Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell E5470 short in processor? LA-C831P

Hi all,

Reaching out for any thoughts as I'm stumped.

I have two identical failed laptop motherboards. Both sport an Intel i7-6820hq.

Both boards failed in the same way, just went 'dead' with a smell of burning, not shorting the charger, but the inductors get very hot when plugged in to the laptop power supply.

An obvious failure on both was PU603 (Vishay SIC530 Manual) appearing burnt at the Vin section and Vin showing short to ground.
    Removing PU603 removes that short, but I'm left with a short to ground on the Vswh side which the datasheet calls "Switch node of the power stage". I think that connects to the processor?

I cannot find the short and I've pretty much resigned myself to it being the processor.

The first board I did a poor job at removing PU603 so I have essentially consigned it to scrap and dismantled that bit by bit looking for any changes.
    On that board I have removed:
    PU602, PU605, PU606 (all SIC530), no change.
    A bank of capacitors next to PU604 and PU605 that appeared shorted.
    PU601

No amount of checking/removing surface mount caps or other chips will lead me anywhere close - the problem is seems confined to any section with components labelled x6xx so I think that's all one related circuit. My last thoughts are the capacitors on the rear side under the processor.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Pictures of the second board with only PU603 removed.
    If anyone wants clearer photos of a section, please let me know - I'm struggling with the phone camera.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by seanc; 04-15-2020, 11:54 AM.

Re: Dell E5470 short in processor? LA-C831P

What's the exact resistance to ground where you think there is a short to ground?
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Between gnd and vswh 03.5ohms on the 200 ohms setting - admittedly I've done most of my testing on the 2000 ohms setting where it just shows 003. Happy to be proven wrong, especially if it's because I screwed up the first board.

Comment

It's a little bit on the low side as I usually see 6 ohms on Skylake, but it's most likely not a problem.
        Doesn't mean the CPU is fine since newer CPU rarely survive when something goes wrong on CPU VCore, but it's not shorted.
        OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

I'll replace PU603 on the second board with another new one and see what happens... the first just turned on for a second and then off.

Comment

Replaced PU603 on the second board, same symptoms unfortunately, turns on, then off.

Comment

Originally posted by seanc View Post
              Replaced PU603 on the second board, same symptoms unfortunately, turns on, then off.
              I went over the board again today and noticed that the replacement SIC530 had a ground short on a pin that should have no connectivity.
              I replaced it and a capacitor next to it (it looked tested open circuit, it was) with one from the scrap board, but sadly no change the power light comes on, then almost immediately off, sometimes it stays on a bit longer.

I measured all of the caps under the processor on the reverse of the board and all show ~2.6ohms or higher depending on which side of the processor I measure.

What has changed, is that there is no longer a short across the inductors after p602, 603, 605, 606 - 3.4ohms now.

I suppose the next steps are to look for voltages - what should we expect at PU603?
              Last edited by seanc; 04-18-2020, 07:59 AM.

Comment

You have checked if it is a direct line to the CPU
                Last edited by piernov; 04-18-2020, 04:29 PM. Reason: google translate

Comment

Originally posted by pepegotera454 View Post
                  You have checked if it is a direct line to the CPU
                  I'm unsure of which points to check - any suggestions?

Comment

Did you ever find the problem? I have a very similar board with the same problem. Mine is an LA-C841P with PU602 burnt.

Comment

Nope, still got the 2 dead boards and an number of slightly different donor boards. Hope to try and investigate again when time allows.

Comment

Originally posted by seanc View Post
                        Nope, still got the 2 dead boards and an number of slightly different donor boards. Hope to try and investigate again when time allows.
                        did you find any solution? do you think the cpu is shorted?

Comment

any news regarding this dell baord issue with pu 602 And pu 603

i changed ics after short in charging line but still have power issue only showing white light on power button

Comment

Working...
                          X