Did i buy a bad capacitor (TAICON) ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did i buy a bad capacitor (TAICON) ?

hello guys, my xfx9600gt capacitor got blown . I came to know its sacon brand
    the specs are
    fz82
    1000uf
    6.3volt

The card is two years old which is out of warranty and had been working fine so far. One fine day, i got a white screen when my staff pulled the drawer of the table which lead to a slight shake and the screen went white. The pc hung and even the ctrl alt del keys and the numlock keys failed to work. So i had to cold restart the pc by pressing the reset button and everything ran normal for the following 2 days. Then when i unplugged the stereo cable from my sound card (which is age old yamaha 724 series) the same white screen showed up. So i suspected there might be a problem with the sound card which might have become loose from the pci slot but didnt take any action.

The next day while i was working with Tally , the screen blacked out and PC froze. So had to push reset button as keyb keys failed to work as before. After restarting i didnt get any display. So i removed the gfx card and the sound card the PC had been working fine till now.

I noticed that one of the card's capacitor with the above rating had gone blown up. Could this be a problem ?. Now i have replaced that blown cap with a taicon capacitor with the same rating. But i have no idea about the ESR or ripple rating and replaced it. Will this damage the card and/or the motherboard/other components ?. Replaced it just half an hour back and the card seems to work normal but have to observe it atleast for a couple of days .

I was shocked to see the Taicon brand enlisted under the bad capacitor mfrs list. Now i am very much worried. I was searching for panasonic ones and they arent available in my locality. Those which are available here are taicon, capxon, samxon, etc. I came to know that the samxon is a good unit and should have replaced it with that. I was told that the gfx cards with fz series are cheap seacon capacitors. I was under the wrong impression that the samxon and the seacon capacitors are deceptively similar and opted for the taicon brand.

Now what to do ?. Should i replace the TAICON with the SAMXON or use it until it dies and get the samxon thereafter ?.

Moreover when i mailed XFX, singapore (from where the card is purchased) they told that this issue can even be a result of failing GPU due to its age !!!???. Its only 2 yrs old . OMG . They ask 40SGD for diagonising this issue. I cannot afford this much just for diagonising this card and they didnt tell anything about the service charge.
    Instead i can invest some extra bucks and buy a new card itself...

So guys please help...

thanx in advance

Re: Did i buy a bad capacitor (TAICON) ?

If the capacitor has exploded, yes that is almost 100% the problem. Taicon isn't the worst, but there are much better replacements. A low ESR cap from Nichicon, Nippon-chemicon, Panasonic, Rubycon, Samxon, or even Teapo would probably be a better bet. I don't know where you can get your parts from but...those would probably work fine.

Comment

Re: Did i buy a bad capacitor (TAICON) ?

Samxon should be good, just make sure you get the Low ESR ones. Should replace -all- the Sacon, they are rubbish.
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
      X