Printer smoke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printer smoke?

Wasn't sure where to put this thread but anyway....

I got a new printer to replace my aging Laserjet 5L which can't even pull paper down the tray properly anymore. The new one I purchased today is a HP Laserjet P1005 for $85 which is very cheap for a laser printer, but I am happy with it.

Um. it works, but there is one problem....

Everytime I print something I see smoke coming out along with the paper it has just printed. The smoke is a grey white and doesn't smell like burning electronics, but a funky shallow smell. It probably isn't a good thing to do in smelling this gas, but hey I'm okay for now.

I don't know if this has anything to do with my mistake of not removing some plastic protector bits over the toner roller and electric connectors to the printer board before stating it up for the first time, then printing only to find nothing came out!.... do you guys think that did any damage?

But still I want to know what that white/grey smoke is.... but one good thing is that it is printing papers really well so that's a start I suppose.

Thanks.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: Printer smoke?

The fuser needs replacement.

An aroma will always be emitted during fusing. Non oem cartridges seem to stink more IMO. Not to mention the toner flaked off the paper when I tried third party once so I stay away from them. There will always be an aroma during fusing if you're close enough. But visible smoke is a no no.

Larger laser printers have fuser modules to make replacement easier. Smaller consumer grade models require disassembly.

Laser printers require maintenance. They're meant to be maintained not just thrown away like inkjets. I just replaced the transfer roller, paper pick up roller, and separator pad on mine.

This printer is used right?
    Last edited by Krankshaft; 05-26-2009, 08:14 AM.
    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Ahh I see. This printer is so cheap that it doesn't have a cooling fan for the fuser.

It's probably steam due to no forced air cooling.

Check out this link your printer uses the same engine.

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/...04349+28353475

Either deal with it or buy a good used higher end model.

My two HP 1200s have been chugging since 2001 with over 50k on the clock each just 1 set of the above parts kept them going. Original fuser on both.
      Last edited by Krankshaft; 05-26-2009, 08:27 AM.
      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Probably took some of that plastic in and melted it across the fuser roller. Lucky it didn't smoke you out or just plain catch on fire...
        Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

no i think that would affect the print
          capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft
            Either deal with it or buy a good used higher end model.
            I'll probably have to deal with this smoke because I can't afford anything more decent with the monetary supplies I have unfortunately.
            Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Laser printers go cheap here, you can buy one at the thrift store. I wish I could afford laser color, those aren't cheap yet.

Comment

with all that smoke, i guess the "easy bake" logo was missing

my family's to cheap to buy a laser

save up for one with a fan or wire a 12v wall wart to an old power supply/case fan or buy a hose fan and use that (zip tie small fans if necessary)

at least its an hp and not a lexmark
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210
                  Wasn't sure where to put this thread but anyway....

I got a new printer to replace my aging Laserjet 5L which can't even pull paper down the tray properly anymore. The new one I purchased today is a HP Laserjet P1005 for $85 which is very cheap for a laser printer, but I am happy with it.

Um. it works, but there is one problem....

Everytime I print something I see smoke coming out along with the paper it has just printed. The smoke is a grey white and doesn't smell like burning electronics, but a funky shallow smell. It probably isn't a good thing to do in smelling this gas, but hey I'm okay for now.

I don't know if this has anything to do with my mistake of not removing some plastic protector bits over the toner roller and electric connectors to the printer board before stating it up for the first time, then printing only to find nothing came out!.... do you guys think that did any damage?

But still I want to know what that white/grey smoke is.... but one good thing is that it is printing papers really well so that's a start I suppose.

Thanks.
                  stevo1210

Can you take this back to the store and exchange for another one?

Also make sure the paper you are using are dry. How's the humidity there?

Comment

Originally posted by lucky13
                    stevo1210

Can you take this back to the store and exchange for another one?

Also make sure the paper you are using are dry. How's the humidity there?
                    Many other people on the internet seem to report the same smoke issue as me so I don't think I'm an isolated case. The paper I use is dry and not moist or wet. The weather here is kinda ick right now.... very cold and cloudy at times but not raining.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                      myths about the eee pc

* eee pcs are slow- this is only true with windows, with linux the thing is unleashed
                      * eee pcs are children's toys- just because the toy store stocks these doesn't mean its a toy; after all, AAA batteries are stocked, yet they aren't toys
                      * you cant be a gamer on an eee pc- with linux with wine, you can run a lot of games without frying atoms
                      * you can't video edit on an eee pc- with linux and Kino, you can

GO linux!!! windows mac as well
                      Bit off topis... but.... I love your sig. It is so true. I love the eeepc and various other Netbooks which run Linux. Unfortunately I bought a netbook with WIndows XP, but it's ok for me I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                      X