Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP Omen 15 - Short on GPU side but only draw <2W

Hi there,
    I have this HP Omen 15 (GTX 1050) with a shorted GPU. GPU coil resistance 0.1 ohms in continuity mode with 0.001V drop in diode mode.
    I then desoldered the coil and confirmed the short is on GPU side. (Without the GPU coil, the laptop power led lights up when plugged in)
    I injected 1V to find the short and to my surprise, the board only consumed 1.8Amps (My power supply can provide 10A max) and nothing got hot.
    At this point, I am lost. There should be a short somewhere on GPU side but how can it only draw less than 2W?

Re: HP Omen 15 - Short on GPU side but only draw &lt;2W

It is normal if you have low resistance ohms law R* I*I=P or U *I =P. By my case it was less what i would suggest is remove one coil or lift one coil and see the resistance from current sensor icrease. Do you fase controller on your mosfet are seperate mosfets low and high side if you have esr meter you can test it too the lowest resistance on the fase is the bad mosfet if you find the shorted mosfet you nedd to replace high +law side + controller. If you have phase controller mosfet just that one and hope that the gpu is not dead.

Good luck

Steve

Comment

Hi steve,
      Thanks for your reply. I'm not really sure I understand you correctly but I did remove the coil for GPU and confirmed the short is on GPU side. There is no problem on the MOSFET side or the MOSFET controller. The low resistance of 0.1ohms is from the GPU side with or without the coil. I understand the ohms law but in this case, it doesn't make sense when with 1V and 0.1ohms, you would expect around 10Amps (not to take into account the resistance of the multimeter itself so the real resistance of the GPU side would be less than 0.1ohms).
      I don't have much experience myself so I am wondering if a dead GPU would be the cause of this weird behaviour. If it is truly due to GPU and not some caps then I would better give up on fixing the board.

Comment

I figured it out. The low Amps are due to the resistance of the probes of the power supply. I replaced the probes with thick copper wires and was able to push the board to 10A. Unfortunately, the only component getting warm is GPU so I can only guess it's a dead GPU.

Comment

How much voltage do you inject? Probably dead gpu maybe you can try dismantle gpu anduse onboard graphic chip. If you are lucky it is just removing the coil. What I strange find they is only one coil? Normal every phase of the gpu has a coil on modern board. Do you have pictures ofyour board.

Comment

I injected 1V though with the short in current control mode, the board only drew 0.35V 10A.
            The laptop power led lights up when plugged in after removing the coils as I said in the first post. The laptop won't boot though. To convert this laptop to UMA I would need a schematic with is not available for this board.
            The board number is DAG3aambaf0 if you want to look for images. It's not only 1 coil. I need to remove all 3 coils for GPU.

Comment

Just another piece of information. From the laptop SSD, I found out that the previous owner used the laptop for cryptocurrency mining. The more reason to believe that the GPU is dead.

Comment

Yea probly it is possible that the gpu is gone. That is bummper then you have donorboard now then. By the way i can not see any pictures.

Regards

Steve

Comment

Working...
                X