Dell Latitude D830 - No power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Latitude D830 - No power

My son's Dell Latitude D830 had been needing two tries to boot up and he was just about to
    plug in an external drive to backup the harddrive when it shut down immediately after booting. It now will not even power up. You press the power button and for a split second the power led flickers, then nothing. No power, fans or any other lights.

Apparently nothing spilled on it. Just out of warranty. I removed 17 screws from the back but still not coming apart. I think I have to remove the "hinge cover" and the "palm rest" to have a closer look.

Any ideas? How do you test the battery, doesn't seem to be any exposed contacts?

Re: Dell Latitude D830 - No power

power brick connected?
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

on the top right side of the laptop near the hinge, there is an indent, this is a panel that needs to be pried off. under this panel you will find some screws that will release the keyboard, and often times the sneaky buggars hide more screws under the keyboard that attach top and bottom cases, Note I learned this the hard way years ago, never did get that ol compaq to run again.

also be carefull with the ribbon cables and attachments to the board they are very delicate, the retaining clips either usually gently pry upward in a hinge like fashion, or gently slide outward releasing the ribbon. It can be a bit awkward getting them back in properly as well. Laptops can be a challenge, but pretty much do one and you will have done em all.
      Last edited by Noobliesque; 02-12-2011, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Dell has good manuals on-line (support.dell.com not .ca)
        No schematics, but very good procedures and diagrams for getting them apart.

You can test the battery by pushing the test button, should light up some leds.

I own 2 820s, and have about 20 830s at work, haven't had any problems with them.
        Batteries aren't too great after about 3 years though.

Lots of parts on Ebay for Dell Latitudes as well, so you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Oh, check the USB port, just in case it got broken and shorted out. I saw this on a D820 the other day,
        36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

This doesn't happen to have an nVidia GPU does it? I've had a few D820's with GPU problems that needed reflows. I'm not sure if any D830's were plagued by this or not.

Comment

In that model it is common for the DC jack to have bad contacts, cold/bad solder joints, and generally on the positive side because of insufficient solder wicking during the wave solder in manufacturing. And cannot draw up enough current before the contacts lose connection. Another thing is that the inside contacts that connects the barrel of the power supply to NEG often have metal fatigue and not a tight fit, so as soon as the current rises (turning on peripherals).

When things went Pb-Free, no one considered the additional time and heat factors, combine that with water based flux vs rosin/petroleum based fluxes you wind up with a whole new industry with poor solder joints.

good luck
            If it's hard to repair I can do it. If it's impossible, it may take me a while.

Comment

Working...
            X