Shorting Motherboard PWR Pins Does Nothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shorting Motherboard PWR Pins Does Nothing

This is a bench test so I've tried booting without components (No SSD, No GPU, With/Without RAM, With/Without CPU). I only have the CPU Fan plugged in and Buzzers.

PSU is all good. 5VSB present, standby LEDS light up. No shorted MOSFETS on CPU. I know there has to be a short somewhere. Anyone has an idea where to start looking? Thanks!

Re: Shorting Motherboard PWR Pins Does Nothing

Sounds a bit funny but I'd try shorting the green and black wire. I had a semi-dead ASUS P5ND2 boot that way.
    Main rig:
    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
    16GB DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by SashaG View Post
      This is a bench test so I've tried booting without components (No SSD, No GPU, With/Without RAM, With/Without CPU). I only have the CPU Fan plugged in and Buzzers.

PSU is all good. 5VSB present, standby LEDS light up. No shorted MOSFETS on CPU. I know there has to be a short somewhere. Anyone has an idea where to start looking? Thanks!
      It might help if you posted the motherboard model number
      All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Probably not the same thing at all, but I have a new z690 mobo, and it does not always respond to the PWR button when trying to turn on. Somehow the BIOS chooses to ignore it.

I don't think in the old days, a BIOS would ever ignore the turn on signal, maybe it's a windows thing, and I wish they'd leave the BIOS alone.

Comment

Working...
        X