Tweaking WINXP 32

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tweaking WINXP 32

Whats your favourite software/reference web site for ironing out kinks and tweaks in WINXP?

939 DualCore AMD Opteron, 1800 MHz (9 x 200)
    Abit AN8 / Fatal1ty AN8 SLI Series
    3072 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
    ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series (1024 MB
    Lian LI Aluminium mesh case

Re: Tweaking WINXP 32

There are so many tweaks you can do, and many of them is a matter of preference. If you have something special that you want to achieve just ask.

On my part i use a Microsoft tool called TweakUI, that is to tweak some animation settings and delays on the menus and stuff, thats about all the tweaking i do. I used to use the network hack also, the one that changes so windows doesnt have to send packages in lots of two. There is a script for that called leatrix latency fix (only makes latency better on some games, not all)

Comment

I use Black Vipers tweaks for all windows configs.. Here's a link to XP with SP3

http://www.blackviper.com/2008/05/19...onfigurations/
      Don't Bin It - Repair It.

Comment

I do most tweaks myself without software. First thing that I always do is turn off most Visual Effects. Then I turn off Indexing Service and Desktop Cleanup Wizard, followed by setting the pagefile to a more reasonable amount (i.e. not 1.5 times the amount of RAM). That's about it really, aside from a few other small things.
        If the computer I'm tweaking is for myself, I also turn off Windows Update (also disable it in Services in Computer Management) along with System Restore (once the computer is all set-up, of course). Then I change the UI to classic theme (already have a .theme file to that), and further cut down/disable other services through Computer Management and with CCleaner.

The results: I end up with a computer that boots much faster and uses much less RAM. Most of my computers that don't have an antivirus run on 100 MB of RAM or less.
        Last edited by momaka; 05-05-2011, 08:23 PM.

Comment

nLite works as well. Prebuild an install yourself. I used to have a fresh system set up in under 30 minutes that way.

Comment

The best single app for tweaking XP is XP Antispy. It turns a lot of crap off that shouldn't be there.

Over the years I've worked up a set of BAT files that launch and fix everything I want including a REG file for XP Antispy so I don't need to select items individually. On a mid range computer the entire setup takes about 20 minutes after the install and drivers are complete.
            sig files are for morons

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
              Most of my computers that don't have an antivirus run on 100 MB of RAM or less.
              I pretty much have the same tweaks as momaka, but I do use Immunet Cloud AV. It only takes up about 30MB so when my system boots, it uses about 126MB. I have also tried Panda Cloud AV and Panda uses about 90MB. I also run malwarebytes manually twice a week as an added measure.

I will also run msconfig after some updates to make sure programs don't reinsert all the startup crap like java check, google chrome updater check, etc.

This is key as I buy some used P4 systems ($20 or less) and they only come with 256MB or 512MB for everyday basic surfing.
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks all. Good stuff there. am now using antispy very user friendly. Have been using an nlite file for a while now.

939 DualCore AMD Opteron, 1800 MHz (9 x 200)
                Abit AN8 / Fatal1ty AN8 SLI Series
                3072 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
                ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series (1024 MB
                Lian LI Aluminium mesh case

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                  I will also run msconfig after some updates to make sure programs don't reinsert all the startup crap like java check, google chrome updater check, etc.
                  Same here, except I use CCleaner since it's faster.

From what I remember, though, Java uses two processes - javaw.exe and jqs.exe (Java Quick Starter). Javaw.exe can be removed from CCleaner (and from msconfig, I presume), but for jqs.exe, it is best to Stop and Disable this service from Computer Management>Services and Apps.>Services.

Google Update is even more complicated. It is automatically enabled when Google software is installed or updated. To kill Google Update, you need to do the following:
                  1) Disable GoogleUpdateService.exe and/or GoogleUpdate.exe from Services in Computer Management.
                  2) Go in Control Panel>Scheduled Tasks and double click on each Google task, then make sure the checkbox "Allow this service to run at scheduled time" (or something like that) is unchecked.
                  Additionally, if you have Google Toolbar (like I do), you need to disable GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe. I forgot exactly how to do that, but if you need to know I can check.

That aside, I also use CCleaner daily before I shut down to clean up temp internet files and other crap.

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                  This is key as I buy some used P4 systems ($20 or less) and they only come with 256MB or 512MB for everyday basic surfing.
                  256MB? Ouch. I would recommend at least 384 MB. 512 MB if there's anti-virus.

Comment

Working...
                  X