Gigabyte EP43-UD3L stuck in POST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte EP43-UD3L stuck in POST

I have a Socket 775 Gigabyte EP43-UD3L that gets stuck in POST - after displaying the POST screen it hangs. Swapped PCI cards, RAM, and CPU and it must be something on the the motherboard that's the problem.

Supposedly this board uses all solid polymer capacitors.

Anyone had one of these boards go south on them?

Re: Gigabyte EP43-UD3L stuck in POST

It's time to clean the board then reseat all cards and RAM!

And if it's DDR 2 and have all slots filled, take out 2 of the RAM sticks, raise the VDIMM to 1.90V then put the other 2 RAM sticks back in and try again.
    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 10-13-2013, 05:23 AM.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I had four sticks of DDR2 in it (2x2G PC6400 2x1G PC5300), removed the 2G's and moved the 1G's to the slots previously occupied by the 2G's - still same flaky behavior and still tends to hang in BIOS. I didn't try increasing VDIMM, that would not be a good sign that it had been working a while, and stopped working.

(Though honestly it could be due to the 1G DIMMs going bad... hmm. They were HP/Micron DIMMs. I had removed the 2G DIMMs because they're G-Skill brand and I had RMAed one set before. I don't quite trust G-Skill.)

Also forgot to mention the behavior is repeatable on a different PSU - I was using a OCZ SXS2 600W and repeatable on a cheapo raidmax (oh deer?) 380W, both tried without HDDs and PCIE video... Probably can safely rule out the PSU (I'm currently using the SXS2 with another motherboard successfully now)? I tried it with both my original-on-board Q9550S chip as well as a P4-650 chip, both would hang at the same spot in BIOS...
      Last edited by eccerr0r; 10-13-2013, 11:29 AM.

Comment

I had the same problem with a similar revision board and ultra expensive one.
        I did repair my mistake about getting a Gigabyte board by buying an ASUS.
        Problem solved.

Comment

^
          ASUS are generally, much, much less reliable than Gigabyte. I rate them as being one of the worst. I use Gigabyte boards exclusively in new PCs. They almost never fail. ASUS, on the other hand...

@eccerr0r: Will the board let you do a BIOS update? I'd give that a go. It's quite easy on those boards to do without booting into an OS
          Last edited by c_hegge; 10-14-2013, 01:28 AM.
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
            ^
            ASUS are generally, much, much less reliable than Gigabyte.

This is topic is about Socket 775 please send due Paypal 200$ to me so to love back Gigabyte.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
              This is topic is about Socket 775 please send due Paypal 200$ to me so to love back Gigabyte.
              Definitely QFT. Asus has a lot of good socket 775 boards. Their P45 and P43 boards are good.
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

^
                Disagreed. They've been junk since the early s775 days.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

^
                  Disagreed. They've been junk since the early s775 days.
                  That's because 2004s and 2005s were meh.
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

^ sorry, junk!
                    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

The P5Q series and Maximus II series weren't junk.
                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Dunno about the Maximus, but the P5Q series were junk, as was anything else with a P5_____ model. I've seen plenty of those die young.

Comment

Dunno about the Maximus, but the P5Q series were junk, as was anything else with a P5_____ model. I've seen plenty of those die young.
                          alot of DOA on my end....
                          Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

A lot of pre-2008 P5x had meh caps at best.

Most P5Qs have Fujitsu/FPcap caps.
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

[Off topic on my own topic] I have here a bad Asus P5GD2 that a friend gave me sitting on the floor. He complained it wouldn't stop crashing and lo and behold it indeed crashes in the OS. Plus its silly power shield makes it just about impossible to desolder caps due to the immense power plane.

[back on topic]
                              Hmm... I never thought about that, the BIOS. The board would basically freeze, so I can't get into BIOS setup, I never tried firmware update. Sometimes it does get through that hang and will proceed to start booting, but then I shouldn't need to update CMOS config... And since the board is "dual bios" wouldn't the other copy do something?

Since this board was working, I never flashed BIOS on the board (don't fix what ain't broken). Pity it stopped working...

Comment

The other copy (Backup BIOS) will only kick in if the main BIOS is really wrecked. If you can get it to go past the POST, then try doing a BIOS update.

Comment

Well, finally I got some more information: if I disconnect all drives, SATA-IDE-USB and everything, the board will boot, get into bios, etc. I can even select to clear BIOS settings to defaults and it still won't accept any disks at all.

No storage systems = useless :-(

Except perhaps the only way I can boot it now is through PXE...

Comment

^ What about PCI IDE or SATA add-on card? If you have one, give it a try.

Sounds almost as if something is wrong with the SB, since SATA, IDE, and USB are all implemented through that.
                                    Last edited by momaka; 02-24-2015, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Well, almost 8 years later I try the board again... (PresHott installed)

hey... it booted... What gives?

Well, after getting shot down my my underclocked Barton that doesn't have SSE2, I tried to give this board a try with the 20GB IDE HDD that ran out of spare sectors and is "FAILING NOW". To my surprise, it booted up just fine (using the IDE port), oddly enough, and the RadeonHD 3650 that also wasn't in good shape seemed to power up without artifacts at least for now.

Weird.

Maybe the SATA ports are shot? But I had nothing connected to them...

Maybe it will work fine once more and I should use it for my server again, really could use more PCI/PCIe slots... ahh PITA swapping...
                                      Last edited by eccerr0r; 02-09-2021, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                                        Well, almost 8 years later I try the board again... (PresHott installed)

hey... it booted... What gives?
                                        Re-reading the thread again... your original issue sounds similar to the one with my Pegaton M2N78-LA... which I haven't been able to figure out so far, but I highly suspect flaky CMOS chip on mine. Not sure how yours got better from sitting unused, though, as it doesn't really make sense. But maybe the little gremlins inside yours calmed down a bit.

As for the artifacting HD3650... that will come back for sure, IME. Give it a few heat cycles or put under 3D load.

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                                        Maybe it will work fine once more and I should use it for my server again, really could use more PCI/PCIe slots... ahh PITA swapping...
                                        IMO, not a good idea to use it for anything you care about / that will be hard to rebuild - at least not until you've used the motherboard for a while as a 2nd / test setup and gave it enough time to feel comfortable the issue(s) won't come back.
                                        Last edited by momaka; 02-11-2021, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X