Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modification on a ATX Switching Power to 5 volts with a load on the Auxiliary board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modification on a ATX Switching Power to 5 volts with a load on the Auxiliary board

Please watch the part of the video where she shows how the modification is done would this work

Move to the 3 minute mark where it starts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdNWrFOFFWI

Here is where I working on the concept of this question weather or not this would work or not

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=92612

I have pounder the question where or not you could modify a ATX switching power supply with out disabling the protection board and the answer is yes you can

but it is not adjustable but this is another part of this project a little bit later on this but this but I have an issue that I have to resolve and that is how do I make a adjustable voltage/current power supply board what type voltage regulator do I use for this

Because the no load voltage is about 75 volts when loaded it about 50 volts

I not sure what type of regulator setup to do with this setup does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this issue

Switching regulator or a linear type of regulator I open to either one which ever one only has a minimum of external components
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-20-2021, 12:57 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Re: Modification on a ATX Switching Power to 5 volts with a load on the Auxiliary boa

Update
    Modification to a 12 volt cooling fan temperature speed sensor from the cooling fan to an external temperature sensor board to be mounted on the heat sink so the dose not run at full speed unless it need to

https://www.mpja.com/12VDC-3-1_8-80m...info/36713+FN/

It is very difficult to remove this temperature sensor from the board with out lifting soldering trace or breaking the very tiny wires on the temperature sensor it took three tries before I got one to work correctly
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

Re: Modification on a ATX Switching Power to 5 volts with a load on the Auxiliary boa

Update here are some pictures of the switching power supply and the auxiliary power supply board jointed together and in there own ATX power supply cases

The picture of the fan is the one that I used but modified took the temperature sensor and moved to a little board by itself and mounted too end of the heat sink so it could track the temperature of the heat sink and so the test has shown that it working correctly but I going to let this run for about an hour and see if everything keeps working correctly or not

One note the small heat sink temperature sensor board on the back side of the board where the wires goes to the temperature sensor I used hot glue to shield the temperature sensor from air flow right now the fan is probably running at 3/4 speed and varies a little bit in speed because you hear the pitch of the motor

changing a little bit ( when you first start the power supply the fan runs at about 1/4 speed ) yes I have the fan running anytime the switching power supply is running )

One other note this the test has been running for about 30 minutes now and the temperature heat sink board for the auxiliary power supply board is just a little bit warm success

As you can see in the photo with the temperature sensing board and the fan modification that was done

It now time to install the binding post for the power supply outputs this is going to be really fun to do
      Stay tuned more to come later——>

Need some ideas about this topic

I not sure what type of regulator setup to do with this setup does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this issue

Switching regulator or a linear type of regulator I open to either one which ever one only has a minimum of external components

I have searched on eBay and so far the high voltage I can find is 50 volts I found one that said 80 volts maximum but in a side note it says the highest recommended voltage no higher than 60 volts this might not work unless I load the auxiliary power supply board a little bit so voltage is around 60 volts do able but I would like to keep looking for a better solution to this issue and possible problem
      Attached Files
      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-24-2021, 12:21 PM.
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Update auxiliary

supply board in it case
        Attached Files
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
          Update auxiliary

supply board in it case
          thats nice

Comment

Working...
          X