Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is an L&C power supply suitable for a Celeron 2.2GHz PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is an L&C power supply suitable for a Celeron 2.2GHz PC?

Also, the PWM chip on that Pro Power 250W power supply is a TL494CN.
    My gaming PC:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
    ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
    PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
    G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
    TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
    WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
    ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
    Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
    Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

everel, that athena is one the the biggest POS' i have seen. i think i puked in my mouth looking at that . and to think i thought about whether athena was good or not... tho low price told me not, was i ever right! complete shit, even worse than a deer...

newbie2-

good job on the enermax! much better than the l&shit will ever come close to being e it instead if you can.

as for the piss-power...

that is the wimpy-ist heatsink (not plural!) i have ever seen. one coil, few guts, i think i only saw 2 diodes, not 4. what a POS it is. maybe good for 75w on a good day...
      Last edited by ratdude747; 08-06-2009, 11:03 PM.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

more on the athena:

i bet it had wimpy heatsinks. pics of that please, i need more to laugh at.

no x/y caps

1 transformer

thin wire (i bet you had an easy time cutting it LOL)

few caps, and what is there is tiny

lots of jumper wire

i take it back. the assthena is worse than the piss-power!
        Last edited by ratdude747; 08-06-2009, 11:13 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

That Pro Power 250W is missing its secondary side heatsink and diodes, since I removed them as soldering practice back then. But, its secondary heatsink was wimpy.

The Enermax 300W power supply I had was put into my brother's computer, he used to have a "The Best Power" MT-500P 500W power supply. He complained of random restarts once in a while, so I thought replacing the power supply might solve the issue. It will also be a test for the Enermax 300W power supply, to see if the new capacitors I installed will do their job. I have new pictures of that "500W" power supply that I'll post here tomorrow.
          My gaming PC:

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2
            That Pro Power 250W is missing its secondary side heatsink and diodes, since I removed them as soldering practice back then. But, its secondary heatsink was wimpy.

The Enermax 300W power supply I had was put into my brother's computer, he used to have a "The Best Power" MT-500P 500W power supply. He complained of random restarts once in a while, so I thought replacing the power supply might solve the issue. It will also be a test for the Enermax 300W power supply, to see if the new capacitors I installed will do their job. I have new pictures of that "500W" power supply that I'll post here tomorrow.
            and yet another gutless wonder...
            sigpic

Comment

Newbie2 - Your modifications to the L&C look good; however, Nichicon PW on the primary side is overkill and may actually decrease reliability a bit. Why? because they are low-ESR, so the inrush surge current is going to be limited only by the thermistor, if there is one, on the primary side. Depending on the instant when it is plugged in, it could either:

a) blow the fuse
              b) blow the primary-side bridge rectifier.

Anyway, if the system is going to be always left plugged in, and if there's no problem at the moment, you can just forget about this possibility for now, and be happy. Everything else looks bulletproof.

Comment

Power supply built quality sticky...

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
                  Power supply built quality sticky...
                  I agree, post the stuff there.
                  It's more organized that way when people search these forums.
                  And we can keep the discussion in the Power Supply Built Quality Pictorial Discussion.

Comment

My L&C power supply after a good period of use, and I upgraded the video card in the computer to a recapped (Panasonic and Rubycon capacitors) Diablotek ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB DDR AGP 8X video card.

The stock speeds of the video card were 400MHz core and 200MHz DDR (400MHz). The 9600 chip on the video card is the 9600XT chip, RV360 (checked by removing the heatsink), so with ATITool I put the core speed up to 500MHz, the standard speed for the 9600XT RV360 chip, and it works without any issues (no artifacts in 3DMark03, Rainbow Six 3 Raven Shield, and the CoD4 PC demo). The DDR chips on the video card are of the cheap elixir brand and are running at their rated speed.

My L&C power supply is showing no problems running the video card.
                    My gaming PC:

Comment

Yup, newer deers are actually not that bad after your rebuild them. I'm lovin' my 350W rosewill now that it is rebuilt.

Comment

I'll post pictures of the Celeron 2.2GHz computer that I have soon.

Deer power supplies have good designs, but the components that they use in their power supplies can be shoddy in quality, especially the capacitors and the fan.
                        My gaming PC:

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2
                          My L&C power supply after a good period of use,
                          Oops I forgot to put "still works well" between supply and after.
                          My gaming PC:

Comment

Working...
                          X