Dell 4700 circuit breaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell 4700 circuit breaker

Anybody know anything about a little black plastic and metal can rig on a Dell 4700 and some other dell boards called a circuit breaker? Trying to find some way of replacing one but don't know just how it works.

Re: Dell 4700 circuit breaker

Called a circuit breaker by who?

Photo Please.
    Maybe some numbers...
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Some time back there was a review I read on the 4700 which mentioned this thing they called a circuit breaker; now I can't find it again nor another reference to it. Can't take a picture because I don't own a camera, first, and second, totally destroyed the thing trying to figure out how it works. From the three pieces which fell out of the little can it's probably just mechanical but can't be sure.

Comment

Where on board?
        How about finding a picture of your board? Maybe on ebay?

What markings on the board next to it?

Found a ebay pic for M3918 mobo. This yours?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Quasar; 09-26-2010, 09:04 AM.

Comment

The board is an E210882. I'll see if I can find a photo somewhere. Thanks for the comebacks, guys.

Excuse my idiocy. I just realized your photo does show the thing. It's the T-shaped black plastic near the sata ports.
          Last edited by styxbound; 09-26-2010, 03:45 PM. Reason: New info

Comment

E210882 is not a model number.
            It's kind of like the Aussie version of a UL number.
            Many models of boards will have the same number.
            Model number is in the string on the bar code sticker and would be something like M3918 or DH682.
            I can't see the part well enough to tell what it is.
            Dell docs don't mention a circuit breaker at all.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Is this it? Search on ebay finds 22 hits on that number.

Far back corner in between the SATA connectors?
              Attached Files

Comment

There are two sets of numbers by bar codes: aa c58993-206 and ds/n cn-om3918-70821-52n-01wd:c/0 cn.

There's also a small barcode tag with Dell rev.a01.

The dell service tag and express code is on the machine too, but I've had no luck with that.

Comment

Think I may have a dead one of these boards at work. Will check Tuesday.

Comment

That would be nothing short of fantastic!-this thing is bugging me silly.

Comment

It's OM3918

-

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      -

Comment

maybe an intruder switch... those were common finds on optilex units... dimension, not so much, but it comes to mind.
                        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Optiplex tended to have switches near case openings though.
                          Not sure there is one on the 4700, or whatever it is I have in the office. I rebuilt it as a test unit a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

This machine doesn't have a case switch. I don't think there's any way it could have anything to do with intrusion.

Comment

The black plastic thing between the SATA ports is a crystal oscillator in a cylindrical package. The black plastic is around it merely to hold it in place against the board.

Comment

Now I'm really freaked out! I'm sure the review was calling it a circuit breaker; they even commented on turning it off and on. Need to find the damn thing again. But what you say certainly seems reasonable by what I saw of the thing.

Comment

that's no crystal.
                                  maybe it is a circuit-breaker.
                                  maybe it's a thermal breaker to limit current to something.
                                  let's face it, the surface-mount polyfuses dont work too well - they burn up sometimes.

Comment

Most certainly could be a crystal.
                                    Crystals come in many different packages.

If it were a circuit breaker that means users might have to operate it and it would be in the manual.
                                    Not only does the manual not mention a circuit breaker, the component isn't shown on the mobo drawing at all.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

2 similar boards with the same device next to the SATA connectors. If it was a circuit breaker or a crystal, how would it relate to the SATA ports?

Comment

Guys, I don't recall the article saying it had anything to do with the sata ports. STILL can't find the damn thing.

When I took the can apart three tiny pieces fell out. Two were maybe a bit longer than 1/8" and perhaps less than 1/64 wide, flat and shiny. The third was a rectangle maybe 1/32 by 1/16. The color was different from the strips. I can say it wasn't a quartz crystal, but it may well have had a coating of some kind.

According to the article the thing was supposed to be able to swing up, though when I found it, it was already loose and my efforts to swing it up completed the job of tearing it off.

Comment

Working...
                                        X