New Tps65988ce IC don't negotiate 20v spectre x360 2019 model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Tps65988ce IC don't negotiate 20v spectre x360 2019 model

Hi guys i ve got spectre laptop only charging on one cable orientation. If I reverse the c plug it would not charge. Happens on both c ports.

Easy I thought I must be the ic at fault.

So after ordering and soldering new one to my surprise it only negotiate up to 5v. No short on 19v rail, no shirt on mosfets, etc.

Putting back old ic fixes that.

And I have verified the old and new one are tps65988ce (ends with ce ) and chip layouts match..

So what could be the issue here ??

Thanks

Edit
    Ic bought from AliExpress

Re: New Tps65988ce IC don't negotiate 20v spectre x360 2019 model

Continue to use the original tps65988ce power delivery controller since it can select the 20V contract.

Is there a schematic available for this logic board (have not yet reviewed my database of schematics).

Post it here or link it if on this forum.

Search for nearby ESD diodes and with no power to the logic board -> check the resistance to ground of the CCx lines on the USB Type C connector.

Review the resistance to ground for the side that is working and compare to the side that is not working.

Also use your meter in DIODE mode -> red meter lead to ground (yes, red lead).

Black meter lead to the CCx pin on the Type C connector. Diode mode is again without power to the logic board.

Post all measurements.

Comment

I am unaware if there's any schematic of this model or anything that is close enough

Measurements are taken following your direction. For ohm black to ground red to cc, for diode the other way around.

Port 1
      Cc A5 0.3v 5.8 MOhm
      Cc B5 0.5v 500 ohm

Port 2
      Cc A5 0.6v 1.2 MOhm
      Cc B5 0.6v 5.7MOhm

The thing is I have another board with shorted TPS IC so I really need to find a replacement

Comment

Cc B5 0.5v 500 ohm
        Is this resistance reading correct ? 500 ohms to ground ?

Comment

It is. Give or take

Ugh btw all the chips I ordered gave me 5v top... Tried soldering them all
          Last edited by ss45; 06-15-2022, 09:14 AM.

Comment

There is a brief mention of an INTERNAL ROM inside this device. Guessing that the internal rom is blank on the fresh chips.

Respectively, the factory should have a tool to reflash this ROM area inside the PD controller. Consider to ping the factory for tech support and ask them directly about the USB Type C firmware. I recall that Cypress had a similar presence on a logic board and the laptop vendor had tools that you could download to reflash the PD controller.

Comment

Thanks for the insight

Darn that's something isn't it .. thought it was going to be plug n play...

Comment

Can you review the following video? Is your model the same ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOBlPeaL-gI

Comment

Research continued...

See attached. From the tool that TI is referencing, it should be possible to READ the configuration from inside the IC that is working.

Then you can save it and apply the same configuration onto a fresh device.

At least in theory.

From the screen shots, the tool is based on the FTDI controller. We have some knowledge on this controller.

To create a USB to I2C or SPI bridge, the FTDI controller MUST offer the MPSSE engine. The part number notes this feature with a 'H' suffix in the markings.

So for example, FT232H = single port controller WITH MPSSE engine.

Then using such a controller based PCBA - there are many on the market but again, must have the proper controller -> proceed to wire it onto the logic board and run their app to create the USB based I2C Bus Master.

The app will then proceed to R/W the firmware after you dump it from the original.

I can post the request for a confirmation of this understanding & device on the TI engineering forum. They are pretty good about support for companies.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by mon2; 06-15-2022, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Can you post a clear pic of the ORGINAL IC that is the USB Type C power delivery controller ?

NorthRidgeFix is showing a different p/n in the video and he only replaced the IC - no firmware required.

See attached.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by mon2; 06-15-2022, 12:39 PM.

Comment

The first video link you shared it looks like thunderbolt ic to me

About spi device I don't have ft232 only ch341a that I believe can be used as spi bridge
                      Can it be accessed from windows through internal i2c bus ?

I have another idea, would a bios update force sio ic to also write firmware in TPS ?

Original Tps65988ce photos attached

Yeah in Another northbridge's video the chip is tps65982 ic. I have replaced one on Asus, it was a breeze
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by ss45; 06-15-2022, 11:35 PM.

Comment

when usb-c not working on both sides is mostly caused by bad connector connection. see Northridge fix, he have few cases like this

Comment

The pins are cleaned. Changing new connector didn't solve it

Comment

My suggestion is to remain with the FTDI original programmer method so that you can make use of the same tool from TI for this target.

At this time, we do not know how exactly the internals of this power delivery controller operates (registers, etc.) but the TI factory tool does.

The TI factory tool is known to work with this target controller but when it launches, it will hunt for the USB IDs linked to the FTDI controller, not the CH341 or another.

To reduce the many hurdles, consider to source the FTDI based programming tool. In summary, the FT232H (the 'H' is important) and will offer the MPSSE engine to allow for the tool to become a SPI / I2C, etc. programmer.

Adafruit and others should offer < $20 solutions for such a tool. Before buying, link it here so we can review the specs.

Yes, there is a possibility that a BIOS upgrade can fix this fault but the factory should validate this for you. Just the same, you can try it to see if it does act like a programmer.

Comment

Well unfortunately it can't turn on even though the battery is full. No 3.3 at power button. :violin

Comment

Review the parts near the battery connector. You should find most likely 3 mosfets and a charging IC.

What are the markings on the topside of the charging IC?

From these details, we can get an idea of which parts are on your logic board. Often the same IC is used on other logic boards or we can study the datasheet for the component.

Then we can inspect if the battery mosfet is defective or not using resistance checks.

You can also take clear pics of the parts and post them here for a review.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post

My suggestion is to remain with the FTDI original programmer method so that you can make use of the same tool from TI for this target.

At this time, we do not know how exactly the internals of this power delivery controller operates (registers, etc.) but the TI factory tool does.

The TI factory tool is known to work with this target controller but when it launches, it will hunt for the USB IDs linked to the FTDI controller, not the CH341 or another.

To reduce the many hurdles, consider to source the FTDI based programming tool. In summary, the FT232H (the 'H' is important) and will offer the MPSSE engine to allow for the tool to become a SPI / I2C, etc. programmer.

Adafruit and others should offer < $20 solutions for such a tool. Before buying, link it here so we can review the specs.

Yes, there is a possibility that a BIOS upgrade can fix this fault but the factory should validate this for you. Just the same, you can try it to see if it does act like a programmer.
                                  hi was wondering why always when i change type c's controller the laptop end up with 5v not 20v , never knew that tps has to be programmed!! i have dell laptop with two type c controllers both of them are dead , replaced them with new ones , i have an othe working laptop exact same model ,can i read the dump fille from this laptop? and write it to the new tps? already ordered ft232h from amazon Garosa CJMCU FT232H High Speed Multifunction Module USB to JTAG UART/FIFO SPI/I2C Module for Debugging and Programming) , what pins i need to connect ? thatkx

Comment

View this procedure:

TPS6598x application customization GUI tool: A basic introduction | Video | TI.com

Comment

thanks , do you know what pins do i have connect?

Comment

What is the exact part number that you have sourced as the replacement.

Do review this thread:

HP Specter DA0X36MBAE0 REV: E - Shorted TPS65988CE - Badcaps

Comment

Working...
                                        X