Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These are Sacon FZs right? *sigh*

Hi everyone,

I have a Dell Dimension 8100 that I use as my ghetto-htpc. That's right, Pentium 4 1.3GHz with 384MB RDRAM and 256MB GeForce FX5500. AWESOME! I know. No need for compliments. It's only going to a 480p TV so no need to go overboard.

Anyway, I bought a new graphics card for it around 5-6 years ago now. It was an EVGA FX5500 that replaced it's GeForce MX400 (or something).

I opened it up today, and from the side, all I could see were capacitors that looked like solid polymers. Giddy with joy, I decided to take out the card and take a look...To my dismay, they had K-Vents.

So, I think they are Sacon FZ and I posted on another thread that they were...but I've seen caps that actually start with FZ are definitely weren't Sacons. The K-Vent on the top makes me think that they are though.

Also, on a side note, the board actually has surface mount solder pads as well as holes. Not going to analyze it, just observing. There's also one other capacitor made by Evercon. Yuck.

So, pictures are attached. Is that them? Should I recap?

Thanks.
    Attached Files

Re: These are Sacon FZs right? *sigh*

You can get a better card to replace it cheaper than recapping that one unless you already have everything you need.

Comment

yup, those are FZ's. that card's days are numbered if its not recapped. As for recapping it costing more to replace, I'd beg to differ there....I've recapped tons of things older and slower than that.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

A Nichicon HN 1000uF 16V is $0.58. That's only about $6 total...

Anyway, FX5500 is quite fine for me. This is an AGP card we're talking about...So there's nothing too good out there anyway.

I think I'll try a recap. Nichicon HNs are cool, right?

Comment

I see Nvidia 5600 - 6600 AGP cards on Ebay for under $10 alot. And im sure there are AtI cards that are just as cheap that own a FX5500. Why spend even $6 for a Fx5000 when you can spend $10 and get a card that is x2 better.
          Last edited by brethin; 03-19-2011, 10:35 PM. Reason: .

Comment

Originally posted by TheLaw View Post
            I think I'll try a recap. Nichicon HNs are cool, right?
            HN's will work fine, but you can go with HMs or Rubycon MBZ too. Those FZs are plain crap. Anything is going to be an upgrade over them.

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
              I see Nvidia 5600 - 6600 AGP cards on Ebay for under $10 alot. And im sure there are AtI cards that are just as cheap that own a FX5500. Why spend even $6 for a Fx5000 when you can spend $10 and get a card that is x2 better.
              Because I find enjoyment in fixing things.

Comment

I almost completely forgot about this. My interest is renewed.

If I wanted to try poly-modding...

Is there any rule of thumb associated with Sacon FZ. FZ are essentially just plan electrolytics so....All the FZ on this card are 1000uF 16V. Do I still do half the capacitance? Or 3/4 capacitance?

I suppose this would be a good opportunity to give polymodding a chance since if it fails, all I have to do is eBay a new (old) card for $20.

Thanks.

Comment

Screw it. No way I'm getting 1000uF 16V polymers.

Comment

fire it up and measure across each cap.bet the highest voltage on it is +5

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                      Good point. I'll try that...even then...Polys are barely worth it.

Comment

Wow you're right.

The highest voltage was 5V..and only one of the caps had 5V on it.

The majority were. 3.3V, 2.5V, and like 1.5V.

Since they aren't on the vCore of the CPU, should I try using the same capacitance? They are all the same capacitance, which leads me to believe that the value isn't even critical.
                        Last edited by TheLaw; 08-10-2011, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Poly aren't so expensive anymore.
                          http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...JvD1BKiPrc0%3d
                          Mann-Made Global Warming.
                          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                          -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                            I was just looking at those. However, they are not stocked. They have some Chemi-con PS, but for $1.70 each, which would make the entire venture about $15-17 with shipping. Yes, at that point, might as well get a card.

Let's see what Digikey has.

Edit: ooo yay. Digikey has them for $0.80. I like Digikey's shipping prices better anyway.

By the way...I know you can't know 100%, but do you think those would work?
                            Last edited by TheLaw; 08-10-2011, 08:22 PM.

Comment

To replace 1000uF yes.
                              Check the diameter...

-
                              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                              -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                                To replace 1000uF yes.
                                Check the diameter...
                                Alright thanks.

Just ordered 1GB of Ram Disk memory for this machine

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=79
                                  these are fine for all but the one on +5.
                                  https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=46
                                  on +5.
                                  may as well get others to have on hand.since shipping is flatrate.

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=79
                                    these are fine for all but the one on +5.
                                    https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=46
                                    on +5.
                                    may as well get others to have on hand.since shipping is flatrate.
                                    I need 1000uF caps...

Comment

The impedance on the current FZs as per the datasheet are 0.022ohm. The polys I'm getting would be 0.007ohm. Is that too much of a difference?

Comment

Dunno, but don't think so based on what people have tried that worked.
                                        I don't do anything that is demanding on video so I get low end cards from Jaton.
                                        Jaton uses mostly Samxon and Sanyo caps.
                                        They just work.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        -

Comment

Working...
                                        X