Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASUS ROG G14 (GA401) battery spark, dead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ASUS ROG G14 (GA401) battery spark, dead.

Can you give resisastance value in ohms 200 from D-G, S-G en D-S . Btw the other current R005 by the mosfet R010 is from the charging circuit. Which charger ic do you have. Ohms reading are without power.

Thank you

Comment

Sorry I don't know what you mean by Ohms 200, my Fluke has a auto setting, and a manuel setting, setting it to the minimum reading (300 ohm) will not allow it to read values that are higher than 300ohm (see picture)

The charging chip is a bq24780s.

Comment

so all D-S , G-S and G-D are in kohms that is good. So we. Must look to bq area of the ic .

Comment

What voltages do you got on the bq ic. Tip probe on nearby components so you do not short something .

Comment

Originally posted by Stevedb View Post
            What voltages do you got on the bq ic. Tip probe on nearby components so you do not short something .
            I'm going to check VCC, anything else?
            Attached Files

Comment

You need to check pin 26,27,28 ,1 ,2,3,4,5,6, 18,17

Where you not have voltage you need to measure resistance to ground

Regards

Steve

Comment

You need to check pin 26,27,28 ,1 ,2,3,4,5,6, 18,17

Where you not have voltage you need to measure resistance to ground

Regards

Steve
                All done!
                The battery was not plugged in when doing the voltage testing BTW.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by jacobtc; 04-23-2022, 05:03 PM.

Comment

So you do not have voltage on acdet , acok

Batterymust be present when you do voltage checks.

But looks like you have short on pin phase 0,26 ohms or is value wrong. Resistance values are without power yes.

Regards
                  Last edited by Stevedb; 04-24-2022, 02:22 AM.

Comment

So you do not have voltage on acdet , acok

Batterymust be present when you do voltage checks.

But looks like you have short on pin phase 0,26 ohms or is value wrong. Resistance values are without power yes.

Regards
                    Double checked, it read 0,26ohms on Phase pin

Also got new meassurements with battery and DC connected (In blue)
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by jacobtc; 04-24-2022, 05:04 AM.

Comment

Would voltage injection and a thermal camera be of any help?

Comment

Hi did you redo the measurements with power supply and battery present if you still have no voltage on pins 3 till 6 and the same resistance on phase i would remove the chip and see if the resistance increase to in kohms. I think you have a dead bq chip. If you still has 0,26 ohm after remove the chip i would inject 1v 2a to that pin and see what is getting hot

Regards and good luck

Steve

Comment

Dont play with voltage Injection on these newer machines.You may accidentally kill the cpu. Go to basics first.

BQ24780 is not getting voltage on Pin1-2 & 3. Absence of voltage on pin 1-2 perhaps indicate short on B+ line and/or shorted dc-in mosfets. So check them first. Without getting any voltage on Pin 1-2-3, ACDRV/ACOK/ACDET etc will not work at all. REGN shoul be generated as VCC is present. This is LDO output of charging IC. So very likely your charging IC is also bad. Once you fix these errors, then do check presence of 3V LDO as BQ24780 works in conjuction with 3V rail. While replacing charging IC, take care to replace with exact suffix as BQ24780/24780S are not inter-changeable.

Good Luck.

Comment

Hi did you redo the measurements with power supply and battery present if you still have no voltage on pins 3 till 6 and the same resistance on phase i would remove the chip and see if the resistance increase to in kohms. I think you have a dead bq chip. If you still has 0,26 ohm after remove the chip i would inject 1v 2a to that pin and see what is getting hot

Regards and good luck

Steve
                            Hey, yes I did redo the voltage check with DC and battery connected, check the previous image I uploaded (new meassurements in blue)

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
                              Dont play with voltage Injection on these newer machines.You may accidentally kill the cpu. Go to basics first.

BQ24780 is not getting voltage on Pin1-2 & 3. Absence of voltage on pin 1-2 perhaps indicate short on B+ line and/or shorted dc-in mosfets. So check them first. Without getting any voltage on Pin 1-2-3, ACDRV/ACOK/ACDET etc will not work at all. REGN shoul be generated as VCC is present. This is LDO output of charging IC. So very likely your charging IC is also bad. Once you fix these errors, then do check presence of 3V LDO as BQ24780 works in conjuction with 3V rail. While replacing charging IC, take care to replace with exact suffix as BQ24780/24780S are not inter-changeable.

Good Luck.
                              Thanks! I'm not sure how to identify whether the mosfets are bad, other than to remove them and check them individually for shorts when they are off the board. As you can see in my earlier posts, the first mosfet seems to work correctly, but the next one does not output 20V. I ordered some new charging IC's (BQ24780S). What would you suggest should be my next step? Desolder the charging IC, and check for shorts again?
                              Last edited by jacobtc; 04-25-2022, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Hi here a picture how to test mosfets.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Hi here a picture how to test mosfets.
                                  Thank you, I already did measurements on the DC in mosfets in an earlier post. I've attached the picture again.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Ok the mosfets are good it is time to remove the chip and replace bq chip. Before you replace the chip measure pin phase it is still shorted.

Good luck

Comment

Ok the mosfets are good it is time to remove the chip and replace bq chip. Before you replace the chip measure pin phase it is still shorted.

Good luck
                                      Thanks, I'll do that after work

Also, are the mosfets good due to the high resistance, or are there other ways to tell?

Comment

Yes they are good if the resistance is high. If you got example 60ohms or les between G-S or D-G or S-G the mosfet is bad

Comment

Yes they are good if the resistance is high. If you got example 60ohms or les between G-S or D-G or S-G the mosfet is bad
                                          Thanks, I'll get the IC off today, I ordered some replacements from Aliexpress, so it will take a while before I can solder on a new one, but at least I can check if the short is gone.

Comment

Working...
                                          X