Gateway FDP1975W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gateway FDP1975W

I've noticed a few folks here have successfully recapped these. I wonder if any of you subsequently had more trouble with them. Looking elsewhere on the web, repeat failures seem to be common.

I recapped mine back in June, and it worked fine for several months, then died again. I've yet to go back inside. I hate revisiting old repairs, especially this one, as it turned out to be a pretty mediocre monitor.

Still, I hate throwing anything away, so I'll donate it to my ex-wife's nonprofit if I can make it reliable. So, any experience with repeat failures on these?

Re: Gateway FDP1975W

First question that comes to mind is what brand/series caps did you use as replacements? Using the wrong caps will almost guarantee a near future failure.

Also, many people replace only the caps that looks bulged when they should be replacing ALL the caps.

Comment

I have seen 4 of these monitors, it has been capacitor problems.
      Two of the monitors have had problems with the small start up cap, the one that's most often over looked
      Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

As I recall, I believe I replaced them all, and was pretty careful in my selection from Newark's stock when I ordered. I could have missed something...or possibly should have also replaced the caps on the video board. I have a couple of things in the repair 'Q' ahead of this one (I only get into fixit mode every so often), but I'll report back when I open it up again.

Thanks for the feedback. This must be one of the most active and responsive repair forums on the web. It gives me some hope that this one (among others) will eventually be out the door...and not to the landfill.

Comment

A list of good quality low ESR caps can be found at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2280

Forum members here like Panasonic FR, FM, FC, Rubycon MCZ, just to name a few.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thank you. I will do that. My question was general, though. Is this a common failure mode?

Comment

Capacitors are a very common failure on monitors, but there are also other things that can fail.
              You did not indicate what kind of problem you're experiencing so it's kind of hard to tell.
              Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Originally posted by alexanna View Post
                Capacitors are a very common failure on monitors, but there are also other things that can fail.
                You did not indicate what kind of problem you’re experiencing so it’s kind of hard to tell.
                Also, you did not tell what did you use (you said you were careful in the selection, but yet you did not give any info).What was the previous failure, and what is the current failure are also important questions.
                So far, none of the units I've repaired have returned to me, except for one that had a lamp failure like 8 months after the recap (was dead before) but that was solved swapping the whole screen from one unit from same user.Besides that.none so far.
                Last edited by EGuevarae; 02-15-2011, 12:01 AM. Reason: Correction of typo
                There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
                • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
                • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
                • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
                • Windows 10 Pro x64
                • GeForce GT1050
                  2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

I'm sorry. That was a reply to another message on another thread. I don't know how I got it mixed up.

Comment

Again, thank you. I will post again when I have the monitor opened and camera set up. I was judging the likelihood of success the 2nd time around. I recall selecting based on ESR, size, temp coef. etc...but not cap brands. Original symptom was much the same as others have experienced.

After recap, eventually it would fail to come out of standby reliably. If the computer was left in a screensave mode (never off), it worked reliably. Eventually, after a power outage, it failed to come on at all. Don't remember the LED states. Will update or start a new thread....

Comment

Originally posted by jakdedert View Post
                      Will update or start a new thread....
                      You just did. Don't start yet another one...
                      There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                      • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
                      • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
                      • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
                      • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
                      • Windows 10 Pro x64
                      • GeForce GT1050
                        2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Working...
                      X