i7 920 SMD capacitors/resistors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i7 920 SMD capacitors/resistors

I bought a i7 from a overclock.net forum member a while back back. I originally received it broken even though seller advertised working. It probably was working except that the seller just shipped it with no protection inside a USPS flat rate envelope along with 6gb DDR3 ram that I bought as a bundle. I have tried to reach a settlement with the seller but to no avail and now I am stuck with it and have to try and fix it.

The bottom side capacitors along with some what I assume are resistors are broken

anyone ever re-solder on those caps/resistors and know what the values of them are? Don't suppose anyone can tell me what they are to begin with?

Re: i7 920 SMD capacitors/resistors

i have an i7 box here i can look at.pics not good enough for part id but i see the scratches in the pads as well as busted up parts.try a camera with good macro.
    dont feel bad about idiots.
    had a hard drive arrive for data recovery in one of those usps plastic bag mailers.it was trashed and added a lot to the cost.what was a simple logical recovery became a head stack swap with the cost of a donor drive and lots of time.
    hope you dinged the sellers heatware,ect over this!

Comment

Did you recover the missing part from the bag?
      If there wasn't one there it was probably broke to start with.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Maybe you can make a thread on another forum looking for someone who has a i7 they haven't installed yet, and also has a multimeter...see if they can measure it for you.

Not sure. It appears to be an MLCC capacitor.

Comment

Appears to be a mirror image of the other side so the parts on the side that still has the parts should be the same as what's missing.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by PCBONEZ; 07-28-2011, 04:53 PM.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by TheLaw View Post
            Not sure. It appears to be an MLCC capacitor.
            Agree

-

- Dr Seuss
            -
            -

Comment

I bought 4 i3 with the same problem. I'll be measuring values soon.
              sig files are for morons

Comment

Does it still work? Someone here broke two of them off and it still works, although he says the 930 became a 920:
                http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=679457&mpage=1

Maybe Intel sets the multiplier, voltage, and other things using different values of these

My other guess is that they're for bus termination.

Comment

If you have a multimeter, this will probably be easy. As PCBONEZ said, it's most likely a mirror image. So take your multimeter, and take some measurements on the other side, and then take the corresponding mirror part's value. Do that a for a a couple of them, and if they all seem to match...then I think it would be safe to say that you can replace the missing ones with the mirror part.

There are a lot of SMD packages. I'm not sure exactly what size those are, but you can find out by simply measuring the distance between the two solder pads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface...#Package_sizes

Then you can order the parts off Mouser or Digikey and solder it up. As I said, I believe they are multilayer conformly coated coated ceramics (MLCC). Try to get ones with a temperature coefficient of NP0 or atleast X7R. NP0/C0G is preferred.

Comment

Intel like to use 22uF MLCC either on the processor or in the socket to filter high frequency EMI [higher freq than ripple] out of Vcore voltage.
                    -
                    As there are 20 of them that's my guess as to what they are.
                    -
                    If I'm right they will be in parallel and across Vcore.
                    Fine a Vcore pad and a ground pad on the CPU pinout.
                    If I'm right one solder pad will be in common with Vcore and the other in common with ground.

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

this makes me cry, as I love my 920 to death

remember there are 2 versions of the 920 D0 and D1, D1 is more overclockable, and might have different smd values, but I doubt it, just sayin'

I have a D0, barely OC'd to 4ghz, any higher it would be to hot, or unstable, and this is with a CM V8

if you get this fixed, you'll love it, easily OC to 4ghz+ on air and the stock HS (only if its a D1)
                      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

hmm.... so far what you guys have said have been quite helpful but I still don't know what the thin~ish capacitor is called

edit: a quick search revealed that it is a thin type MLCC!!! now to get a capacitance measuring multimeter
                        Last edited by Proxyep; 07-29-2011, 01:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Proxyep View Post
                          hmm.... so far what you guys have said have been quite helpful but I still don't know what the thin~ish capacitor is called

edit: a quick search revealed that it is a thin type MLCC!!! now to get a capacitance measuring multimeter
                          I don't know how much you want to spend, but you're not going to spend too much less than this at any hardware store or electronics store. All of those are typically kind of...junky.

This is a great meter: http://www.amazon.com/Extech-MN26T-A...57463&sr=1-181

You might find it useful in the future aswell.

Comment

hey sorry for dragging this tread up but how to I find the voltage value for a SMD cap?

also aside from the predicted 22 uF values there were some 13.9 UF values, namely the one on the top right hand corner one, can anyone else confirm they get 13.9uF or about there or is that one gone FUBAR?

also what is the technical name for the slim type capacitor, LICC?
                            Last edited by Proxyep; 08-19-2011, 07:58 PM.

Comment

hey sorry for dragging this tread up but how to I find the voltage value for a SMD cap?
                              Rating should handle at least the max Vcore voltage for that socket type.
                              No mobo should be sending more than the to the socket.

also aside from the predicted 22 uF values there were some 13.9 UF values, namely the one on the top right hand corner one, can anyone else confirm they get 13.9uF or about there or is that one gone FUBAR?
                              14uF is a standard value. That's probably what it is.
                              Standard values go 12uF, 14uF, 15uF - from what I can tell.

also what is the technical name for the slim type capacitor, LICC?
                              LICC is an MLCC with the solder area on on the long side.
                              ... If that's what you meant.

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                                LICC is an MLCC with the solder area on on the long side.
                                ... If that's what you meant.
                                yeah, any other names for it? I can't seem to find anywhere to buy em

Comment

I think LICC is an unofficial term [so to speak] and you'd look under MLCC for one that happened to be set up sideways like that.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

That idea worked searching Mouser but the largest uF they list for the sideways style is 3.3uF.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

maybe I measured it wrongly and its 1.4 uf?

Comment

Maybe. I dunno your meter.

The only 14uF I could find was way too big and cost something like $13-$14.
                                        http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...35XFup%2FWs%3D

Might also be the wrong scale like nF or pF instead of uF.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        -

Comment

Working...
                                        X