X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hello people,
    I am so happy that I found this amazing forum. You can't imagine! I write out of a very special situation. Me and my girlfriend, together with about 400 other tourists, we are trapped in by India/Goa since the 22nd of March. That's 5 months now and it will go on for many more months. Many people planned to stay a couple of weeks only and now have to manage a serious surivival situation. Goa is located 600 km away from the next international airport which is in Mumbai. From there sometimes there is the offer for a repatriation flight back to Europe (I am from Germany), but we have no chance to come there. Also, these flights are canceled many times. So if you make the way somehow, and find your flight is canceled in the last minute, you are trapped in Mumbai which is currently the most dangerous to stay in India. Besides all the disasters we have here like Cyclones, heavy rainfall, being arrested at home, having no normal access to food and water for the beginning two months after lockdown, I am in a very lucky position: I found the love of my life here and I am locked down with her since 5 month. My situation is very ambivalent: scared and full of sorrows on one hand and in total love mood the same time.
    Back to myself and why I need now help from people like you are:
    All of us lockdown tourists are extremely dependent on communication with the rest of the world for social and survival reasons. In the area, I am locked down in now, I am the only one with some deeper experience about fixing computers. This is because I had a media production company for 14 years and we had to learn to fix hardware stuff ourselves. But I never had to fix on chip level or start to measure amps, voltages, and ohm. Here I HAVE to learn this help people in a very delicate situation and nobody else is around. The point is, most spare parts are missing. Most people have Macbooks and you can imagine how difficult it is to get a replacement part in a country, where Windows hardware is around but rarely Macs. Most problems here are pretty simple: humidity and moisture shuts down the systems, when I open up the macbooks it floded with dirt and so a simple cleaning is mostly the remedy. I could get a dry box here and an industrial peltier element from a friend. So I could make a kind of dehumidifier which really helps a lot with all this water problems here. With my last money I ordered tools from Amazon India if they were available. Soldering station, hot airgun station, a set of shitty but fittiing screw drivers, electronic cleaner and isopropyl and a didgital micorscope. People sponsor me because I could help 30 Macbooks just with a toothbrush, Isopropyl and the drybox in the beginning phase which is only 5 weeks ago. So now everybody here with damaged systems put their full hope in me and partwise I have no fucking idea where to start.
    Anyhow, I made a school for electronics when I was young which gives me a rough idea about the components, soldering and measuring. But this is more than 30 years back in time. I focus on Macbooks first because of the quantity of the Tourist Macbooks here in the area and I am familiar with these laptops from Apple for about 15 years. So can understand perfectly what's going on the user level, upgrade, replace elements. That's easy for me. Now I need to learn to go one level deeper which means measuring, identifying problems on power rails etc.pp. I hope to get support here. My aim is to help people here in a survival situation and not to make benefit on them.
    I guess i speak in the name of 400 trapped in tourists and hope to get as much support as possible from this forum to keep us in contact with the rest of the world and get our chance to escape this nightmare as soon as it is possible.
    International flights are forbidden in India and we have no idea when this will end. Worst case we need to stay until next spring and see how we can survive this.
    That's me, our, story so far. Forgive my wired English. I am a German, so I speak and write Germish :o)

Comment

Hi Everyone ,
      Thanks for giving me access to this wealth of knowledge and experience :-) ..
      best regards.
      guits52

Comment

Hi,

I am in Lancashire UK, ran a tv repair business in 70's, worked for an electronic classical organ company in the 80's, began 21yr IT career in 90's repairing vacuum tape drives and working up to Novell CNE. Now work in data comms configuring firewalls/routers etc.
        Still do repairs and odd projects for friends.

Comment

I've been repairing electronics for three decades with still much to learn :-)

Comment

Hello

Comment

Thank you for granting me an access!

Comment

Old timer !

Hi my name is Mike, i worked approx 40 years in tv repair and retirered as the flat screen tv s were coming out so i joined this forum to learn and get info so i can help my son out with repairing is Sharp LED set, thanks for letting me in the group

Comment

What an amazing site!

Comment

Good day,
                    Thank you for giving me a chance to learn from the Gurus in this forum.
                    Cheers!

Comment

Greetings

HPDMI is giving me trouble trying to update the SN after a flash so looking to find out why.

Comment

I'm a 30 year vet of TV repair working in East Texas. I've enjoyed following posts on here for several years now. Thanks for the support.

Comment

Hello everyone!
                          My name is Dan.
                          Hoping for help with a repair and trying to save money by doing the repair myself with help. Love the satisfaction that comes when I am able to fix something and give it new life.
                          Thanks

Comment

Hello and thanks for letting me in.

Once upon a time i worked at a tv repair service shop.
                            The last 34 years i have been working with industrial automation, faultfinding and repair.

I have electronics and ham radio as an hobby.

Stay safe.

Comment

Hello members, glad I found this forum as I’m repair guy and have ran into my fair share of bad Caps, starting with 62” Mitsubishi Rear Projection TV that was popping Cap’s like popcorn.

I’m a retired Mechanical Engineer, living the dream in Southwest Florida and I’ve always dabbled in electronics. Truth be Told if I had a do over, I’d have gone into Electrical Engineering, but it was the early 70’s and who knew what was coming at us with Gates, Wozniak, and Jobs tinkering in their garages.
                              My Grandkids call me Mr. Fix, a badge of honor, as anytime you can get your Grandchildren to acknowledge your skills, well that’s the best that money can not buy.

What brought me to this site was a search for common failures of a Samsung 52” LCD LN52A850S1FXZA. My wife and I were headed out for our weekly Covid grocery shopping and on the curb side was this TV setting there with the sun glowing on it. I slowed and My said don’t you dare....... well when I’m dared I act. I put it in the back of SUV and I have a new project. Once fixed it will be a great gaming TV for the Grandkids.

Anyway can’t wait to start searching this site for info and other members knowledge base. I’m at ground zero and once I’ve taken time to investigate the TV I know I’ll have questions for you fellow Mr. Fix It’s.

I’ve fixed two other LCD’s so feel confident this is a board or component failure, screen looks good no impact points.

To Admin thanks for accepting me in the the Forum! Stay Safe
                              Dale Parker

Comment

Hi everyone! Just joined, and have to say, I have a lot to learn about electronics repairs. I am fairly knowledgeable when it comes to computers though, so I may be able to help some on that front. I also do a lot of work with A/V setups, and what with the COVID 19 bug being out there, I’ve e been installing quite a few online learning setups for ballet studios and small educational institutions like barber colleges, and massage schools...

Comment

Hi Guy's and Gal's
                                  I am from North Yorkshire in England, I sort of started tinkering with electronics prob about 40 years ago and still going strong ! .
                                  Am a mad DIY guy, will try and fix anything to stop it going to land fill, I currently among other things get broken/not working household electric/electronic items and try to fix them, have a steady stream coming in , from a local neighbourhood forum, the ones I fix without spending money I take to a local charity shop to be re-cycled, love doing it , my last ( oh yes) was a worktop auto ice cube maker, it ended up being just a simple micro switch stuck in , changed that for one I had and another one saved from the landfill , I could go on ! .

Anyway Guys n Gal's thanks for letting me join your Forum.

Spike

Comment

Just to add to my welcome post just now , I also started life with a C64 and a 1541 floppy drive and a seiko dot matrix printer, I think at the time they each cost around £200 each , was working in Saudi Arabia at the time so had plenty of dosh .

Comment

Hi! I am a 28-year-old young man who has always liked electronics and computers. I just got to know this forum which is very good!
                                      Also forgive me my English ... this forum will also help me to improve my English

Greetings from Spain!

Comment

Hello,
                                        soooo, I spilled coffee on my macbook pro with touch bar... Now I know what ISL9239 is, why I need good hot air soldering station and where to get all that useful info needed not to spoil my beloved motherboard.
                                        I'm not new to electronics as a hobbyist, I have repaired bunch of different things for myself, but macbook motherboard is something out of space odyssey opera, so we'll see where it will get me to.

Cheers!
                                        Domas

Comment

Hello, I'm from Brazil, repairing motherboards since the leaking caps avalanche more than a decade ago.

Comment

Working...
                                          X