Help. I'm a newbie.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help. I'm a newbie.

Help. Well first off I'm new at the cap replacment thing. I can do and I have do it for 2 motherboards and everything worked out fine. I have a lot of motherboards with what I believe to be cap problems and I will be contacting you guys to discuss purchasing so of your cap kits but what I want to know is how can I truely be sure that the cap is bad. These mobos have a lot of caps and I dont want to replace all of them. That would take forever. Other that the obvious simptoms and visuals how can I be sure how many and which caps are bad. I do have some electronic tools which I dont know really how to use a Tektronix tds 220 scope and a Fluke 867b Graphical MM and several other DMM's. Can these help me point out the baddies?

First of all, I would recommend replacing all caps 1000uF and up, even if you don't think they're bad. If others on the board of same brand and value have gone bad, it's just a matter of time for the rest. Replacing all will eliminate more headaches and aggrivation down the road! It really doesn't take too long to remove and replace a cap, far less than it would take to rip the system down again to correct oversights and goofs...

Honestly, I only break out the oscilloscope when I get a 'tough dog' repair. This is a board that I can't seem to get functioning again by simple methods. If you recap your board and it is still acting funny, thats when you want to get your scope and meters out to check for ripple and other abnormalities.

To be sure of bad cap problems, well if they're bulged and leaking gunk, you can be 100% sure that caps are your troubles. Let us know what boards you are working with, some are known for bad caps and won't show physical faults. Knowing the board might help....

TC
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Well they are IBM Netvista PC's Model 6579, as well as QDI Brillant 1/s mobos and a few are DFI CB61's. Does this help any?

Comment

seems ibm got bit hard by the bad caps.
        seen lots of server boards with cap trouble.

Comment

The IBM 6579s were definitely affected by the badcaps. I work for a company that just had IBM acknowledge this by coming in and replacing about 30 mobos at their cost on a so called "proactive replacement".

Comment

kc8adu : server boards!!!! which ones? i nearly bought an old x series.
            capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Re: Help. I'm a newbie.

Since it's the only mention I see of the DFI CB61's, I have to ask if anyone knows for certain whether they were confirmed, affected by the capacitor plague. I'm close to doing a recap on a CB61, which is used in a Gannomat station, and the PSU, while a 250W, badged only as "KM" "Made in Korea", is equipped with all Nichicon's, and doesn't have a single bloated cap. But every single 8mm cap on the board is toast, even the lonely, 16V cap by the ISA slots!
              Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

Necro a 15 year old thread, why not start a new one?

Comment

I dont need to start a new thread about a board, which relates to only a single post on the entire forum. And since his query as to those specific boards did not get answered, it made sense to just being it up, again in the same thread. I know TC works hard to keep the forums streamlined.
                  Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

Working...
                  X