Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Swapping out a NiMh for a LiPo?

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
    What the... didn't even see you used a i2c rtc in the design... I would have just did the RTC in software and omitted a chip since it doesn't even need to be that accurate.
    So when the power goes out and your software RTC doesn't know what time it is when the power comes back on ... then what?

Other thing is that I probably would have added an LED that blinks while it's self-testing. Then the user wouldn't wonder why the light was on unexpectedly...
    The light has an LED that indicates when it's getting power from main ... so when the lights are on and that LED is off ... yet their TV is still on ... probably a good indication that we're refreshing the battery ....

Comment

Originally posted by EasyGoing1 View Post
      So when the power goes out and your software RTC doesn't know what time it is when the power comes back on ... then what?
      A, isn't that what the battery is for? You have two batteries after all!
      and B, does it really matter?
      The light has an LED that indicates when it's getting power from main ... so when the lights are on and that LED is off ... yet their TV is still on ... probably a good indication that we're refreshing the battery ....
      As long as it's clear, but this does not seem very clear. Then again for personal use it doesn't matter though.

Comment

A, isn't that what the battery is for? You have two batteries after all!
        and B, does it really matter?
        I was talking about YOUR design where you said you would have skipped the RTC chip and just implemented the RTC in software ... you usually can't battery back the microcontroller, but the RTC chips are designed for that.

And NO, I only have ONE battery.

And YES, it does matter, because I want the circuit to discharge the battery when the day starts so that it can discharge, then charge and be ready to go by sundown ... as opposed to the unit discharging the battery at 6 pm then when the power goes out at midnight, I have no lights because my SOFTWARE RTC forgot what friggin time it was when the power went out...

Why in the world would you invest all that time writing a software RTC when you get the chips for a couple of bucks?

Comment

You have two batteries: the CR2032 and ... the Li-ion pack!

Up to you. Your money. Could have made the board smaller, less components, and thus cheaper... BTW yes this is depending on a low power microcontroller like the atmels, attiny, etc.

Comment

You have two batteries: the CR2032 and ... the Li-ion pack!

Up to you. Your money. Could have made the board smaller, less components, and thus cheaper... BTW yes this is depending on a low power microcontroller like the atmels, attiny, etc.
            There is no "LiIon Pack" The light itself is runs from a NiMh pack when AC is removed from the light ... maybe this will help ...

Comment

"wonderful" design...

Comment

"wonderful" design...
                It works

Comment

and it still needs an external device to set the time...

Comment

and it still needs an external device to set the time...
                    Are you intentionally being obtuse?

Comment

Are you intentionally thinking your design is the world's next unicorn product?

BTW this topic has gone off topic...where's the LiPo... I think we're done.
                      Last edited by eccerr0r; 06-02-2021, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyGoing1 View Post
                        And YES, it does matter, because I want the circuit to discharge the battery when the day starts so that it can discharge, then charge and be ready to go by sundown ... as opposed to the unit discharging the battery at 6 pm then when the power goes out at midnight, I have no lights because my SOFTWARE RTC forgot what friggin time it was when the power went out...

Why in the world would you invest all that time writing a software RTC when you get the chips for a couple of bucks?
                        You do not need a time keeping chip if you just a photo cell and if there is daylight then do it program and when dark then a different part of the program it does not have to difficult to unless you want to do something different
                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                        1 Dell Mother Board
                        15 Computer Power Supply
                        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

He never does things the simple way

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                            You do not need a time keeping chip if you just a photo cell and if there is daylight then do it program and when dark then a different part of the program it does not have to difficult to unless you want to do something different
                            Originally posted by brethin View Post
                            He never does things the simple way
                            My design refreshes the battery exactly once every six weeks. Power interruptions will not change the schedule, and the location of this light is in a hallway where it's fairly dark all the time ... but I wouldn't even consider doing this without an RTC chip ... I don't see what the big deal is ... trying to do something with accuracy and reliability ...

As far as cost goes, this was a personal project ... I'm not trying to market the thing .. I had fun doing it, so the cost was irrelevant.

Comment

Working...
                            X