Antec SP-500 recap successful :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antec SP-500 recap successful :)

OK, for anybody following this thread, I successfully recapped my brother's Antec SP-500 power supply.

Here are the before pictures:

Input caps - the one on the left is bulging

+5vsb caps - one leaking and the other bulging

The best pictures I could get through all the awful wires of the output side, all Fuhjyyu!

So here are the replacements
    input caps:
    2x 1200uF @ 200v Panasonic UQ 85C -> 2x 1000uF @ 200v Panasonic HC 105C

output caps:
    +5vsb
    2x 1000uF @ 10v Fuhjyyu TN -> 2x 1000uF @ 10v Panasonic FM

+3.3v
    2x 4700uF @ 6.3v Fuhjyyu TM -> 2x 2700uF @ 6.3v Panasonic FC

+5v
    1x 1000uF @ 10v Fuhjyyu TM and 1x 2200uF @ 10v Fuhjyyu TM -> 2x 1500uF @ 10v Panasonic FM

+12v
    1x 3300uF @ 16v Fuhjyyu TM -> 1x 3900uF @ 16v Nichicon HE (12.5mm diameter stuffed into a spot for a 10mm...it is absolutely ENORMOUS in there)

the -12v filter cap is buried way back in there, and I figured it wasn't worth it to try to replace it. What uses -12v anyway?

For the input caps, there was one I could get that was 1200uF, but it was only rated for 85C. So I decided to go down a size in capacitance for the extra endurance, because silly antec doesn't run one of the fans unless it gets way hot, and it must have gotten way hot in there before to bulge the panasonic that was already there.

For the +3.3v, i can't believe the 4700uF caps in there were rated honestly to begin with, and his new computer is a pentium D system, and shouldn't have much load on the +3.3v line, so the 2700's I put in there should be fine.

Here are the after pictures:

Input side:

+5vsb caps (looking through the fan hole instead of from above):

and the output side, sorry the picture is so bad, but those wires will not cooperate. you can see the giant nichicon HE, the (relatively) small FMs, and then the blue FCs behind the red wires:

I plugged it in with a small dummy load on the +12v and measured the voltages, they were all great (don't remember them exactly though off the top of my head). then I took it into my brothers room, and it's been running in there hooked up to an old hard drive, and old CD drive, and a fan. I'm going to let it run all night, and if there are no explosions or anything, I'll assume it's all good Sorry the pictures aren't very good...one of the drawbacks using real wire instead of the 20 gauge crap that I'm used to.

Hopefully this PSU will now last a good long time for my brother.
    Attached Files

Re: Antec SP-500 recap successful

Congrats!

Job well done. It is a very good idea to test with old hardware instead of your mobo.

Comment

Nice job congratulation.
      Originally posted by etnietering
      Sorry the pictures aren't very good...
      I don't think so, they are clear enough.
      I have posted very bad pics in some thread because I'm not so good to take close up.

Ciao
      Gianni
      "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
      H. J. Brown

Comment

Good job!

Thanks for listing the caps you used. Hope that will help someone else down the road.

Toast
        veritas odium parit

Comment

replace the bleeder resistors across those input caps too.

Comment

alright, later tonight I'll take it apart again and replace the bleeder resistors. did they fail, and that's what caused the primary cap to bulge? I have some 1/2 watt 330K ohm resistors I can use.

It's been running for more than 12 hours now, and all seems good. I measured the voltages:
            +12 : 12.52
            +5 : 5.12
            +3.3 : 3.37
            +5sb : 5.09
            -12 : -11.80
            I don't have an oscilloscope or anything to check the ripple though...oh well
            I'll report later about the bleeder resistors

Comment

ok well it turns out there are 3 bleeder resistors - a 560K 1/2 watt across the yellow X cap, you can see it in the first picture. this one looks fine to me. the other two are tiny little SMD resistors that I have neither the skill nor replacement parts to fix. How important is it to replace these?

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                Would a bad bleeder resistor contribute to these Panny caps go bad?

You do mean the 560k that etnietering has found, right?

Comment

Originally posted by etnietering
                  alright, later tonight I'll take it apart again and replace the bleeder resistors. did they fail, and that's what caused the primary cap to bulge?
                  I don't think so because I have an Enermax EG365P-VD that has no bleeders.

Comment

this is a pet peeve of mine but, your heatsinks suck for 500w. don't you love fraud?
                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Actually the Antec has been load tested for 500 Watts yes the heatsinks are a bit undersized BUT it will run at 500 Watts but it will get real toasty and one guy said it has an odd odor but still ran.

Can't remember the site now but it was one of those PSU reviewers who load tests them, measures ripple, and gives the PSU a component review.

Also as the efficency of these supplies improve their heatsinks will be reduced in size.
                      Last edited by Krankshaft; 08-17-2009, 05:02 AM.
                      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory&ndar_id=8

He did a antec neopower after recapping it. The second one he did has even worse heatsinks, and it still did 600w.

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
                          http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory&ndar_id=8

He did a antec neopower after recapping it. The second one he did has even worse heatsinks, and it still did 600w.
                          Even if a recap on both those power supplies slightly worsened ripple, I'd still prefer that than cheap Fuhjyyu capacitors blowing up and spilling out a whole lot of ripple to my computer.
                          My gaming PC:
                          AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                          ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                          PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                          G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                          TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                          WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                          ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                          Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                          Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                          Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                          Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

A Open Z350-08ATA E190414 (FSP group INC PSU, heavy nice PSU)

Got one for anyone to read:

PC didn't want to kick up even I jumpered the PWR_ON wire to ground, standby power is there (due to lit LED on ASUS board).

One and only one BLOATED 3300uF 16V Capxon. Going to disassemble rest of way and check to make sure nothing seriously blown. Loaded caps of teapos, Jracicons (sp?) and capxon. Intend to recap this PSU and put it with one of PCs I have in bits.

What kicker about it. Only hint of dust along fan blades and not even hint of hot spot cooked. Basically BRAND new look for a 2007 PSU.

Cheers, Wizard
                            Last edited by Wizard; 08-17-2009, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lucky13
                              Would a bad bleeder resistor contribute to these Panny caps go bad?
                              You do mean the 560k that etnietering has found, right?
                              I remember reading somewhere (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the bleeder resistors in parallel with the primary electrolytic capacitors are also there to make sure the voltage across those capacitors is even (hence why they might be important).
                              As for the 560k resistor in parallel with the X cap, I doubt that one is that important.

Comment

just an update - put it in my brother's computer and it wouldn't work, couldn't figure out why. So I tried another PSU I had and it didn't work either, but my logisys did. both are rated much higher and of far higher quality than my logisys...so I began my investigation. the only difference I could find is that the logisys has an 8 pin ATX12v connector, and the other two only have 4 pin ones. So we ordered him one of those, and I just received word that it works! (I'm up at school now) So I guess the guys at Intel know what they're doing, and wouldn't let you use just a 4 pin with that pig of a pentium D. Cool

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                                  kc8adu,

Can you tell me which picture and where is this bleeder resistor you are referring to?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka
                                    I remember reading somewhere (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the bleeder resistors in parallel with the primary electrolytic capacitors are also there to make sure the voltage across those capacitors is even (hence why they might be important).
                                    You are right.

They also discharge the caps to avoid electric shock when you open it.

The same for the yellow x cap: even if it is connected to AC input, it could remain charged when you unplug the PSU, it could happen you disconnect it when the input voltage is on the maximum peak of the sinusoid.

Ciao
                                    Gianni
                                    "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins...Not through strength, but through persistence."
                                    H. J. Brown

Comment

Working...
                                    X