Wireless Router only works 'Wired'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Router only works 'Wired'

I've been reading the forum and wondered why this was so common, especially with Linksys products, but with others as well. Is this a common failure mode, or is it just me? If it's as common as I've found it to be, is there a common failure point, or are there multiple issues with different routers?

For instance, I've had at least four Linksys routers, obtained from various sources, which failed to connect wirelessly, but which worked fine from the ethernet ports. Is Linksys unreliable, did I get bad ones (probable, considering my usual 'thrift store' acquisition technique), or is it just that they are so common that my scrounging finds them most often? Conversely, I've seen a couple work flawlessly for years.

To reiterate; many routers I have obtained work 'wired' but will not connect via wifi. Almost always the router is visible on the air, and will apparently connect to a remote computer, but will not pass data. I've had professionals come in (as a favor) and in vain try everything possible to make a connection...cloning MAC addresses, different modes of connection, flashing BIOS etc.

Some have failed after working for a time, others were obtained used and probably didn't work when I got them; while others were defective--brand new--right out of the box...various brands and models, but most often Linksys (although I've never had a brand-new Linksys fail out of box).
    Last edited by jakdedert; 02-14-2011, 11:41 AM.

Re: Wireless Router only works 'Wired'

Well, take one apart where the wifi doesn't work and post a clear focused pictures using the manage attachments button and please do not post inline.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

My 1.5 year-old Linksys WRT54GL did this last week. Wired side okay and no wireless. Unplugged the router for 15 minutes and it cleared itself up. I have a set of Panasonic FC's waiting to be installed if it acts up again. It has crap caps in it, waiting for a good time to change them out.
      Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
        Well, take one apart where the wifi doesn't work and post a clear focused pictures using the manage attachments button and please do not post inline.
        Thank you. This was more a general discussion question than a direct call for help, although I will eventually do as you ask. It seems odd that I keep having the same symptom across a variety of routers. Right now, using a Belkin that has been reliable after a BIOS upgrade.

No reason to have two (the others were scrapped) defective Linksys routers--as well a couple other brands--laying around. Someone could probably use them. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by jakdedert View Post
          I've been reading the forum and wondered why this was so common, especially with Linksys products, but with others as well. Is this a common failure mode, or is it just me? If it's as common as I've found it to be, is there a common failure point, or are there multiple issues with different routers?

For instance, I've had at least four Linksys routers, obtained from various sources, which failed to connect wirelessly, but which worked fine from the ethernet ports. Is Linksys unreliable, did I get bad ones (probable, considering my usual 'thrift store' acquisition technique), or is it just that they are so common that my scrounging finds them most often? Conversely, I've seen a couple work flawlessly for years.

To reiterate; many routers I have obtained work 'wired' but will not connect via wifi. Almost always the router is visible on the air, and will apparently connect to a remote computer, but will not pass data. I've had professionals come in (as a favor) and in vain try everything possible to make a connection...cloning MAC addresses, different modes of connection, flashing BIOS etc.

Some have failed after working for a time, others were obtained used and probably didn't work when I got them; while others were defective--brand new--right out of the box...various brands and models, but most often Linksys (although I've never had a brand-new Linksys fail out of box).
          If your wireless is failing the 1st thing to try is changing the channel in the router. Interference is most likely the cause of poor or very limited wireless connection. Do bear in mind that with most house holds now with wireless routers you will get some interference from their routers. I work a lot on installation of networks and the symptons you describe is nearly always resolved by ensuring you have the latest drivers for your wireless device and changing your routers default wireless channel.

Kind Regards

bp1

Comment

Its my belief that linksys uses some crappy algorithm to decide which antenna and thus which radio has the best signal. Try powering up with only one antenna. Or go the route I and a ton of others have and dump the crap firmware for ddwrt or openwrt.

@retiredcaps 9 times out of 10 when I've dealt with this issue it was software. Installing ddwrt cleared it right up and made this router into a decent piece of midrange equipment at rock bottom price.

Comment

My sister had a similar problem, all i did was tilt the antenna a bit so it was sitting in 45 degree angle and never happened after that. This is of course not a solution for everyone, just saying small things can make a huge difference.

I doubt its due to channel, wireless networks are supposed to be able to coexist quite ok, you wont get full speeds but shouldn't disconnect.

Another possibility is interference, like the Belkin HD Powerline adapters for example.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utfUEEhmHYY
              The same guy have a few videos explaining what happens when they are used.
              Last edited by Per Hansson; 08-16-2020, 04:00 AM. Reason: Correct spelling of Belkin

Comment

Probably your first issue is that Linksys is junk...
                But yeah try moving the antennas around.

Comment

Originally posted by moola View Post
                  ...Linksys is junk...

They are the best IMO
                  I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Basic question, but are you sure you have your wireless security settings set correctly on the router? WEP, TKIP, etc.

As previous folks have said, wireless is less relaible than a fixed line and especially if you live in a multi-dwelling environment there will be many routers contending for the 3 channels (1, 6, 11) if you have a 2.4 GHz AP/router. Most default to channel 6 and stay there. If you have 802.11n support than some AP/Routers can use 2 channels. Also, for the co-existence aspect, the 802.11 standards define co-existence mechanisms (CSMA - Listen before talk), but not all AP vendors implement it the same way.

You should be able to play with some of the wireless settings on your AP to see if its an interference or coverage issue. (i.e. you are too far away from the access point).
                    1) Try changing the channel
                    2) Try changing the security settings (both at the router and the client)
                    3) Try fixing the AP transmit power (set it to maximum)
                    4) Disable 802.11n, and use 802.11g

Comment

Originally posted by moola View Post
                      Probably your first issue is that Linksys is junk...
                      Name one brand that is better while not being 10 times more expensive than the old venerable WRT54G series
                      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

+1
                        i do not remember having ANY wrt54g series with hardware issues other than bad caps.and i have had 150+ go through my hands.they get caps,tomato or ddwrt,and i never hear of problems again except 2 that were hit by lightning.
                        Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                        Name one brand that is better while not being 10 times more expensive than the old venerable WRT54G series

Comment

I prefer Netgear. But to each his own.

Comment

Was moola shovenose?

Comment

weirdlookinguy; Topcat seems to think so yes:
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...545#post167550
                              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I suspected it, same type of vague posts that add nothing to the conversation. That guy just will not quit.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                                  +1
                                  i do not remember having ANY wrt54g series with hardware issues other than bad caps.and i have had 150+ go through my hands.they get caps,tomato or ddwrt,and i never hear of problems again except 2 that were hit by lightning.
                                  Caps just wernt big enough to handle the voltage spike or good enough esr. their hardware is so basic I've never had issues with it so I always say software. Ran a city wide wifi off a bunch and never had stability issues after we went ddwrt, other than the white collars scrapping it after we had everything running smooth

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy View Post
                                  Was moola shovenose?
                                  Once a troll always a troll, if it turns out they are the same person

Comment

I use a Westell Modem/Router. It has a home page on the net where I can go to change its wireless settings. Right now I have the wireless side turned off and no antenni installed on it. My new pc has wireless built into it and it hasn't picked up the Westell. I don't know if this is of any help to you but its how my junk works.
                                    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                                    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                                    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                                    Rod Serling

Comment

I flashed my router's firmware (D-Link Di-624, sort of old but works) yesterday and now I'm getting this problem. Ethernet works fine, but internet on wireless drops on a regular basis - my wireless card talks to the router just fine but after about 10 minutes I get no Internet. I usually have to disconnect from the router and then reconnect, in which case it then works for another 10 minutes before Internet again gets dropped. This was not an issue before the firmware flash.

FYI it is not overheating. I've already rigged a heatsink onto the hottest chip on the router's PCB and also over a really hot voltage regulator, and I've rigged an 80mm fan over it. It runs super cool now. No blown caps either.

Comment

Caps blow without bloating too.

Roll back the firmware.
                                        Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                        -

Comment

Working...
                                        X