MSI GTX 980ti weird issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI GTX 980ti weird issue

Hi all, I've been having a weird problem lately. I'll try to be as clear as possible and this starts with clearly explaining what caused the problem, so this might be a little long to read but I can't leave out any details.

Years ago I had a cooler master hyper 212 cpu cooler leak from one of its' heatpipes while the pc was running. This 1 drop fell on my 980ti which caused all sorts of green lines to appear on screen. Luckily I was working on it so immediately did a hard shutdown and opened the case to find the cooler leaking.

Apparantly this liquid is corrosive and upon disassembling the card I noticed 2 small SMD resistors (1k Ohm) in the middle of this drop. When trying to clean, 1 of these resistors just came off like it was never even soldered and the other one resisted slightly on one side which caused one of the traces to get a little damaged, but still possible to solder on.

I then left it in its' sorry state thinking this was a goner, and since I didn't have the required skills of soldering etc. Recently I invested a little in some equipment and started improving on the missing skill set.

I also have a faulty MSI 980, so borrowed 2 resistors from that one and soldered them onto the 980ti. Re-installed the heatsink and fans and tried to boot. Which it did, without green lines or anything weird on screen and went into windows just fine on a basic display driver but when installing the nvidia drivers the screen goes black, to never recover, unless in safe mode, or when the drivers are removed. I tried several drivers, old and new, all give the same result. This is on a M2N-E AMD board that's expendable if anything goes wrong. A GTX 260 works flawlessly on that board, with or without drivers installed. So it's clear there's an issue with the 980ti. This setup is powered by a 1200w psu.

But this is where it gets tricky. I also have a B365M-A Intel board with integrated graphics, powered by a 650W psu. If I install the card there, I can't for the life of me get the setting in bios to change from cpu graphics to pcie or peg or whatever, it always resets to cpu graphics. So there does seem to be a problem with the card. But if I boot into windows, device manager finds the 980ti and drivers can be installed for it, the screen doesn't go black as the hdmi cable is still connected to the onboard graphics. If I then reboot and meanwhile switch the cable over to the card, I can't see post screen, not even the windows loading logo with the spinning dots, but all of a sudden my desktop appears and the card seems to be working normally. Even the audio works over hdmi.

I can then even bench it for hours on end and it will never fail, nor overheat. There are no exclamation marks in the device manager, everything seems to be fine and dandy. If I then reboot, the pc keeps acting exactly the same, I never get to see post or windows loading screen so can't get into bios (well I think I can but I can't see anything), it just displays the desktop when windows is loaded. And the card then works flawlessly. I can even overclock it.. But if I transfer it back to the AMD board, it displays everything it isn't showing on the intel board, like the post and windows loading screens, but then the screen goes black when windows is loaded, which is exactly the opposite.

I can't figure out why it's doing this and I don't want to toss it as it's clearly working flawlessly when properly installed, so if anyone has an idea where to look, please enlighten me..

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by ushi; 06-04-2021, 10:55 AM. Reason: more details..

Re: MSI GTX 980ti weird issue

Couple of questions-

Do you have any pictures of the resistors?
    Did you get the value of the resistors from the damaged ones?

My thought is to check the board view to see the components connected to those resistors.

Comment

Originally posted by OIFxGunner View Post
      Couple of questions-

Do you have any pictures of the resistors?
      Did you get the value of the resistors from the damaged ones?

My thought is to check the board view to see the components connected to those resistors.
      Sorry for the delay. I sort of forgot about this thread as the card is still working as described in the opening post..

Unfortunately those resistors came off years ago and i don't have any pics. I can however take pics of the resistors I used now, which have the same dimensions but there aren't any markings on them, they're just too small for that. The ones I used now are 1K resistors from the same brand card manufacturer as the other one, which has the exact same power supply/vrm.

I also didn't get the value from the old ones, sorry. They disappeared too quickly for that.

I've been trying to find such a board view, if that's a diagram? As following the traces on the card itself is nearly impossible as it's a black pcb..

Thanks for your input!
      Last edited by ushi; 08-11-2021, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by taxxin View Post
        see if you can pull the bios off it from GPUZ and compare it to a good bios, see if its matching or corrupted.
        I believe I've reflashed it with a known good bios from techpowerup as it had a modded bios for a little more volts but will check again to confirm. I've read somewhere that the newer nvidia drivers sometimes cause old 'modded-bios' cards to appear as faulty so will definitely check that and get back to you.

Thanks for your input!

Comment

The bios is stock so no luck there..

Comment

Working...
          X