X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi Folks,

I just wanted to add a photo of the old Timex/Sinclair 1000 as it is used to partially control the train layout. I noticed that other forum members have fond memories of the old Timex.

Take care, Joe.
    Attached Files

Comment

I miss my Timex...

Comment

I remember typing in all of Lunar Lander on one. - We never got the tape to work, so we had to leave it plugged in all the time.

We had the extra 16k memory module though! (the Sinclair was a win from a giveaway, but we paid for the module)

Comment

I had to prop my 16k module up with a book to keep it connected. It was so heavy it would fall off!

The "shift/ shortcuts" to BASIC commands did not seem to speed up code entry on the McDonald land keyboard.

Comment

Hi Folks,

The Timex/Sinclair 1000 keyboard shortcuts were o.k. when you got used to them, but they also made you develop a few bad habits. I still sometimes revert to the old Timex's keyboard habits, mostly because I still use it now and then.

I still have RAM pack wobble issues from vibration, but I got used to it.

Take care, Joe.

Comment

Hello there Cappers!

My name is Matt and I'm from little ol' england across the pond!
              The place that the pilgrim fathers set off from is on the Barbican in Plymouth where i live so we feel we've a special connection to our USA relatives

New to forum, just to say Hi and thanks for all the info i've read so far.

Was lead here cos of Dell's GX270/80 exploding caps. Hopefully will get some caps soon and then be able to fix some boards.

Matt

Comment

Hi, got referred by Wolf from Allpar when I PMed him about hard to get caps so I can repair early quiet sparkle PSU of mine that I aquired 5 years ago when 120mm fan PSUs was a rarity.

Oh, I'm no stranger to electronic repair for years, reason I got this Wizard nickname was I fixed 3 Asus PL97 motherboards in a row just the bad caps nearly 10 years ago.

My main job is fixing TVs so you can enjoy watching anything.

Cheers, Wizard
                Last edited by Wizard; 03-19-2008, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Hi all! Ya all can call me Gendo

Anyhow, I got my first computer in 1996, and I've been tinkering around with computer hardware ever since.

I have also had a bad run of luck with bad capacitors, starting with my $245.00 dual Athlon MP motherboard I bought for my file server while working at a low paying fast food job.

Comment

Hello All,
                    Just stumbled on your site researching an e-machine flat panel with bad Samxon caps, not sure what happened to them yet but they all had a bad case of hemorrhoid, lots of interesting reading here.

Comment

always been a bit of an electronics nut started way back with a sinclair ZX81 i brought in kit form
                      to the present day where i collect up fault goods via local freecycle groups /word of mouth/ friends etc

been fixing kit for about 30 years

my work has been (tv studio equitment - indrustral computers- band equitment - racecar electronics- now doing minature infrared cameras)

all the best
                      vince
                      Last edited by FIXITNOW; 06-17-2008, 12:56 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Hi all,originally I sent a mobo to badcaps to fix years ago since then I've fixed a few different things as the need arises.i just repaired a 17" Norcent lcd ,backlight was weak,found 2 470 microfarad 16v caps bad,works perfect now.also waiting on parts for a dell gx270,and a hp dx2000
                        later Harmie

Comment

Hi to all who ,like me ,loves to succeed in repairing stuff that just fails to work properly(saving money and being at the mercy of an arrogant repair person helps alot). Being a field mechanic for a popular diesel engine manufacturer most of my adult life has given me some McGyver(remember that tv show?) like skills in the way of ;I can make due with what I have at my disposal,usually. I really don't know enough about electronics yet to do it the way I did as my years as diesel mechanic. So my Question to all the knowledgeable people on the really great site ,I am proud to be accepted into would be ; Can I substitute a higher voltage cap ,say a 35 volt 0.1 uf for a 25 volt 0.1 uf. I have really searched alot and have given up. Please supply me with some input on this matter.
                          Thanks
                          Dave
                          Last edited by CudaDave70; 06-22-2008, 09:13 AM.
                          I am pretty good at keeping a secret,it's the people I tell that can't keep their mouth shut!

Comment

yes 35v instead of 25v is ok as long as you have room as they are usually larger
                            going to the next voltage up is something i have often done if there is room
                            ie 10v to 16v
                            16v to 25v
                            25v to 35v
                            35v to 50v or 63v
                            50v or 63v to 100v

Comment

Hi all,
                              My name is Jim Brand I'm from the U.K,currently trying to re cap a GX270,it seems on closer inspection that its just the 1500mf 6.3 v caps that have bulged/leaked,should I replace all the rest as well?

Comment

hello, im a new guy,um dont know too much about caps so bear with me..someone told me about yalls site ,,bam im here. thx for haveing me here...ill try not to ask to many questions,im full of them.....anyway can any one guide me to were i can ask.......trouble shooting a main power board?for a tatung 42' plasma tv....thx
                                bad caps make me crazy

Comment

Welcome to the best forum on the net! My name is "Junk Parts." I am known as a "Dumpster Diver." I bet I know were every PC store dumpster is located at in my city. The best find I ever made was 21 brand new copies of Win NT 4.0 with serials! Life was good back then. I do buy new parts too now and then. The last thing I bought new was a Sony CDRW/DVDRW drive about four years ago at CompUSA...LOL I may also be the Town as well as the Forum drunk so look foward to some interesting post from the desk of Junk Parts! So I say again to all the Newbies...Welcome!
                                  P.S. PM me if you know of any good dumpsters in and around the Baltimore Maryland area.... Only kidding...I don't dumpster dive anymore.
                                  "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                                  Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                                  John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                                  Rod Serling

Comment

I'm not new, so this a re-introduction.
                                    From the Norwegian Arne tribe.
                                    After we discovered fire and what it does to capacitors,
                                    I became interested in computers.
                                    There were no computers at the time so I played with television instead.
                                    I've had some stints with Xerox and IBM and ATT and the like and did some nuke plant systems as well as overseas building control.
                                    I am now training for the Olympics in the 'light 'class 2.5" Hard Drive throwing event.
                                    They don't go as far as the bigger ones, less broken windows. (pun intended)
                                    Jim

Comment

Oh' I didn't tell you all, but after my 5th. stint in rehab I did get a new job! I became a Millwright, and I did a great deal of work in the Atom Smasher Plants like Peach Bottom, Calvert Cliffs, and Three Mile Island. You know...E=MC2, and silly crap like that.... FI! Weld this to that, and it works again....Maybe.....What do we care....We are Union! The job is done/sold, and we are out of there!
                                      "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                                      Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                                      John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                                      Rod Serling

Comment

Hi all ,name is Jorge .
                                        I'm currently a helpdesk guy doing 1st and 2nd level support , and did a stint in R&D for 15 years . Live down here in the Ft lauderdale 'burbs. Current project: Adding Peltier cooling to car cupholders
                                        Hobbies: videography , bowling ,travel, cooking . I also roast my own coffee as a small cottage industry Any other foodies out there?

Comment

Hey flacoman, I'm not far from you.
                                          I was wondering how many cup holders it would
                                          take to get rid of my AC compressor?
                                          Could you maybe have one really large one that I could sit in?
                                          Jim

Comment

Working...
                                          X