Question about MOVs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about MOVs

Hi, I salvaged 2 small MOVs out of an old power supply, and was hoping to put them in my logisys. The only places I can see for them to go are in parallel with the bleeder resistors across the primary caps. These spots are labeled VD1 and VD2....the power supply I got them out of had them labeled MOV1 and MOV2. They're in the same place schematically in the old power supply, but I want to make sure I'm putting them in the right spot. I drew up a schematic of the input side of my power supply, and VD1 and VD2 are the places where I think the MOVs go:

Can anybody clarify this for me? I don't want to put them in and have it 'splode...

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Re: Question about MOVs

Take a look at thread named "Power supply build quality pictorial.closed.use part 2", page 19, post #372 about Compaq HP-Q250GF3. Ends with page 20, post #387. It has a discussion on the MOV, in particular a pair of MOV's that blew up.
    Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

OK so either they do go there, and that PSU got hit with a huge surge which blew them up, or they don't go there and that will happen to mine when everything's fine...which is it?

Comment

The MOVs there are to protect primary components from excessive input voltage (like when you turn the voltage selector switch to "110V" but plug it to a 220V line). They're rated at ~200V and will conduct above this point. If they hold on for a while before breaking up, the fuse will blow, protecting the primary circuit.

In the end you have two MOVs and a fuse blown, which are easy to replace, instead of primary caps, primary switchers, bridge rectifiers or so(spreading e'lytic everywhere and causing fire probably).

Comment

Working...
        X