PCI-X Video cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PCI-X Video cards

I looked these up on the Matrox site. They claim to have Linux drivers for these

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Looks interesting, anybody have any experience with these?

Found another card (hilarious). This is medical imaging grayscale only.
    Hope no one jumped at this:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Re: PCI-X Video cards

Did you mean to post those links in reverse?
    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

No, the order is correct. The sexier-looking card is the medical imaging card with 256MB.

Comment

the only problem is that matrox's are more for display rather than fun 3d stuff. otherwise they are solid for display.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbeark View Post
          No, the order is correct. The sexier-looking card is the medical imaging card with 256MB.
          Interesting. The first card looks like a Mac interface?
          Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

^
            The matrox cards are for PCI-X, which is interchangeable (slot-wise) with a PCI64 slot. A PCI-X slot runs at 100/133MHz, it was the blooming failure of a craze before PCI-E, it never caught on.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

I think MegaRAID makes PCI-X video cards, i'm not sure. The max could be 64bit. Instead of AGP the card could fit into a standard PCI BUS if i'm correct.
              they call, they telnet, I hangup, I laugh, I get hiccups and digital breakups.

Comment

PCI-X (not PCI Express) was most likely to be used in workstations and servers.
                Version 1.0 had 133MHz operation (September 1999), while Version 2.0 (July 2002) had 266MHz and 533MHz operation with subdivision of 64-bit data bus into 32-bit or 16-bit segments for multiple devices.
                My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

^
                  That is correct, I didn't know they made video cards for them, there was talk of it, but I've never actually seen one. Seen them more used for SCSI RAID controllers and multi-port NIC's. I have a 3ware sata2 raid controller that uses a PCI-X slot.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

I always heard that 3ware RAID Controllers are buff when it comes down to supporting large storage.
                    Last edited by backtrack; 12-01-2010, 10:28 PM. Reason: Just felt like it.
                    they call, they telnet, I hangup, I laugh, I get hiccups and digital breakups.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                      ^
                      The matrox cards are for PCI-X, which is interchangeable (slot-wise) with a PCI64 slot. A PCI-X slot runs at 100/133MHz, it was the blooming failure of a craze before PCI-E, it never caught on.
                      There's that mythical PCI64 slot again.
                      Standard PCI slot connectors don't have enough unused pins for 32 more bits.
                      PCI64 = PCI-X
                      Last edited by PCBONEZ; 12-02-2010, 12:54 AM.
                      Mann-Made Global Warming.
                      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                      -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                        PCI64 = PCI-X
                        That's what I said.....cards interchange. Most PCI-X cards will work in a 32 bit slot as well....just won't run at their full potential.

The only card I can say I've never seen, strangely isn't the mysterious PCI-X video card.....it's an AGP PRO video card.....remember those huge agp slots that you could never find a video card for.....
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

No, what you said is PCI64 interchanges with PCI-X. [As if they are different.]

What I said is PCI64 -IS- PCI-X. [Because PCI64 is just layman/slang for PCI-X.]

-
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                          -

Comment

And just FYI.
                            PCI-X runs anywhere from 33MHz to 533MHz depending on which spec and the board.

There was a PCI-X 3.0 Spec in the works [not PCI 3.0, PCI-X 3.0] that was dropped when PCI-E took hold that would have allowed a PCI-X slot at 1066MHz and 8.5GB/s.

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

^
                              Indeed, that tidbit was even in the wiki page. The fastest one I've ever gotten my hands on was a 133MHz, and that was in my Supermicro X5DAL-TG2.

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                              No, what you said is PCI64 interchanges with PCI-X. [As if they are different.]

What I said is PCI64 -IS- PCI-X. [Because PCI64 is just layman/slang for PCI-X.]
                              Misinterpretation then, but you/we are correct that they are the same.
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

The only card I can say I've never seen ~~~~~ it's an AGP PRO video card.....remember those huge agp slots that you could never find a video card for.....
                                As I recall that was one of Asus's bright ideas.
                                - Or at least they liked and pushed it.

-ALL- the extra pins on that slot were for power.
                                Most Vid-card companies had more sense than Asus and just added molex connectors for added power on the card itself which made their cards compatible with a wider range of mobos.
                                Last edited by PCBONEZ; 12-02-2010, 03:21 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

^
                                  Indeed, that tidbit was even in the wiki page. The fastest one I've ever gotten my hands on was a 133MHz, and that was in my Supermicro X5DAL-TG2.

Misinterpretation then, but you/we are correct that they are the same.
                                  LOL
                                  No worries except we just did that one like 2-3 days ago in another thread.

I've had boards that had PCI-X faster than 133MHz but never a car that did.
                                  Most boards auto-match the BUS to the slowest card on it.
                                  [IOW: You don't want a 33 or 66 MHz LAN card on the same PCI-X bus as your 133 MHz RAID card.]

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

And then there's the AGP PRO dog trimmer...
                                    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110606943368

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

I just replaced some caps on a Dell 650 workstation which has a pci-x ATI video card. Looks like I may have to toss it because I can't find free drivers for it and I doubt it's worth buying them.

Comment

nothing on the ati site?what model?
                                        dont get caught up on those bullshit driver sites.if they have it it also exists free somewhere.
                                        Originally posted by styxbound View Post
                                        I just replaced some caps on a Dell 650 workstation which has a pci-x ATI video card. Looks like I may have to toss it because I can't find free drivers for it and I doubt it's worth buying them.

Comment

Working...
                                        X