GE Wall Oven, Dim display capacitor repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GE Wall Oven, Dim display capacitor repair

My GE Profile dual wall oven display had become dim over time, to the point where you could barely read the display by cupping your hands around it. Some googling suggested bad caps could be the issue, so I decided to recap the control board. The display is now bright and back to normal. Here's the summary of my repair.
    1. Turn off power to the oven.
    2. Remove the control panel. Take LOTS of pictures of the wiring before you start unplugging wires from the control panel.
    3. Measure all the capacitors, put oven back together.
    4. Order caps and wait.
    5. Do the full repair. Reinstall carefully.

There's plenty of information about how to actually solder and replace caps, so I won't go over that here.

Here's the notes of each cap I replaced:
    Location Brand Model Voltage (V) Capacitance (uF) Diameter (mm) Length (mm) Temp ©
    C24 ELNA RJ3 50 100 8 12 105
    C25 ELNA RJ3 50 100 8 12 105
    C10 ELNA RJ3 50 100 8 12 105
    C2 ELNA RJ3 50 100 8 12 105
    C1 ELNA RJ3 50 100 8 12 105
    C9 ELNA RJ4 16 470 8 12 105
    C3 NLC NRWA 35 330 10 17 105
    C5 ELNA RJ4 16 3300 13 24 105
    C8 ELNA RJ4 16 470 8 12 105
    C4 ELNA RJ3 50 100 8 12 105
    C34 ELNA 50 0.47 4 7 105

I replaced them with Nichicon UHE series. I wanted to go with something higher than a 105C rating, but everything that was 125 or more was also 10mm rather than 8mm diameter. The 3300uF cap was longer than the original, but there's plenty of space back there. The UHE are 7000hrs at 105, and the RJ3s I replaced are 1000hours. I figure the oven lasted a good 13+ years, so this would be fine. Oh, the caps and control panel were all from 1996, but I bought the oven pre-owned and almost unused and installed it around 2003. The display was fine from 2004 to 2017. UHEs were also in stock at mouser ready to ship, and I wanted to keep everything from the same series.

Some notes:
    • Unscrew 6 screws and lift the panel straight up to release it.
    • Take LOTS of pictures of the wiring. I probably have 10 pictures from different angles to make sure I didn't miss something. I triple-checked every wire before I powered up the oven again.
    • There was plenty of room for 10mm caps if you prefer higher temp ratings.
    • I had to unclip the PCB from the plastic bracket, and bend it over to get access to the soldering underneath.
    • Be very careful with the control panel. Everything is old and fragile and delicate. One screw mount broke on me and needed to be superglued back together.
    • The ribbon cable releases by lifting a small tab on each end of the connector about 1/8". Be gentle and don't force anything.
    • A solder pad lifted up and I needed to fix that carefully. Again, go slow.
    • The old caps were featherweight compared to the new ones. They've had a long, hot life and likely were just dried up.
    • Watch polarity on installing. Don't trust that the PCB will be CLEARLY labelled.
    • Did I mention turning off the power? Don't mess around with 240VAC.
    • I didn't test which capacitor(s) failed. I figured since all the work is getting to the control panel, might as well just replace everything.
    • Clean the glass and display while it's all apart. Years of dust and stuff got in there, and it looks nicer now.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TahoeEd; 12-17-2017, 02:41 PM.

Re: GE Wall Oven, Dim display capacitor repair

Good job. Useful information. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by TahoeEd View Post
        My GE Profile dual wall oven display had become dim over time, to the point where you could barely read the display by cupping your hands around it. Some googling suggested bad caps could be the issue, so I decided to recap the control board. The display is now bright and back to normal. Here's the summary of my repair.

I know this is an old thread but this info might be helpful to others with bad caps.

My original GE oven dim display problem: https://youtu.be/JPWYayvzsr8

After the fix: https://youtu.be/om6grIQwi0A

I've searched high and low on the Internet for a dim display fix for our 22 yrs old GE Profile dual oven. There are lots of posts about replacing a vague C3 capacitor, but all of the post's uF/voltage values didn't match ours so I didn't trust their fixes applied to my model (JTP56B0W2). I came across TahoeEd's (OP) detailed post about his fix, and after emailing him and verifying that his components matched the ones on my PCB, I knew I was finally on the right track. (btw, he told me that after 3 yrs, his fix is still working well)

Because of TahoeEd's thorough documentation, I ordered and replaced all 11 caps also. BUT, I replaced only 3 at a time, then tested the display each time (just connect the 110vac power line at the bottom-left corner of the PCB w/out connecting anything else to see the display), to try to isolate which cap group is the actual culprit. The bad one is in the group of the 3 highlighted in my pictures and they are listed below. I really appreciated TahoeEd's efforts, since it helped me out immensely. So I wanted to advance the cause by contributing in a small way...by reducing the count of suspicious caps from 11 down to 3. The culprit for mine was one of these 3 guys:

Location Brand Model Voltage (V) Capacitance (uF) Diameter (mm) Length (mm) Temp ©
        C34 ELNA 50 0.47 4 7 105

Due to there being plenty of room, I upgraded the caps to the ones that are rated for up to 125-degrees celcius operating temperature (blue caps in my pictures). Original rating was up to 105 celcius. Cost was only pennies more. I paid ~$10 in parts + $8 shipping on Mouser for everything. From start to finish, the repair took me about 1.25 hrs but I repeated my tests to try isolating the group of caps.

Added bonus that I didn't even realize until our first oven meal: Even the timer buzzer is louder now (confirmed by 3 family members).

Maybe this is coincidence, maybe it's not, but note that C3 is in the bad group of caps. Hmmm, interesting. So, if you're going to try this, start with replacing that one first. And if anyone else finds the exact cap that's causing this issue for our GE Profile dual ovens, please pay it forward and add your findings here.

Thanks again Ed!

Tae
        Attached Files

Comment

One note if a unit is that old you should go ahead and replace all the capacitors on the board because all them will be in nearly the same shape as the capacitor that failed

Keep this in mind when doing this type of repairs that age and heat can kill capacitors and the cost of them is very low
          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 04-06-2020, 01:01 PM.
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
          10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
          6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
          1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
          25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
          6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply
          1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
          2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
          All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

I second sam's suggestion of replacing all the caps. My oven (not same as OP) died after only two years, I recapped with polymer caps (yay overkill!) and it has been great for I think around five years since then.

Comment

Originally posted by heytaes View Post
              I know this is an old thread but this info might be helpful to others with bad caps.

I've searched high and low on the Internet for a dim display fix for our 22 yrs old GE Profile dual oven. There are lots of posts about replacing a vague C3 capacitor, but all of the post's uF/voltage values didn't match ours so I didn't trust their fixes applied to my model (JTP56B0W2). I came across TahoeEd's (OP) detailed post about his fix, and after emailing him and verifying that his components matched the ones on my PCB, I knew I was finally on the right track. (btw, he told me that after 3 yrs, his fix is still working well)

Because of TahoeEd's thorough documentation, I ordered and replaced all 11 caps also. BUT, I replaced only 3 at a time, then tested the display each time (just connect the 110vac power line at the bottom-left corner of the PCB w/out connecting anything else to see the display), to try to isolate which cap group is the actual culprit. The bad one is in the group of the 3 highlighted in my pictures and they are listed below. I really appreciated TahoeEd's efforts, since it helped me out immensely. So I wanted to advance the cause by contributing in a small way...by reducing the count of suspicious caps from 11 down to 3. The culprit for mine was one of these 3 guys:

C34 ELNA 50 0.47 4 7 105

Due to there being plenty of room, I upgraded the caps to the ones that are rated for up to 125-degrees celcius operating temperature (blue caps in my pictures). Original rating was up to 105 celcius. Cost was only pennies more. I paid ~$10 in parts + $8 shipping on Mouser for everything. From start to finish, the repair took me about 1.25 hrs but I repeated my tests to try isolating the group of caps.

Added bonus that I didn't even realize until our first oven meal: Even the timer buzzer is louder now (confirmed by 3 family members).

Maybe this is coincidence, maybe it's not, but note that C3 is in the bad group of caps. Hmmm, interesting. So, if you're going to try this, start with replacing that one first. And if anyone else finds the exact cap that's causing this issue for our GE Profile dual ovens, please pay it forward and add your findings here.

Thanks again Ed!

Tae
              The board photos posted, have much different manufacturing time codes for what I believe are the relays. Is that much later, from 2006? Did you change them?
              Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 04-07-2020, 10:22 AM.
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                The board photos posted, have much different manufacturing time codes for what I believe are the relays. Is that much later, from 2006? Did you change them?
                Not me and I have to reason to think anyone else had been in there before. I believe the ovens were installed in 1998 when the house was built.

Comment

Tae
                  I'll do my best to pay it forward. I had a display that didn't show up at all accept when the oven got to temp... then it would be slightly readable. I changed only C3 (C3 NLC NRWA 35 330 10 17 105) and my display is nice and bright again. There was visible browning on my board where C3 was. I had to scratch the traces to get the solder connections for the new capacitor right because the pad was pretty bad. (I'm sure my subpar soldering skills didn't help any.)

Thanks for the thread. Hopefully I can put off getting a new oven for a few more years.

Comment

C34 ELNA 50 0.47 4 7 105

Thanks again Ed!

Tae
                    Thanks for all the details. I just repaired my GE Oven (JTP45) that had a dimmed display. I (only) replaced the capacitor C3 with the 35V 330uF 105 degree capacitor detailed above. Worked like a charm! Thanks to both of you!

Comment

Great info on these posts. I have the same dimming issue and looking to replace C3. It appears the C3 cap is out of stock on mouser. Do you have the manufacturer or mouser part # I could use to look up on the mouser site for a compatible 125 degree cap?
                      Thanks in advance,
                      Joe

Comment

Originally posted by vball View Post
                        Great info on these posts. I have the same dimming issue and looking to replace C3. It appears the C3 cap is out of stock on mouser. Do you have the manufacturer or mouser part # I could use to look up on the mouser site for a compatible 125 degree cap?
                        Thanks in advance,
                        Joe
                        Use a 105 degree cap.

Comment

For C3 330uF 35V 10x16mm LS=5mm, you could use:

Nichicon UBT1V331MPD +125°C Mouser 647-UBT1V331MPD $0.86 but only 10 left in stock. Best part, long life.
                          United Chemi-Con EGXL350ETD331MJ20S +125°C Mouser 661-EGXL350ETD331MJ2
                          United Chemi-Con ELXY350ELL331MJ20S +105°C rating Mouser 661-LXY35VB331MLL

Comment

Working...
                          X