 478 in 2006, 2007 and a major amount of 2008!
        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 11-21-2018, 10:31 PM.
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

This is a half bridge unit so a diode package rated 45v reverse voltage should not be used on the 12v rail, I mean you can do it but if the reverse voltage peaks at more than 45v you are going to see some magic smoke

Comment

Originally posted by Drack View Post
            This is a half bridge unit so a diode package rated 45v reverse voltage should not be used on the 12v rail, I mean you can do it but if the reverse voltage peaks at more than 45v you are going to see some magic smoke
            +10

Not uncommon for 45V rectifiers to blow on the 12V rail, unless the 12V rail transformer windings are center-tapped to the 5V rectified output (done on some newer H-bridge PSU designs to improve 5V-12V rail loading, but it decreases efficiency).

If i recap the secondary output stage, will i have a reasonable 250W PSU that can deliver about 200W on the 12V rail?
            Looks like the answer is Yes.
            I have a similar YY PSU (Aspire / Apevia ATX-AS520W) based on the same platform. But I haven't finished recapping it due to other projects, and as such I haven't been able to load test it with a more powerful rig to see how it does.

That said, your PSU did have a 20 Amp stock rectifier on the 12V rail, so the 12V rail should be able to reach 200 Watts in theory. The primary side also has TO-3P devices, so that too should allow the PSU to do at least 200 Watts (for TO-3P parts, you're probably looking at 300-350 Watts limit on the primary side... maybe 400W with a really good design).

Anyways, if you do recap the PSU, make sure to also do the 5VSB output, as well as all of the small electrolytic capacitors.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post

That said, your PSU did have a 20 Amp stock rectifier on the 12V rail, so the 12V rail should be able to reach 200 Watts in theory. The primary side also has TO-3P devices, so that too should allow the PSU to do at least 200 Watts (for TO-3P parts, you're probably looking at 300-350 Watts limit on the primary side... maybe 400W with a really good design).

Anyways, if you do recap the PSU, make sure to also do the 5VSB output, as well as all of the small electrolytic capacitors.
              Well taking into account that 130009 can't (on most cases) go above 350w (sometimes 400w but it's not that common) and are 2A more powerful than the ones on this YY I would say 300w just to be safe

Comment

The power supply luckily doesn't have that many small caps so i will do a full recap. It is going to power the following system:

AMD Ryzen 3 1200
                16GB DDR4
                Asrock B450M Pro4
                Gigabyte RX560 4GB
                256GB SSD
                And some RGB bullshit

That shouldn't be too power hungry. Thanks for noticing that the rectifier isn't rated at a high enough voltage, i will swap that one today. The power supply had a test load on it for about an hour and it dit just fine. 12.6V on the 12V rail, so i was lucky that the magic smoke didn't escape yet. Thanks for all the feedback and i will keep you guys posted about the performance of this unit.

Comment

That would be a heavy 12v PC, but probably ok because that CPU is only 65w and 75w for the GPU, just do not overclock it with that PSU.
                  If later you have some extra cash you could buy a 430w from EVGA or the 500w it would be Overkill but at least are safe and kind of cheap

Comment

Well, i need this PSU because of it's small size and the looks of the case. It's going to be more of a "Show" pc than really a performance pc. Because i also have to put some watercooling into the case, i really need the extra space that this PSU gives. Heck, i've even got a CX430M laying right next to me....

And it's always fun to mod and reuse stuff that wouldn't be used otherwise.

Comment

And do the small caps need to be low-esr?

Comment

No the small ones don't need to, just match the specs , but I would still recommend a beefier rectifier for 12v, a water pump can draw a significant amount of power and you are very limited with 20A

Comment

That would be a heavy 12v PC, but probably ok because that CPU is only 65w and 75w for the GPU, just do not overclock it with that PSU.
                          I concur.
                          That system probably won't peak more than 200W DC load. So it should be okay, indeed.

That said, since the 12V rail did go as high as 12.6V with a load, I'd say keep a good watch on the 5V and 12V rail the first time you run the PSU with your PC to make sure they don't go above/below spec. Use a multimeter for measuring the voltages on the PSU and not the motherboard sensors, as they are often not accurate.

Well, i need this PSU because of it's small size and the looks of the case. It's going to be more of a "Show" pc than really a performance pc.
                          Yeah, that's understandable. These PSUs were quite popular back in the day for that. The Aspire PSU I have, I saved it for the same reason - mostly looks and not so much because of function. It doesn't have the clear see-through windows in its case like yours, but it does have green UV-reactive connectors and sleeved wires. It's great for that early 2000's "PC ricer" style, when windowed PC cases were first starting to appear and components were as colorful as the rainbow in order to stand out.

And now it's all black hardware with standard LEDs built in - pretty boring, IMO. I bet that PSU of yours will indeed be the most interesting item about the build.

And do the small caps need to be low-esr?
                          Not necessarily. But if you can find them, then do use low ESR. Otherwise regular 105C GP caps will likely do just fine too.

For low ESR small ones, you can use...
                          Nichicon: PS, PM, PJ, PW, PA, HE
                          Panasonic: FC, FR, FM, FS
                          Rubycon: YXJ, YXG, ZL, ZLH
                          United Chemicon: LXY, LXZ, LXV, KY, KZE
                          Last edited by momaka; 11-24-2018, 09:08 PM.

Comment

So i just replaced all the caps for the output rails and 5vsb with nice Panasonic caps. I also upgraded the 2200uF caps on the 3.3V and 5V rail to 2700uF. There unfortunately wasn't any room for a larger 12V cap, so that one still is a 3300uF part.

I also ordered a new rectifier for the 12V rail. A DSSK 40-008B 2x20A (40A total) rectifier which is rated at 80V. The forward voltage is also lower than the original part and it has the bigger package. So that should help with the temperature of the rectifier.

Comment

yes that should help, i think 80v might be high enough so you will probably be fine.
                              there is only one cap on 12v?

Comment

yes that should help, i think 80v might be high enough so you will probably be fine.
                                there is only one cap on 12v?
                                Yeah, only one cap and a pi coil.

Comment

Ouch poor hdd, he just wanted to have an easy life on the storage business and you are feeding him with ripple
                                  Last edited by Drack; 12-10-2018, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Well, the rectifier took 1 month to arrive. I replaced the rectifier and powered on the PC. It works great, there is only one minor problem. All the voltage rails are reading a bit high. Especially the 3.3V.

12V: 12.6V real
                                    5V: 5.2V real
                                    3.3V: 3.5V real (all measured with a Fluke mm, and motherboard bios agrees)

I don't think it will cause any problem, i will keep an eye at the voltages. I really don't want to take this whole thing apart for the third time...

Comment

Hello Bauto601.

Those voltages are within tolerance, I would not worry about that.

Greetings.

Comment

Actually not, 3.465 is the maximum allowed by ATX specs.
                                        12.6 is the maximum allowed so as long as it doesn't go beyond that it should be fine.
                                        I would still recommend not using that PSU, but that's up to you, you could see if the cx430m board fits in the case of the apevia.
                                        Remember to check all the voltages when the PC is at idle and full load (prime95 and furmark)

Comment

Working...
                                        X