Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is an L&C power supply suitable for a Celeron 2.2GHz PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is an L&C power supply suitable for a Celeron 2.2GHz PC?

Originally posted by ratdude747
    i bet that case was as flimsy as hell. a fly lands on it and it crumples. complete shit.
    That case was for my previous computer with a Pentium 4 3.2GHz HT processor, it was better than those flimsy POWMAX cases with shiny thin sheet metal full of sharp edges, but not as durable as high quality cases such as the ones from Antec.

I never used that L&C to power a Prescott Pentium 4, probably it would blow the second the power switch is pressed and kill all the components.
    My gaming PC:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
    ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
    PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
    G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
    TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
    WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
    ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
    Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
    Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

In all honesty, the power supply is probably a fire hazard, something you would not want to leave on and unattended in your home. It seems to be very lacking in protection circuitry.
      Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

yeah, i used to own a pow max case. it got so beat up i canned it. i got cut on it a lot. just like a candy wrapper, shiny but still trash.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Some of allied's new cases are actually pretty nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson
            Please do post another picture showing the secondary side 12v, 3,3v and 5v heatsink and whatever they decided to attach to that heatsink, just for the fun of it
            Here you go:

Originally posted by 370forlife
            Some of allied's new cases are actually pretty nice.
            Any pictures?
            My gaming PC:

Comment

Pos Alert!!!
              sigpic

Comment

Small secondary side silicon, not to mention using two diodes for the 12v.

A linkworld psu JG tested had this same setup for the 12v, diodes look about the same. Together they were good for 6A

Comment

why do people even buy these things?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                    why do people even buy these things?
                    because places like computergeeks will sell you one for less than $20 shipped!
                    walmart mentality and sheeple who dont know any better.

Comment

maybe we need a couple sticky threads:

-good power supply brands

-bad power supply brands

it can be a mess because some make good everything, some make good cases and shit power supplies (and vice-versa), and some only produce shit. like antec. i still have friends who swear by that crap, ill see who is laughing when you system dies...
                      sigpic

Comment

Ratdude747, Antec's power supplies are in fact high quality dependable power supplies. They're rebranded, I know they did have units from Channel Well (the infamous ones with Fuhjyyu caps) and Seasonic? (I don't remember, please correct me if I am wrong)

My Antec 380W PSU is not a lightweight piece of trash like a Deer or POWMAX power supply, it has some weight to it, and it has active PFC and the 80 PLUS efficiency rating. I've been running it for over a year and it has performed flawlessly.

While the Channel Well power supplies Antec has had do have capacitor failures due to the shoddy Fuhjyyu caps in them, the overall design is very good and they are very solid power supplies with a nice recap.
                        My gaming PC:

Comment

A linkworld psu JG tested had this same setup for the 12v, diodes look about the same. Together they were good for 6A
                          Is this the JG review of the Linkworld PSU? http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...print&reid=123

I was laughing when I saw the test results, seriously 3V of ripple on the 12V rail?
                          My gaming PC:

Comment

Newbie2; Hahaha, yea, that is the exact review we are talking about
                            And also why I wanted you to post the second picture

Prooving that your PSU also, how should I put this, generates it's "12v cough" from two frecking diodes!

Do try to read the markings on them, their rating is how many amperes +12v the PSU can deliver
                            No wait, lets say it's how many 9>15v amperes the PSU can deliver
                            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I'm in a minority here, but if those 3A rectifiers on the +12v rail are replaced with a 20C200 20A, 200V TO-220 rectifier, *and* the fan is replaced by a ball-bearing fan (say NMB), that L&C PSU will outlive the Celeron box that you were planning to put it into. I've done upgrades to about a dozen or so L&Cs, and no upgraded unit has failed in about 2 years powering P4 Northwood boxes up to 2.8 GHz. It will comfortably put out about 150W to 200W, enough for basic Northwood boxes - a Northwood Celeron 2.2 is no problem at all.

BTW, I can get recycled Delta 300W units for about $25 locally, so that's my PSU of choice now. But before the recession hit, the good stuff wasn't readily available and I had to upgrade and use the junk stuff - which hasn't hurt as much as I thought it would. The L&C is a very reliable design *if* it's assembled with good components.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxguru
                                I'm in a minority here, but if those 3A rectifiers on the +12v rail are replaced with a 20C200 20A, 200V TO-220 rectifier, *and* the fan is replaced by a ball-bearing fan (say NMB), that L&C PSU will outlive the Celeron box that you were planning to put it into. I've done upgrades to about a dozen or so L&Cs, and no upgraded unit has failed in about 2 years powering P4 Northwood boxes up to 2.8 GHz. It will comfortably put out about 150W to 200W, enough for basic Northwood boxes - a Northwood Celeron 2.2 is no problem at all.

BTW, I can get recycled Delta 300W units for about $25 locally, so that's my PSU of choice now. But before the recession hit, the good stuff wasn't readily available and I had to upgrade and use the junk stuff - which hasn't hurt as much as I thought it would. The L&C is a very reliable design *if* it's assembled with good components.
                                I don't think the Celeron 2.2GHz Northwood processor is a power-hungry processor, and I am only using the integrated graphics and audio in this computer I'm talking about, so I think the two diodes powering the 12V of this L&C power supply are just adequate enough.

I find that Digikey doesn't stock the 20C200 part you're talking about, it's listed as "Non-Stock" and requires a minimum order quantity of 350. I am not looking for that many parts. I've tried to find other parts that are similar in specification to your 20C200, and so far I'm looking at this one:
                                http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...=497-3547-5-ND
                                Datasheet:

Can you tell me, linuxguru or anyone experienced with this, if the part I linked will be suitable compared with the 20C200? (the 20C200's link on Digikey is here http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...DPG20C200PB-ND, datasheet )
                                Last edited by Newbie2; 07-29-2009, 08:07 AM.
                                My gaming PC:

Comment

Both those parts on Digikey are good enough - it says that you need to order 350 to get the price break of $0.78, but the standard package size is still 50 units (probably still too many). You can even go for slightly lower spec devices like 2 x 6A or 2 x 7.5A, and they'll still be better than the 2 x 3A discrete rectifiers that are standard on Deer/L&C. You can also go for lower voltages like 100V, but 200V makes it bulletproof against startup spikes, etc.

Other manufacturers of similar spec rectifiers are Philips (NXP), MOSPEC and possibly IR. Just make sure that it's a centre-pin common-cathode pinout (most devices use this pinout).
                                  Last edited by linuxguru; 07-29-2009, 08:36 AM. Reason: line break

Comment

Newbie2: the type STTH2002CT is OK, it has different characteristics from DPG20C200PB but not important in your case.

Very often the manufacturers test devices at different condition so it is hard sometimes to compare devices coming from different brand, even if they have the same type number.

Ciao
                                    Gianni
                                    "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
                                    H. J. Brown

Comment

Okay, thanks for the information linuxguru and Gianni. I'll order the STTH2002CT part next time I decide to order from Digikey.

I've had this L&C power supply since 2005, so it's been 4 years now, and it's been in multiple systems including an Athlon XP 2200+ system that was parted out. It was in regular use back then, so it's reliable for me when used in older less demanding systems.

I'm guessing when the two diodes in it get replaced with the proper part my power supply will be perfect.
                                      Last edited by Newbie2; 07-29-2009, 09:41 AM.
                                      My gaming PC:

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2
                                        Ratdude747, Antec's power supplies are in fact high quality dependable power supplies. They're rebranded, I know they did have units from Channel Well (the infamous ones with Fuhjyyu caps) and Seasonic? (I don't remember, please correct me if I am wrong)

My Antec 380W PSU is not a lightweight piece of trash like a Deer or POWMAX power supply, it has some weight to it, and it has active PFC and the 80 PLUS efficiency rating. I've been running it for over a year and it has performed flawlessly.

While the Channel Well power supplies Antec has had do have capacitor failures due to the shoddy Fuhjyyu caps in them, the overall design is very good and they are very solid power supplies with a nice recap.
                                        i was referring th their use of fuhjyyu caps. i even had a antec with very wimpy heatsinks. i heard it is getting better but still the older stuff was trash.
                                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by linuxguru
                                          The L&C is a very reliable design *if* it's assembled with good components.
                                          I agree. The only bad ones were with the old 5vsb self-oscilating circuit.

I also have a gutless L&C that has the same dual-12v diode "schottky" rectifier. Other than bad 12v regulation (and by that I mean you can hear the hard drive revving up and down from the voltage fluctuation), it's been in service for 7 (??) years now. Not sure if it even had the self-oscillating 5vsb circuit as well.
                                          But it's the PI coils that make the difference between stable and unstable power supply. I also have another L&C (a B-design like yours above but with normal 12v rectifier) that doesn't have those PI coils, and it couldn't handle a PIII while the older L&C with the dual-12v diodes which had the PI coils could just fine.
                                          So once you replace the 12v diodes with a proper rectifier, make sure to add some PI coils as well. And if you have bigger caps, put them in. 3.3v and 5v rails should have 2x 2200uF caps. 12v rail should have 2x 1500uF caps minimum if used on a 12v system.

Thats definitely one of L&C's worse units.
                                          The whole line of L&C units is like that (I think it's the cheapest line too for I have yet to see a good L&C). Even though Deer and Allied also share L&C's PCBs, they are much better. Reason being is they use better components. Design-wise the PCBs are the same.

Comment

Working...
                                          X