Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need a new multimeter but don't want to spend a fortune.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a new multimeter but don't want to spend a fortune.

Been looking over on youtube of the eevblog guys review of multimeters in the $50-100 range. Some are junk, some are fairly decent but still can't compare to one of the $300 Flukes.

Basically what I'm looking for is something with accuracy more than 0.5%, autoranging, decent explosion proof fuses, and can take a licking and keep on ticking.

Based upon what I have seen, the Extech EX430 might be decent meter but sorta pricey at $95. Its a true RMS meter with an accuracy of 0.3% with an option to have your particular model calibrated against an NIST standard whatever for an extra $50. Its sorta like paying $35 for a $10 lab thermometer that has been calibrated against a $400 NIST thermometer.

So whatcha think is the best deal in the $50-100 range?

Re: I need a new multimeter but don't want to spend a fortune.

Have you tried e-bay?

Second hand Flukes can be purchased for very little money.

If you already watched the EEV blog 50 and 100 dollar shootouts that's pretty much what you're going to get for your money if you want a new meter. You can get a Fluke (a model 77) in the 100-140 range if you're willing to go used 40-100 if you're really patient.

You also have other decent brands to choose from like Agilent, Extech, and Amprobe.
    Last edited by Krankshaft; 08-22-2011, 09:28 PM.
    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

If portability isn't essential why not consider a bench DMM? I'm watching a few at the moment, hoping to get myself a bargain to use alongside my existing Digital and Analogue handhelds. You can get some seriously accurate/sensitive bench testers for a lot less than a Fluke (at least that's the case here in the UK).
      System: HP xw6600 Workstation, 650W PSU | 2x Intel Xeon Quad E5440 @2.83GHz | 8x 1GB FB-DDR2 @ 667MHz | Kingston/Intel X25-M 160GB SSD | 2x 1TB Spinpoint F3, RAID0 | 1x 1TB Spinpoint F3, backup | ATI FireGL V7700 512MB | Sony Optiarc DVD +/-RW | Win 7 Ultimate x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp U2410f | Dell E248WFP

Comment

Go for a second-hand older Fluke.
        Series 87 are recomended as good and reliable meters. Series 180 also, but they are in another price range being the top range meters at their time.
        And, depending on your requirements, you may also look at newer series 27.

If Fluke is not an option, go for newer Agilents or even Uni-T. The latter ones are quite good spec/money, but nobody can tell if they will last a long time. Uni-T calibrates them with Fluke calibrators.

Comment

There is a real nice DMM for $14.95 at www.mpja.com their part number is 14213-TE. I bought two of them and use them all the time. Check it out!
          Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Fluke 17B- $80

It's a "China-only" genuine Fluke. Honestly, after looking at many reviews, there is really nothing but good things about this meter. Excellent quality construction. Just as good as USA Made fluke meters, in my opinion.

High precision components, SMD metal films, SMD tantalums, like 3-4 MOVs, PTC, nice big resistor, high rupture fuses (HRC), really high quality input jacks, and an excellent quality PCB, similar (maybe the same) as the ones Fluke USA uses. It uses two AA batteries which I find to be so much better than 9V, which a lot of meters use. Now AAs can of course be implemented incorrectly, but for the most part, you get better battery life using AAs versus a 9V which a lot of power is typically wasted, and the cell physically has less mAh.

Has all the functions you'd want. VAC, VDC, Resistance, Diode, Continuity, Capacitance, Current and Temperature. Good external build too. Feels like a real Fluke, according to owners.

Only complaints is that it uses a SOB (system on a blob). They put the die right on the board instead of using a standard QFP, which isn't really an issue, just makes modding it difficult. The continuity tester is not latched, but it's quick. That's the only REAL problem I have with that. I hate non-lateched DMMs...There's also no TRMS, but few people really need TRMS, especially if you're new to the game. There's no backlight, but then again, I'm hoping none of you are trying to throw together circuits in the darkness of the night.

So most of the shortfalls in my opinion, are not really shortfalls. They were cuts made to keep the price low, and they really do not have a bad effect on you. You probably wouldn't have much of a Fluke warranty, but if you buy from a good seller, then you'd most likely be fine if you had issues, which I doubt you will.

I do not own it, but I've really been wooed by the fact that there is finally a cheap Fluke meter that actually lives up to Fluke standards. Tell me that doesn't look good? Again it's a "China-only" model, but there's tons of them on eBay which makes it a non issue. I think it's one of the best buys out there. Plus it's a Fluke...

Here's one review: http://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4068.0. There are several other reviews out there.

Attached Files
            Last edited by TheLaw; 09-15-2011, 07:12 PM.

Comment

It's a Fluke, but is not having calibration certificate, no CE/UL certifications, and so on. No closed-case calibration also.
              The one-year (or two) warranty is something that tells us that the components will drift faster than US-made Flukes.

If you can live with this, go on.
              But in US, at $80 you can find a second-hand US-made Fluke which is a lot better.

Comment

I'm planning to get a Uni-T 61E from eBay, at 50$ plus about 14$ shipping to Romania, definitely less to US and other countries:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=p5197.c0.m619

It's a 22000 model, while the more expensive 61D (70$+shipping) is only 6000 and was reviewed at eevblog and was found quite good. Some brand name multimeters were actually worse overall but in the end he placed them over the uni-t model because of reputation (he was saying the uni-t is only one sample, he can't be sure all are the same quality).
                Last edited by mariushm; 09-16-2011, 03:23 AM.

Comment

Double post... deleted.
                  Last edited by Evil Lurker; 09-16-2011, 09:51 AM.

Comment

I ended up getting a Harbor Freight cheapie 5-n-1 meter Item # 98674.

Its pretty nice for $35. Has autoranging, ceramic fuse in its own compartment, runs off three AAA batteries in their own little self contained compartment with the cover using real threaded screws into metal, back lit jacks for almost idiot proof connections. Seems accurate enough for a noob such as myself. Also inlcludes a Lux meter, dB meter, temperature probe. Resistance is 10Mohm. Normal probes could be a bit sharper, but they feel good and are rated at 1000V. Only thing that I don't like is the autoranging is sloooow, but at least it doesn't overshoot much. Haven't opened it up yet. Figure I will just baby the meter till I can come up with the cash to buy something better.

Also, you want to avoid Harbor Freight's Item # 37772 like the plague. These things are worthless pieces of shit... got one, left it in the sun for like an hour, damn thing freaking melted! No kidding. But the biggest flaw with this meter is the tilting display. Uses some sort of graphite on plastic connector for the LCD which is very very touchy and likes to die leaving your meter for all intents and purposes dead in the water. No HRC fuses, cheapy screws in plastic, and some sloppy hand soldering. Crap Crap Crap Crap Crap.

Also, Harbor Freight offers a couple ultra cheapy models. These things are actual fairly decent, tough little meters. Not very accurate, but considering you can catch them on sale for less than $5 they are a hellova bargain. They take a 9v battery and will run a week or more on it (continuous on). Taking into consideration you may need more than one multimeter for a project I would say pick up several of them. You can always compare their readings to a more calibrated meter and make relative measurments.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Lurker View Post
                      I ended up getting a Harbor Freight cheapie 5-n-1 meter Item # 98674.

Its pretty nice for $35. Has autoranging, ceramic fuse in its own compartment, runs off three AAA batteries in their own little self contained compartment with the cover using real threaded screws into metal, back lit jacks for almost idiot proof connections. Seems accurate enough for a noob such as myself. Also inlcludes a Lux meter, dB meter, temperature probe. Resistance is 10Mohm. Normal probes could be a bit sharper, but they feel good and are rated at 1000V. Only thing that I don't like is the autoranging is sloooow, but at least it doesn't overshoot much. Haven't opened it up yet. Figure I will just baby the meter till I can come up with the cash to buy something better.

Also, you want to avoid Harbor Freight's Item # 37772 like the plague. These things are worthless pieces of shit... got one, left it in the sun for like an hour, damn thing freaking melted! No kidding. But the biggest flaw with this meter is the tilting display. Uses some sort of graphite on plastic connector for the LCD which is very very touchy and likes to die leaving your meter for all intents and purposes dead in the water. No HRC fuses, cheapy screws in plastic, and some sloppy hand soldering. Crap Crap Crap Crap Crap.

Also, Harbor Freight offers a couple ultra cheapy models. These things are actual fairly decent, tough little meters. Not very accurate, but considering you can catch them on sale for less than $5 they are a hellova bargain. They take a 9v battery and will run a week or more on it (continuous on). Taking into consideration you may need more than one multimeter for a project I would say pick up several of them. You can always compare their readings to a more calibrated meter and make relative measurments.
                      Not a bad choice for $35. Something happened to your pictures...Maybe you can reupload them?

Comment

Originally posted by ipman View Post
                        It's a Fluke, but is not having calibration certificate, no CE/UL certifications, and so on. No closed-case calibration also.
                        The one-year (or two) warranty is something that tells us that the components will drift faster than US-made Flukes.

If you can live with this, go on.
                        But in US, at $80 you can find a second-hand US-made Fluke which is a lot better.
                        I dunno. They look pretty high quality to me...I don't know about those surface mount pots...but otherwise looks good.

Regardless, it's your choice. An Amprobe or Extech are pretty good values for the money as well.

Comment

Working...
                        X