Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer Aspire E5-773G doesn't turn on, CPU gets hot

Hello,
    first of all, this is my first post, so I apologize for any errors in advance!

I have a Acer Aspire E5-773G lying around that died suddenly from one day to another.

First it would hardly post and get an image and shortly after it didn't post at all anymore. However, the CPU gets hot as soon as I turn it on.
    The notebook turns on for half a second, off for 1-2 seconds and then on again by itself, keyboard backlight comes on, but no image at all. If I leave it on for a couple of minutes, it gets hot to the point where the fan begins to spin.

I bought the schematics and the boardview and since I have never ever EVER read any schematics on my own before, I was kinda lost, but found my way through.

What I've checked and did:
    - 19V power rail from AC charger OK
    - 5V power rail to USB ports OK
    - 3.3V rail gets high as soon as the PC turns on
    - 1D5V_VGA_S0 gets 1.53V as soon as on
    - 1V_VGA_CORE_S0 gets 0.8V as soon as on
    - Known working RAM
    - Erased and then flashed BIOS chip with latest version, verified after (Unsoldered and flashed with an RPi and flashrom)
    - U2402 pin PCH_PWROK gets 3.28V as soon as on
    - U2402 pin SYS_PWROK gets 3.28V as soon as on

The only thing that I noticed that 1V_VCCGT has *almost* a short on my multimeter. Getting a DC-DC converter, adjusting it at 1V, soldering it on the 1V_VCCGT rail and powering it makes it consume 1.4A according to my multimeter. No element gets hot on the PCB, CPU gets only slightly warm. Heating the CPU up artificially with the heating gun increases the current draw to as high as 3.5A (relative to the temperature).
    What led me to believe that 1V_VCCGT isn't the issue, was a thread on another forum from another Acer notebook that said that he had a short on this rail, but then followed up saying that he fixed it by reflashing the BIOS and changing the RAM.

Another curious thing is that 1V_VGA_CORE_S0 only gets 0.8V and get quite warm when the PC is "trying" to power up. The dedicated GPU does not get hot. In fact, I tapped the whole board with my hands and only the CPU and some inductors get warm.

I'm really out of ideas. If anyone has an idea, I would be very glad.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Fusseldieb; 06-05-2020, 12:23 PM.

Re: Acer Aspire E5-773G doesn't turn on, CPU gets hot

Upload the Schematic or further check up ,you have to test with a working bin ,May be Bios !
    Test for DRAMRST
    Last edited by Techtiger; 06-05-2020, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the response!

Attached are the schematics and the boardview. Sorry I didn't do that earlier.

I believe I'm doing a massive favor to a lot of people right now, since I paid $15 for those things lol

The BIOS is flashed and has been inspected with the HEX editor to begin and end at the right sections (Compared with other files). What led me to believe it isn't the BIOS chip is that before flashing it did exactly the same behaviour. Without chip the notebook turns on quickly and off again, on, off, on, off... (Just wanted to see what will happen), and after placing the flashed chip on the board, the same behaviour as before continues: Notebook turns on for half a second, then off, then on again, stays on and the CPU begins to warm up quickly.

Well, what does DRAMRST do and what should it read?

EDIT: DRAMRST goes from 0.06V after 1-2 seconds to 3.37V.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Fusseldieb; 06-05-2020, 02:52 PM.

Comment

DRAMRST is a signal which indicates RAM is Reset, ie its read by mb. This mb uses DDR3L which runs on 1.35V. So DRAMRST should be 1.35V and cant be 3.3V. Check your measurement again.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
          DRAMRST is a signal which indicates RAM is Reset, ie its read by mb. This mb uses DDR3L which runs on 1.35V. So DRAMRST should be 1.35V and cant be 3.3V. Check your measurement again.
          Oh, I messed up. It's indeed 1.37V, not 3.37V. Sorry. I just measured it again.

Which is the next logical step to follow?
          Last edited by Fusseldieb; 06-06-2020, 03:16 AM.

Comment

page 40 RUN power Sequence voltage are correct ? after find the PLT_RST#
            Last edited by Techtiger; 06-06-2020, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Do check as suggested by @techtiger but i doubt its bad GPU.

Comment

assuming it's faulty GPU suggested by ( mcplslg123@) then PL8601 voltage ? left up PL8601 one pad & see if the MB power up , make sure 3D3V_RTC_AUX if ok

Comment

Originally posted by techtiger View Post
                  page 40 RUN power Sequence voltage are correct ? after find the PLT_RST#
                  assuming it's faulty GPU suggested by ( mcplslg123@) then PL8601 voltage ? left up PL8601 one pad & see if the MB power up , make sure 3D3V_RTC_AUX if ok
                  Thanks for all the replies.

3D3V_RTC_AUX is on 4.04V when off and and 2.94V when on. Suspiciously high/low? Checked three times. Additional note: While it shuts on for a split second and back on by itself, in that timeframe it measures 3.51V.

PLT_RST is 3.34V when board is on.
                  VR_RDY IS 3.34V when board is on.
                  PM_SLP_S3 is 3.35V when board is on.
                  PCH_PWROK is 3.28V when board is on, as mentioned in first post.
                  1D5V_S0_PWRGD is 3.13V when board is on.
                  ALL_SYS_PWRGD is 3.13V when board is on.
                  VR_EN is 3.13V when board is on.
                  5V_S5 gets to 5.14V as soon as board is plugged on AC power.
                  PWR_VDDQ_PG gets 18.38V as soon as board is plugged on AC power.

Without PL8601 on the board it still powers on and does exactly the same behaviour.
                  Last edited by Fusseldieb; 06-06-2020, 05:21 PM.

Comment

PWR_VDDQ_PG is way to high it should be +3.3V

3D3V_RTC_AUX is on 4.04V Suspiciously high

Trace back RTC_RST# near CPU SKYLAKE for 3.3V

Comment

PWR_VDDQ_PG is way to high it should be +3.3V

3D3V_RTC_AUX is on 4.04V Suspiciously high

Trace back RTC_RST# near CPU SKYLAKE for 3.3V
                      Sorry for the longer delay! Took Sunday off

I was measuring the wrong neighboor pin which is PWR_VDDQ_TON (He gets 18.38V when on and 1.10V when off). Sorry about that. The right one is unpopulated right next to it and I missed it.

PWR_VDDQ_PG measures 0.40V when on.

Additionally I checked (not sure if related, but on same chip):
                      3D3V_S5 (pin above on same unpopulated component) measures 3.35V when on.
                      PWR_VDDQ_EN 3.35V when on.
                      PWR_VTT_EN 3.28V when on.
                      DDR_PG_OUT 3.35V when on.
                      PWR_VDDQ_VDDQ 1.38V when on.
                      PWR_VDDQ_VTTREF 0.68V when on.
                      PWR_VDDQ_VTT 0.68V when on.
                      PWR_VDDQ_VLDOIN 1.38V when on.
                      PWR_VDDQ_BOOT 4.67V when off and 6.41V when on.
                      PWR_VDDQ_HG 1.41V when on.
                      PWR_VDDQ_PH 1.38V when on.
                      PWR_VDDQ_LG 0.37V when on.
                      PWR_VDDQ_CS 1.57V when on.
                      PWR_VDDQ_VDD 5.14V when off and 5.12V when on.
                      PWR_VDDQ_VID 5.14V when off and 5.12V when on.

3D3V_RTC_AUX it indeed is high, I guess. Measured on PR4301 (again) just to confirm. 4.04V when off and 2.94V when on.

RTC_RST has 4.02V on RN1601 pin 3 when off and 2.94V when on. Double checked. Nearest that I could find - under the CPU/on the other side of the board.

Any clue on what might be going on?

Thanks for your time!
                      Last edited by Fusseldieb; 06-08-2020, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Bump. Does anyone have an idea?

Comment

Check BI_RST page 43 in the schematic,it must be pressed in by the base cover ,the screws in that area sometimes work loose.
                          Last edited by SMDFlea; 06-17-2020, 09:00 AM.
                          All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
                            Check BI_RST page 43 in the schematic,it must be pressed in by the base cover ,the screws in that area sometimes work loose.
                            WOW! I'm so confused right now.

The BI_RST button has no counterpart on the mainboard, it's just a hole and on the outter side near the hole is a symbol with a battery half inserted. My guess it's BIOS RESET?

Well, I held it down and powered the machine up, and to my ENORMOUS surprise, it started up, the Acer logo appeared and then the obvious "No bootable device found".

This was while I was still bridging 3.3V S0 to S5 and 5V S0 to S5, as it was suggested in a PM that I received.

I then removed these bridges, turned it on and it still booted successfully.

I now assembled the entire notebook (without screws) and tried it again. It booted up exactly once, and now it's dead again. I then tried poking a tiny cable through the hole to press that exact button and tried to turn it on. Nothing...

I'm confused. Do you have any idea?

And thank you!!!

EDIT: New discovery! Without the internal Li-Ion battery and holding the BI_RST down, it powers up! What the heck?

EDIT2: Nvm, worked exactly once. Now it's dead again. Inconsistent behaviour?

EDIT3: I forgot about it and tried again after about 1hour, I just powered it on and it booted up again. This time battery was not connected and the CMOS battery was not inserted, but AC power was applied the whole time while I was away. I did some Ctrl+Alt+Delete to reboot to see if it would boot again and it did without a problem, but as soon as I held the power button to shut it off so it did and did not come back after trying to cold boot it.

That's what I call from now on a Zombie Motherboard.

EDIT4: Yep, letting it sit for a while on AC power and then powering it up holding the BI_RST it boots. Why? Idk.

EDIT5: I tried to enter BIOS while it was finally powering up and it did enter. It showed me the first tab of the BIOS, but I couldn't navigate, it was stuck. I then did a Ctrl+Alt+Delete, it resetted and was dead again.
                            Last edited by Fusseldieb; 06-17-2020, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Sorry about a new post, but the old one locked the EDIT feature (time ran out?).

Anyways... I now waited a couple of minutes and tried it again holding the button. It did power up, I entered the BIOS and it did so. I'm now inside the BIOS and can navigate this time without a problem.
                              Fearing the board has some cracked connections I flexed the notebook to see if it would freeze up. It didn't. Still navigates fine inside the BIOS. Then I tapped it multiple times with a little bit of force, no issues. Still works fine.

The last attempt to enter the BIOS and it feeezing reminds me of the last day of this notebook. It froze while trying to boot into Windows. The spinning dots would freeze up and that was it. After that it was dead.

The RAM module is not the same as I was using the last time it worked, so I can exclude the RAM module itself.

Comment

Bump.

Would love to have this notebook going again

Comment

Post your bios in the "Bios requests" sub-forum for fixing,it might be corrupt.
                                  All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
                                    Post your bios in the "Bios requests" sub-forum for fixing,it might be corrupt.
                                    I already erased the chip and reflashed the BIOS. What else could it be?

Comment

Bump!

Comment

do you have your original bios dump? that windows freeze sems like a bad gpu driver , bios device code or something similar.

also make sure bios is setup to uefi mode and sata in ahci.

Comment

Working...
                                        X