Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$20 "500W" PSU From MicroCenter, how bad can it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: $20 "500W" PSU From MicroCenter, how bad can it be?

Can you upgrade capacitors (from 1000uF to at least 2200uF) on the secondary to check how much ripple goes down? 250mV is absurdly high, too much even for quick tests.

Also 220uF on the primary means that, if used on 220V, we would have ~110uF. Way too low even for a 200W power supply.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitto View Post
      Can you upgrade capacitors (from 1000uF to at least 2200uF) on the secondary to check how much ripple goes down? 250mV is absurdly high, too much even for quick tests.

Also 220uF on the primary means that, if used on 220V, we would have ~110uF. Way too low even for a 200W power supply.
      Unfortunately I've already stripped it of parts and disposed of the carcass. If it was a better unit I may have tried that (like I did with the Amazon KDMPower unit). But given how bad this unit is and the lack of clearance around the caps on the secondary side not allowing for much in the way of upgrades I didn't think it was worth the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post

On that note, maybe the PSU above should be overloaded to see what happens. (And filmed, better yet.) Where's C_hegge when we need him, though?
        I miss c hegge

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
          I miss c hegge
          Yeah, a lot of our PSU experts/fellas are gone now, or at least not on BCN anymore is what I mean.

c_hegge, 370forlife, Pentium 4, and probably a few more. I haven't heard from Everell either. Hope everyone is alright, but perhaps not here simply because they're busy with their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
            So how do you like your new toy

How accurate is it and do you have any complaints about the quality of this product or use of this product

I might be interested in buying one for myself

I do have a question for you about the cv setting what does that function really do does it load it to keep it at a certain voltage
            I just bought one for myself the other day and had some time to (test ) play with it and it seems work pretty good on a switching power supply that I had modified to work with out being hooked to a computer

I had posted the story about earlier a new twist on a switching power supply
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
            10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
            6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
            1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
            25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
            6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply
            1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
            2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
            All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Working...
            X