An old fave analog meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An old fave analog meter

When I first started in electronics, bout 1972 or so, I used my dad's Heathkit multimeter. It's amazing I never fried it.
    After that I got what turned out to be my all-time favorite analog meter.
    The Micronta 22-204. I had that for years. Didn't use it much after I got my Fluke 77, but lately I've been wanting an analog meter. I looked through all my old boxes, and didn't find it. Not sure, I may have given it away or, it may have suffered from a combination of sudden decelleration/concrete poisoning.

Anyhow, just got one on e-bay for $6.00 hopefully it'll be in good working condition when it arrives.
    Attached Files
    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Re: An old fave analog meter

From the era before radioshack started to suck hard! My dad has one of those. I remember messing with it as a kid. I think it is still in his toolbox at work. I guess it will be mine someday...
    Last edited by bluto; 11-30-2010, 08:33 PM.

Comment

My 2 say ArcherKit at the top...

One was my first "real" meter, the second was in pieces at a flea market. Someone gave up putting together.

My original's a 28-4014. The other a 28-4014A. Upgraded insulation around the probe connections and used 5 band resistors instead of printed value ones. Try 56.25KΩ

Toast
      veritas odium parit

Comment

i need to get an analog meter... better for PSU testing, since there is a needle which iirc can give a crude measurement of ripple
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I have 2 Micronta's still alive. One I built from a kit as a 8 y.o. and the other my Dad used for years. Now that he's gone, it's mine. Funny guy he was, the original box, instructions and test leads all neatly arranged and he never stored it with the battery in place in case it leaked. Its the little things in life....

Comment

I have an old Simpson 260 but it needs some repairs after being damaged by battery corrosion. I remember it was supposedly the reference standard when I was taking EE courses in college. The thing is huge and built like a tank.
            Last edited by Eagle2a; 12-01-2010, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Unless the wafer switch was damaged, there's really nothing in there can't be fashioned or had in someway. Battery terminals can be made from just about anything metal. Even soldered on if you're quick about it.

Toast
              veritas odium parit

Comment

Thanks Toasty. Yeah I haven't looked at it in quite a while but that's what I recall thinking.. that I need to somehow fab and solder in some replacement battery terminals. The thing looks like it's indestructible. I forgot about the internal battery for years, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                  i need to get an analog meter... better for PSU testing, since there is a needle which iirc can give a crude measurement of ripple
                  Keep your eyes open for these meters. Nice units and inexpensive. Many people see Archer/Micronta and think RadioSh** of today. Not true when these were being made/sold. Decent unit and mine is 35+ years old and works great!

Another choice for (usually) a touch more money are the Eico 555, 565, 566 VOM's. Nearly identical to the Simpson 260 from the 70's-80's. I use both the 555 & 565 on the bench at all times. The 260 goes with me on outside calls.

Toast
                  veritas odium parit

Comment

I have one of those old Simpson 260's I bought about 10 years ago at a flea market for $5.00. Don't think I have another tool I depend on as much and wouldn't know how to act without it.

Comment

Yes Simpsons were big, heavy and rock solid. Dang fine meters.
                      36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

umm im kinda new here at bacaps..im a fanatic when it comes to analog miltimeters.i have 40 units that are still in good running condition. micronta, simpson,heath,philps,hameg, even those jap brands like sanwa,hioki,and kaise.

Comment

This guy on youtube is a self confessed multimeter junkie and reviews some older meters including the Simpson. He is not as entertaining as Dave Jones (eevblog).

http://www.youtube.com/user/mdzacharias
                          Last edited by retiredcaps; 12-04-2010, 01:10 AM.
                          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

With analog meters you have to deal with parallax error whenever tight no guessing accuracy is required it's digital all the way.

Anyone whos ever looked at an analog meter at a slight angle and not perfectly straight on knows that the needle in reference to the scale will shift slightly due to viewing angle. Plus the accuracy of any analog meter is laughable against todays digitals.

They're nice museum pieces but for modern servicing digitals can't be beat.
                            Last edited by Krankshaft; 12-04-2010, 02:29 AM.
                            Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

yeah perfectly said.nice museum pieces..

Comment

My father bought the ArcherKit for $14.95 but didn't get around to assembling it for about 20 years, so it's now mine.

Comment

RCA was analog and used to make meters with metal cases, not sure if they do anymore. I think they stopped production.. period, including digital. Currently I own a old RCA which needs probe replacements.
                                  they call, they telnet, I hangup, I laugh, I get hiccups and digital breakups.

Comment

Originally posted by larrymoencurly View Post
                                    My father bought the ArcherKit for $14.95 but didn't get around to assembling it for about 20 years, so it's now mine.
                                    Cool!

If it's the same as these, is there anyway someone could get a copy of the instructions? Please?

Toast
                                    veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft View Post
                                      With analog meters you have to deal with parallax error .
                                      True, but many have a mirrored section, you line up the needle with its reflection, and problem solved.
                                      I agree digital is king for accuracy, but analogs do have their place.

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                                        Cool!

If it's the same as these, is there anyway someone could get a copy of the instructions? Please?

Toast
                                        If you mean the kit instructions, then I don't have that. I do have the operating instructions, but doubt you need those.....except for nolstalgia perhaps. Let me know....

Comment

Working...
                                        X