Hot gx620

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot gx620

Replaced 3 caps on a gx620, redid the thermal, cleaned and oiled the fan,but it's still running hotter than I think it should. Tried speedfan but apparently the thing has no sensors. Anybody have any ideas how I can speed this fan up_seems pretty slow_or otherwise cool this monkey down?

Re: Hot gx620

That's the way Dell designs them. They spin the fans slow, so that the PCs are quiet. I have a 960 at work that I run folding@home on... all 4 cores pegged, and it doesn't come up off of idle fan speed.

That's why the caps cook...

Oh, and the boards do have sensors (though sometimes they're built into the fans), they're just not accessable by speedfan.
    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

The pits. And no room to put another fan either. I'm thinking surely there must be some way to speed this thing up, like what happens, I wonder, if you cut the control wire and just feed straight power?

Comment

I use this program http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html
        It says its for laptops but it will let you change the fan speed on a Optiplex GX620. The wife has one and I have tested it on her machine. None of the sensors will give a reading but if you just want to control the CPU fan it will do that.

Comment

Great!_thanks for that. Found about one and a half inches of space over an agp and pci slot; was thinking about rigging a fan in that. Don't know if it would be big enough to do any good anyway though. I'll try your program tomorrow.

Comment

Agp slot? Hum you did say GX620 which I assumed you ment Dell Optiplex GX620 and they have no agp slot, only PCI-E and PCI.

Comment

If you can't control the fans using software, you can use a fan controller. Does this computer use four-wire fans?

Does anybody know what frequency the fan expects on the PWM line? I might be able to design a circuit that switches at the correct frequency and has a temperature and fan failure warning.

Comment

you *might* be able to get a normal sized fan in there to replace the dell one-hooked to molex, but some of those dells have a minimum number of molex connectors so a splitter might be required. I google imaged the 620 and it looks like a normal 60-80mm fan, but make sure you get the width
                Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Brethin, you're doubtless right about the Pci-e, just glanced and assumed it was agp. At any rate it couldn't ever be used with a fan stuck over it.

The fan in it plugs into the board; I'll have to check if it's 3 wire or four. The power supply only has the p4 connector and one sata hd, but I guess I could patch into it; have oodles of fans from an inch up.

Thanks for the other ideas, guys. I'll try Brethin's program; if that doesn't work I might have to get low down and dirty.

Comment

Its 4 wire. Also I just checked and Speedfan 4.44 now supports Dells so it will let you change the speed of the fan too. You just need to go into the config and enable Dell laptop support. It will also tell you the fan speed.

Comment

you know if its the heatsink thats hot, this is normal--heatsinks are supposed to be hot, i'd be worried if they were not on a P4. Hot heatsinks mean they're doing thier job

I don't think the cpu fan connector is standard, which is why i'm saying you might have to use a molex connector right from the power supply
                      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                        Its 4 wire. Also I just checked and Speedfan 4.44 now supports Dells so it will let you change the speed of the fan too. You just need to go into the config and enable Dell laptop support. It will also tell you the fan speed.
                        Hey, good to know! I didn't know there was a new version out. I just tried it on my Optiplex 960, and it was able to read GPU and CPU sensors, as well as the CPU fan. I was also able to adjust the fan speed.
                        Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Here's a screencap of speedfan with my fanspeed set at 50% (the dell default). Processor is a Q9650, and it's running F@H

And here it is at 100%, after the temps stabilized (about 20 minutes)

Attached Files
                          Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Clearly you guys know something I don't. Tried speedfan again, enabled laptop support, but still couldn't get anything. The other program linked does seem to be doing me some good, however, and it shows the fan speed in the launch bar. If I have it set the way I think I do it will speed up if it gets past 131f. Right now I'm running an av and it's 1700rpm_a good bit faster than it was.

Comment

Originally posted by styxbound View Post
                              Clearly you guys know something I don't. Tried speedfan again, enabled laptop support, but still couldn't get anything. The other program linked does seem to be doing me some good, however, and it shows the fan speed in the launch bar. If I have it set the way I think I do it will speed up if it gets past 131f. Right now I'm running an av and it's 1700rpm_a good bit faster than it was.
                              Did you restart speedfan after you turned on laptop support? It only reloads the sensors on startup.
                              Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Dood, as near as my feeble mind can recall I don't think I did. I'll have to try it again later.

Comment

Working...
                                X