Philips sunmobil HP3132/B sunbed xformer and cap shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philips sunmobil HP3132/B sunbed xformer and cap shot

Having a quick look at this found a 25uf cap with no cap reading and xformer with open high side winding, theres an obvious brown out spot on the windings and has no continuity.

Should be ok getting a suitable replacement cap but seem to be having difficulty sourcing a xformer.

Also need to identify the component in the cap wiring connector, see last photo, which is connected between the 2 cap lugs.

From what I can make out its 240v pri, 0 - 9 - 0 - 24v sec dual output chassis mount transformer. Only markings on it is:
    P-045 PUTRANS.

Any help finding a replacement or alternative solution please. There is limited space in the casing.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by notallbad; 04-23-2021, 02:51 AM.

Re: Philips sunmobil HP3132/B sunbed xformer and cap shot

Part of a sm I have been able to find.
    Attached Files

Comment

the thing in the cap is a high value resistor to discharge the cap when off - so you dont get a shock off it.

the cap is a PF (power factor) correction cap because you have an inductive choke driving each flourescent lamp

Comment

Thanks, so it might not be quite so easy sourcing one of those caps either then?

Comment

you dont need the resistor - it's probably fine anyway.

Comment

Ok, so apart from not necessarily needing the resistor, suspect it is naff cos getting a fluctuating ohm reading from it, do you know of a suitable replacement cap?
            thanks again!

Comment

https://www.rapidonline.com/ducati-4...acitor-10-2952
              maybe that

Comment

Thanks, may well replace all 4 caps eventually but will see how sourcing a transformer goes first.
                I guess that dual transformer could be replaced with 2 singles, I'd just have to work out a way to mount them as I think finding a dual with 9 and 24v outputs is gonna prove unlikely.

Any idea what I would replace it with? Not sure about the va rating. I can find 230v to 9v and 230v to 24v transformers but not sure which ones to get.
                Last edited by notallbad; 04-23-2021, 02:33 PM.

Comment

9 and 24v is often found in chinese soldering stations.
                  so maybe look on ali-express

Comment

Thanks, I had looked on ali but didnt at first find any.

Opened up my chinese 858d hot air station, 28v & 14v off load outputs on my dmm, obviously these will be lower under load, pcb has 9v and 24v printed on it so assuming thats what the xfrmer output will/should be under load.
                    Oddly can't find a dual 9v - 24v xformer but can find a 3 voltage output 24v 30v 10v transformer.
                    24v 30v 10v xformer - £21.37
                    858D hot air station - £29.64 or £28.98 on ebay with 3 day del.
                    Erm, wot to do? Actually the form factor of the 24-30-10 xfmr is larger and may have difficulty fitting it in.
                    Last edited by notallbad; 04-24-2021, 03:05 PM.

Comment

You might get lucky and there could be a thermal fuse in the primary of the transformer, You will need to carefully peal back the tape and any insulator cardboard, and you might find the thermal fuse, If it does have one, I usually try replacing it with a 1 amp fuse TO START with to see if the transformer is or is not shorted. if the transformer seems to be ok, THEN install a new thermal fuse.
                      Last edited by R_J; 04-24-2021, 04:01 PM.

Comment

858d is not a soldering station
                        remember - soldering irons are 24v
                        hot air is 230v

Comment

Sadly no thermal fuse, and the 0-110v pri windings are also shot otherwise I may have been able to run it on 110v. Thats if it is indeed 110 and not 220, 380 etc
                          Last edited by notallbad; 04-24-2021, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Think I'm going to have to just order another 858D hot air station £27 incl post. Can't find anything cheaper.
                            So can either take the xfmr out of my one or the new arrival if its the same. Either way, I'll still have a hot air gun and the xfmr I need plus hot gun spares.

Comment

not 858d
                              soldering IRON bases

i may have a transformer - where are you located.

Comment

Uk.
                                Attached Files

Comment

what city / region?

Comment

wiltshire

Comment

damn - have to see how much it weigh's to see how much the post office will fuck me!
                                      actually i should dig it out and check the size first.
                                      it came from a 48w soldering station.

Comment

All up and running!
                                        Bought an 858D hot air station for £27 and used the 24v 11v output xfmr and bought 4 x 25uf caps for £15 just in case I needed more but only used one.
                                        I guess that a dual 12v output transformer would have worked.

Comment

Working...
                                        X