ACPI Controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ACPI Controller

Nice thought, but price of Chipquik is extortionate in Australia (last time I looked, anyway)
    Last edited by pfrcom; 07-06-2011, 10:19 PM.
    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

There would one person in the world that stuff would not work for and that's me.
      $28 bucks packet does 8-10 chips

939 DualCore AMD Opteron, 1800 MHz (9 x 200)
      Abit AN8 / Fatal1ty AN8 SLI Series
      3072 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
      ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series (1024 MB
      Lian LI Aluminium mesh case

Comment

chipquik is WORTH in money alone, good profit making. Saved so much effort many times. Just 2mm to 3mm chunk is enough to do a typical IC up to 100 pins.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

With hot air I can have that PLCC32 chip off in 30 seconds. I can test to ensure the contents is not damaged and put it back on in another minute. A dremel is far below the useful line here.
          sig files are for morons

Comment

ACPI is power management do not confuse this with ACHI they are not the same. Go into the bios and turn off all power management/standby settings.

Comment

severach you sound as if you have some nice hot air kit
              If you dont mind what is it?

Comment

Next time i run the board I will put up a photo of the power bios page, I cant find any reference to disabling ACPI

Comment

Kiddznet,

You won't and end up in frustration. What I suggest is open up the hardware property then device manager. Open the item that has yellow icon (!) that has ACPI item and go to: details tab, write down the first string, ignore the rest of gibberish. Google with this to find out what it is for, then download driver from the maker's site for that computer and direct & detect downloaded driver. This what I did several times to several computers.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Kiddznet,

You won't and end up in frustration. What I suggest is open up the hardware property then device manager. Open the item that has yellow icon (!) that has ACPI item and go to: details tab, write down the first string, ignore the rest of gibberish. Google with this to find out what it is for, then download driver from the maker's site for that computer. Direct computer's (!) to reinstall driver from specified folder & detect downloaded driver. This that I did several times to several computers.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Wizard,

No point in suggesting Windows settings - his board doesn't get as far as booting anything
                      better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Slaps my forehead. Oooh. Okay, that sounds like bios eeprom is corrupt otherwise board is junk.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Have ripped off PLCC32 and replaced it with a socket whle I await another programmed chip to arrive

Er...does anyone forsee any problems with this?
                          Last edited by kiddznet; 07-09-2011, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kiddznet View Post
                            Have ripped off PLCC32 and replaced it with a socket whle I await another programmed chip to arrive

Er...does anyone forsee any problems with this?
                            Only that it introduces another variable, if the replacement chip doesn't work

If you still have the remains of the old chip, I suggest removing its AMI sticker and making a note of what the chip itself was, in case of compatibility problems

Or did the replacement chip vendor ask for those details ? (I'd be more confident of their ability, if they did)

Comment

Originally posted by severach View Post
                              With hot air I can have that PLCC32 chip off in 30 seconds. I can test to ensure the contents is not damaged and put it back on in another minute. A dremel is far below the useful line here.
                              with hot air i'd be in debt... they are nice if you have the $$$...

chipquick is like maybe $8 last i saw... the importation costs (shipping, taxes, etc.) must be that high?
                              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Selling price is usually geared to what the market will bear, rather than the cost of production and logistics

As an aside, there's a political campaign going on in Australia now, with vested interests representing the big local retailers trying to persuade the government to introduce taxes, to make it less attractive for Australians to buy via the Internet

That would inevitably introduce yet another layer of bureaucracy, which ultimately has to be paid for by the consumer
                                Last edited by pfrcom; 07-09-2011, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Ho hum... of course the board wont start at all now musta cooked the chip will wait until I get new chip.......

Comment

Originally posted by kiddznet View Post
                                    severach you sound as if you have some nice hot air kit
                                    If you dont mind what is it?
                                    Aoyue 2702A+. It's overkill for me. I only use the hot air function. One tip seems to handle everything but BGA up to 128 pins.
                                    sig files are for morons

Comment

That would inevitably introduce yet another layer of bureaucracy, which ultimately has to be paid for by the consumer
                                      And they vote for the current mob if you ever wondered who did.....

Comment

Any update on this ? - have you got the new BIOS chip yet ?

Comment

Just use 2 soldering irons and somebody's help... I'm successfully unsolder PLCC chips with no damage to them.

Comment

Working...
                                          X