Solder paste recommendations please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solder paste recommendations please

Hi guys. Well I thought solder paste was just solder paste but apparently not

I watched this short video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSb1fgCMUug

I want to try solder paste for resoldering BGA chips and LGA sockets as I am having no luck at the moment. I have no problem safely removing the old part, it's getting the replacement one to solder which is where I am going wrong. The Type 5 solder paste link he gives in the above video says it is not available.

I want to use the paste like in the video on this thread
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84396

What paste would you recommend for use with a stencil? Preferably something I can get from Ali or ebay.

Thanks
    Follow me on YouTube
    ------------------
    Learn Electronics Repair
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Re: Solder paste recommendations please

This is the one I use. I had good results using them on custom PCBs as well as for reballing BGA chips. (Not from same seller I originally bought from, but product picture is the same).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3289...5d504e86tRHOdu

This seller list them as "Mechanic" solder paste, but they are not.
    Last edited by Spider1211; 05-11-2020, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Oh, OK, I already have some Mechanix XG-50 off Aliexpress but haven't used it yet. As it was cheap I was thinking it is not the 'Type 5' as the guy shows in the video I linked

I can give it a go as you recommend it. I just thought I may as well get some 'good stuff' while I am waiting the stencils
      Follow me on YouTube
      ------------------
      Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Yeah, the mechanic's 63/37 is pretty much the standard for dirt cheap, but decent solder paste. There's probably better out there, but not from ali or ebay. You would have to go to a legit supplier like mouser or digikey. The solder isn't terribly priced there either. I picked up a pound of AIM 0.032 for around $15. The stuff is great, and will last me probably a decade or more. I glimpsed at the lower quantities, and it wasn't china cheap, but not bad.

Comment

There is this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33057598049.html that seems to be type 4.

Comment

Originally posted by clearchris View Post
            I picked up a pound of AIM 0.032
            Won't it go bad? What is the shelf life of the one you have?

I had a 100cc syringe of solder paste which worked fine but after a few months it started 'hardening' and was less viscous as it previously was and eventually became dry. (Although I have to admit it was a no brand paste).

I tried reviving it by mixing with flux but it was never the same. The solder had a tendency to sputter and 'pop' when heated.

Ever since I only buy small quantities. (I don't use it as much to justify buying larger quantities anyway).
            Last edited by Spider1211; 05-13-2020, 06:05 AM.

Comment

@dicky96 In my opinion the finer solder (Type 5) would make more sense on finer pitch pads. Let us know how it goes when you do give it a shot with the 'coarser' type.

Comment

OK. I just bought two tubes of the type 4 that diif linked - but if anyone can find a guaranteed type 5 I will also give that a go and let you all know if I can fined a difference ween any of them in real terms
                Follow me on YouTube
                ------------------
                Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Spider: I was referring to 0.032 wire. Wire may go bad, but it will take a long time. However, you can prolong the life of your solder paste by keeping it refrigerated. I keep mine in a sealed glass jar, in the fridge. I have a big skull and crossbones draw on it and also the words "DO NOT EAT". It's stuffed all the way in the back, it doesn't even get a glance from anyone. Some antioxygen packs would probably help even more, but I think those are basically unobtainium because of people stockpiling.

The solder paste is a few years old at this point, still works pretty good. The insides of the small solder can, where I wiped solder paste, are crusted solid, but the bottom, where most of the solder paste remains is fine. If you use the syringe type, I think the paste hardens in the needle/spout quickly.

If you do attempt to refresh the old paste, you would probably have to warm it slightly so it can be mixed better. Not so much that the flux starts activating, but enough where it's easily mixed, and the clumps can break up. That's assuming the metals haven't oxidized already.

Not speaking from experience, but I would wager that the quality stuff has a better shelf life. When I get more, it will be from mouser.

Comment

That makes more sense now . I never did refrigerate mine because someone always finds a way to reach them, I rather keep them in dark cool location where am sure no one will ever come across them besides me.

I initially was using syringe but following the issue described I only buy small cups now (not more than 50g).

I did try several methods to revive the old one (including warming, etc) but nothing really worked. Am not too sure if the solder itself oxidised (since it worked fine with a soldering iron) or was it due to crappy flux. I think the syringe might still around, if it is I might give it another go.

Comment

Originally posted by Spider1211 View Post
                      That makes more sense now . I never did refrigerate mine because someone always finds a way to reach them, I rather keep them in dark cool location where am sure no one will ever come across them besides me.

I initially was using syringe but following the issue described I only buy small cups now (not more than 50g).

I did try several methods to revive the old one (including warming, etc) but nothing really worked. Am not too sure if the solder itself oxidised (since it worked fine with a soldering iron) or was it due to crappy flux. I think the syringe might still around, if it is I might give it another go.
                      I have heard of people using IPA to thin out the paste again. I haven't tried it myself though.

Comment

Originally posted by clearchris View Post
                        I have heard of people using IPA to thin out the paste again. I haven't tried it myself though.
                        I washed out a small batch to remove any previous flux before trying to revive the paste. But then again, the alcohol I had back then might not have been IPA.

Comment

Working...
                        X