This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

My first projects were putting transistor radios out of their cases and into cigar boxes in the early 1970's and selling them at tobacco shops. Then I joined the military and found out I was colorblind. That nixed my electronics education right quick. Still the passion is there, I just have to find a trustful person to read colors from time to time. While hunting, fishing, wildlife management, and a little farming get in the way; I still find time to fix the occasional LCD or Plasma TV in my 3200 SF ManCave(barn). Which brings me here, with all you Gurus!

Comment

Hi,

The name's Tony.

I joined this forum to try to get some help and resources for repairing a TV that I just recently bought.

Comment

It is nice know each other(members) in this forum so I have got to introduce myself.
        I am an electronics hobbyist who started repairing electronic devices in early 1980s when I was in Secondary School as a student. I got most of the electronics knowledge from school physics books and reverse engineering most of the devices to extract their schematics then functional blocks. I didn't repair or service any equipment without first studying it,understanding its components and how they are interconnected.
        After completing High school in 1993 I joined National Service in 1994 where I was appointed to service and repair army's electrical and electronic equipments. (In our country,it is mandatory for any high school attendant to join the army for predefined period of time after completing their studies.) It is where I used my self- learning knowledge to service almost every electronic /electrical equipment brought in the army's workshop. One day, one officer asked me if I can repair his Home Theatre made in Russia, which according to him, most of of the expert technicians in two different cities had failed to repair it. I told him I could give it a try. Guys,after tracing signal paths,I discovered the problem was only a bunch of BADCAPacitors which were blocking the audio signals.The manufacturer used poor quality capacitors which dried their electrolyte prematurely. I was rewarded an employment opportunity as army's technician which I kicked off after a service period because I wanted to be free to continue with my hobby,anywhere anytime. In 2003 I got access of electronics tutorials and information available online which boosted my knowledge.
        I ran my own workshop in which I repaired all electronic gadgets like VCR,TV,monitor,DVD player,DVB satellite receiver,audio power amplifies etc from 1996 to 2009 when I joined IT studies,after which I got a temporary employment in one of the universities in our city as ICT Technician I but assigned to deal with hardware problems of all institution's electronic equipments like computers and all their peripherals. Since I was dreaming to learn embedded Systems, I quit the job and used a little knowledge of computer programming from IT and electronics from my hobby, to make embedded systems projects like security alarm systems ,digital password lock, modified sinewave inverters etc using C programming language and microcontrollers. I make my projects on home-made PCBs. Programming is hard and requires to pinpoint and concetrate on it if you want things to go smooth, otherwise you will pull off all the hair from your head to debug a program in which you have made a tiny mistake like leaving a space between characters where space is not required or mis-typing cases upper or lower. May be this is happening because I,m still a newbie in the programming industry and I do most of it on self learning basis as a hobby.
        Guys,we humans under the sun, are obliged to learn new things each and every day as all of them change with time,others aging while others emerging. Last week I came across a LG LCD TV with only a main board and BL inverter, each with no connection to each other, no cables,no power supply board, no specification label which bears model number. The main boards jacks' pins are marked with their functions, while the inverter jack pins are not marked. So I was wandering how to connect those boards. I searched on the internet for service manual of LG LCD TVs,and I got few but with no BL inverter schematic included. Today I searched for “LG LCD TV Inverter service manual”. The search machine provided a link to badcaps forum where I found what I wanted, all the explanation of the BL inverter and even their pictures . I was so excited to find what I was looking for so long and eventually found it,so I saw this forum very useful to me and decided to register and become a member of badcaps. Guys, I am happy to join badcaps community where I can share and learn new ideas with other in the field of electronics.
        Thanks
        Veda

Comment

I've read that I have to post a hello in here before I can create my own thread, so here is my hello. (tick)

Comment

Hello, been a memeber of the forum for couple of months, used it for reference and has helped out using the search, need to request help not sure if this is the right place to do so,

I have a Samsung LE37R87BD tv has strange issue, firstly caps on power board was buldging so generall clicking taking 20 mins to turn on. Replaced these and tv powers up straight away as it should, but now Im noticing the text is staying on the screen lighter than at first and slowly goes away, also screen is a little darker than it was before the power issues, I was going to replace the T-con board and possibly thr backlight inverter, was just seeking a little advice before doing so as worst case maybe the panel going and dont wasnt to go to the expense of replacing boards if this is the case.

Thanks in advance of an answer

Comment

Hey guys... I've always been good at taking electronics apart, and knowing what things do, but I figure it's high time that I start learning how to make them work again, too. I look forward to joining the great conversations I've seen on the site. Thanks!

Comment

Hello,
                I've worked with electronics most of my 68 years. Gone from tube radios and TV's, transistor radios, AM/FM radio, 8 track tapes, to all the new stuff. Trying to learn to keep up with the new stuff. Always so much new stuff that I can't keep up. LOL !

Comment

Hello from Italy. When I read the forum's name I thought "This is genius!"

I'm a musician with a passion for electronics. I started playing piano at six and dismantled my first radio at fourteen I got a proper musical training, but I never studied electronics (except for some basic physics notions). That never stopped my curiosity, anyway: sometimes I don't even check the warranty dates (I'm not very proud of it, to be honest...) I work as a professional musician, electronics is just my hobby... but in the past things got mixed sometimes. Long story.

After almost forty years I slightly improved my repairing skills: a recent report says there are more devices repaired than thrashed Anyway, I learned that sometimes it's better to stop and call an expert. Or ask Google, hoping to find a forum like this.

I'm much more confident with analog than digital: I'll try to be helpful in this forum, but I guess I'll take more than I'll be able to give.

Comment

Hey I'm Dabbi, came across this site while trying to troubleshoot my TV. Looks like there are some good ppl who know what they're talking about on here. Look forward to some input.

Comment

Hello, I was referred here buy a business that sell capacitor kits as a place to get more advice on LCD repair. I'm a software programmer by trade and have a very basic understanding of electronics and circuitry (messed with Arduino a bit and have followed plans to make small electronic circuits).

Comment

Hi all
                        My name is Ian I am a retired TV Electronics engineer due to ill health but I now want to get back into things but over the 7yrs resting maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan things have changed lol

Comment

need help with LCD diagnostic. Please read troubleshooting computer display post to help me decipher what is wrong with the monitor. thank you

Comment

Hi,

I am a regular Joe with little experience in electronic or repair work. I just run into some problems with my monitor and hopefully can gain some tips or advice from the more experience folk here. So please help out this Joe troubleshoot my LCD display that I been having. I hate to toss it away to the land dump. Thanks

Comment

hello every one

Comment

well; i have problem with my laptop DELL E-6420

I CAN NOT GET IN;
                                the Secure Manager needs access code or PASSWORD
                                and i forget it .....

the service tag # 4G7SFV1-1D3B

CAN ANY BODY HELP ME? thank you in advance....

Comment

hi all i am gary from leeds uk.just wondering why i can not send threads

Comment

see i have a tv i need some help to get it repaired please

Comment

anybody out their can help why i can can not send threads please

Comment

hello everyone i am gary from leed uk

Comment

Hi everyone I'm Pat from wichita kansas this sight is great!!! full of great information.

Comment

Working...
                                          X