This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi everyone, i'm Rio from Tabanan, Bali - Indonesia.

I'm selling and repairing computers, i'm still a freelance and don't own a store yet. So i do an on site repair mostly.

Usually i only identify which component that has a problem and replace it with a new one.

So fixing a computer component with a bad caps is something new for me. I don't really understand about it but i'm interested to learn about it.

It's good to know and to be a member of this forum and learn from all the pro members here. I needed as much advice as i can get.

Comment

Hello all. I'm a junk hoarder and I've recently started acquiring "broken" monitors and fixing the bad capacitors. I'm about 10/12 now, one was a cracked LCD, one was bad CFL lamps.

I've been giving the fixed monitors away to friends, or flogging them off on Craigslist for cheap. If I knew a good way too connect a matrix of monitors to a VGA or DVI source, I'd be mounting them all on the wall!

Now I've got a TV (Olevia 237-T11), none of the caps seem to be bad but I might as well try replacing them first, though it's possible a firmware update is to blame (shrug).

Comment

Good Day everyone - just registered - I found the site while searching for any repair tips for a LCD monitor I had - GREAT INFO!! - a very personal thanks to those that took a great amount of time and effort to post it here - I joined because of that.

Started off in computors with an 8088 XT in 1996, then jumped to a 386sx after I found a place that was sort of like a graveyard for systems that were pulled from businesses - even paid $250 bux for a 250meg IDE hard drive - that drive went thru a 486dx4-100, Pentium 133, Pentium 166 and then a Pentium 233 before it died - still enjoy running DOS (SETI @ Home)

I would classify myself in no "for sure" way as an experienced techie/systems builder - worked in the graphic arts field for 20yrs, and seeing all the Macs and machines being replaced with embedded computers, I took a chance and jumped ship - self taught in everything from building a computer, to installation and networking of 40+ systems, I thoroughly enjoy what I do - my only downside is that I have no certification papers

Even done the retail sales in a computer store, and helped developed a "personal" style of tech bench - customers could actually sit and watch you work on their systems, chat, ask questions, etc. - they even bought us coffee! LOL

I've always enjoyed electronics, especially with my music - I play guitar and bass guitar in 2 different bands, and always found ways of shifting the sound with a footpedal of some kind, then stumbled on some "how to build" devices that I tried - got hooked at that point and just like Spinal Tap, I have an amp that goes to "11" - this is where I learned about repairing my gear, and it has stuck with me for a lifetime

If I learn something new here, then it's worth it - and if I ask a question, I hope it can be answered, or at least I can find what information I need here

Comment

Hi there everyone out there.
          I'm Phil and I live in a house called yewcroft, hence my name is usually unique on the internet. I live in Wales, thats part of the UK. I've been using the internet for 12 years, but this is the first time I've participated in any forum, so I'm inquisitive, excited and cautious on what I will find.
          My interests are fixing things, anything particularly mechanical, but I gave up on my strimmer recently and passed it onto a local garden machinery company. The problem turned out to be a blown cyclinder gasket. That was after I took the carburettor apart 4 times!
          What makes me join this forum? Well I'm tight for money at the moment and need to fix my Proview monitor. This forum is brilliant and really gets to the knub of things. However I've followed many fix solutions, but haven't solved anything. But I'll leave that until later, when my introduction has been digested by a few authorities.
          I'm a normal guy, 2 daughters now financially independent (hooray) and yes still married after 30+ years.
          I love cars but am too sensible to waste money on them. I think we need 4 cars anyway, so I've just stuck with one.
          So thats it for now, goodness knows what happens next............. I'll just wait and see.
          Keep smiling,
          Philyewcroft

Comment

Hi everyone,

My name is Shawn. I have a Vizio vp50hdtv20a paperweight and found this forum through searching the web.

You guys seem quite helpful and overflowing with information and advice. I'm happy I found the boards.

I am a web developer, have two pugs and live in Florida.

Just wanted to say hi before I posted some images of my DOA Vizio.

Thanks for being here!

-Shawn

Comment

Just a quick intro post in order to gain access to all this forum has to offer. I'm an energy efficiency engineer by trade, with very little electronics training but I'm a hardcore tinkerer at heart and can't resist taking apart broken things to see if I can get them working. Currently working on a Vizio VP50HDTV20A that was given to me with bad PS caps. I replaced those and it fired right up but still has a handful of annoying one-pixel wide vertical lines running the entire height of the screen. Every source I can find says it's either a bad control board, or worse, a bad PDP. I suspect it's more likely another bad cap I haven't found or else simply a weak or damaged ribbon cable connection. This forum looks like it's got a far higher caliber of commenter than even AVS and I'm hoping it's populated by true troubleshooters and problem solvers who understand that warranties do expire but some things are still worth fixing.

Comment

Ha, just noticed the post right above mine is about the exact same TV. Good luck to you with that Shawn...look for a group of five 3300uf electrolytics on the main power board - mine were obviously toasted and total repair time was less than 30 minutes start to finish.

Comment

Hi,

I'm Wilfried from Germany. I've currently a problem with my HP TFT and I need your support. It is worth a try to get an answer to my questions in this nice forum.

Regards
                  Wilfried

Comment

Hello,

I'm from cowboy country Texas. I enjoy repairing stuff around my house. From Google, I happen to stumble on this neat site. Currently I've a problem with my Sceptre X20WG monitor and I find some tips on this forum to be useful. Certainly I'll try out the tips and report back the results!!!

Thanks from Houston, Texas

Comment

Hi guys and gals (if any, really glad when dudettes take interest into "guy" stuff)!

I'm from Serbia, I'm into repairing since I was a kid. Always wanted to know what's inside and how does it work so I'd disassemble toys first and watched my father fixin' many equipment in the house. Washing machine or VCR, hairdryer or stereo... so I developed early interest and he showed me sum stuff. After that i picked-up and started fixin' things on my own. Really simple mostly. Than, few years before finishing high school, I was an apprentice in a small TV/VCR/Audio equipment repair service store. There, I started learning more serious stuff. Unfortunately, I had to say goodbye, because I enrolled to college and had no more time for this. But still, I would repair video game consoles and their joypads mostly. God, making one cable out of 3-4 parts was a killa but where would you find a cable for fake SEGA joypad? The console was fake too, actually, an 8-bit (Super) Nintendo (Chalmers xDDD) I think, but it did it's purpose. After that, a real SEGA, then Sony PS 1 and 2, than PC... Still, I'm not an experienced electronics technician, can't make you any circuits but to recognize and change a damaged component visible with naked eye without fancy equipment, that I can. Thank God for the Internet! And for forums! Of any kind! Well, not really any, but for really useful ones. Like this. So many good advices, so many problems, so many good solutions and guides... It really feels great to be a part of communities like these. Even if somebody doesn't want to join in but just to look for some guidelines.

Thanx again guys and gals, it's really great to be here!

PS. I'm a singer in couple of rock and metal bands, taking singing lessons for 7 years besides my regular studies in Industrial Engineering/Robotics, Mechatronics and Automatics. Thus the nick Japaneese xDDD but here, rockstar2680 (Nickelback's song, no need to quote ;D). Right now I'm working on my master's paper, I'm making a system for remote control and supervision of railway signals and turnouts, it consists of sa HO scale model, sum electronic circuitry (projected and made by a colleague from FTN) and SCADA system for visual supervision and control. It will have manual and automatic mode of operation. Railway modeling is a great hobby, just like repairing electronic thingies.

Greetings from Novi Sad, Serbia

Comment

Hi:

SY from Texas.

Many thanks for the exceptional forum!

Comment

gapi from North GA. Stumbled into her trying to fix a Samsung 215TW.
                          GAPI

Comment

jobi01 AKA Bill Lehr from Bellefonte PA. Once quite active fixing and designing electronics of various kinds. Somewhat out of practice with these new lap tops and flat screen tvs. Unfortunately, the neighbors have decided that I am the local electronics expert after fixing several of their car stereo power amps. Life sure was simpler with tubes. Look for burnt resistors or bulging caps or stick the tubes into the tester.

Comment

hi to all, new member here, from EU-Slo =)

-michel

Comment

Hi guys
                                I'm new to microelectronics repair, did not do much electronics repair either!
                                Have an electronics/scientific background, as well as automation and little programming experience, but likes to repair things instead of trashing.
                                Very much appreciate this forum, helps a lot. Thanks to all of you!
                                Actually having problem with a laptop vrm. No power at all.
                                Cheers.
                                sherwats

Comment

Hello Everyone,

Not sure how I missed this forum, but found it, should prove valuable resource for future, or at least entertainment.
                                  Myself, well I hail from the world of RF, started in '78 with building amps and transmitters, working through that to other things. I built my first computer in '79 from a mail order kit, forget which one it was, there have been so many. Went to college for a couple of years, GE lured me away with an offer to work with microwave towers, so did that, and just kept working from there.
                                  From Sun to Apple, and everything inbetween, I am dedicated to open source now, and moving forward into that ocean.
                                  I fix computers, POS systems, networks, TV's, projectors, and the list goes on, and have been freelance since I was 14. Along the way I have amassed many piles of parts that companies find to expensive to return, and I fix them sometimes, other times I just recycle them to friends to tinker with. In my job it is all replace, replace, replace, in my life it is make the best with what you have.
                                  Lastly but not least, I am a sustainable farmer, trying to provide a good example for others to grow their own and some for their neighbors, provided their neighbors haven't become GMO friendly already.
                                  Thank you, I look forward to the party.

Comment

hello to all members

Comment

Hello im Mike and I am working on a power supply for a tv. Its an AKAI 32'' LCD MODEL #: LCT3285TA. MY PART I AM REPAIRING IS MTA 169B. ANY HELPFULL INFORMATION WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED. MIKE SHOOPMAN

Comment

hola chicos soy de 24 de edad de rep. dominicana. estudio en una isntitucion llamada ifotep en santiago. me va muy bien y estoy aprendiendo muchicimo con ustedes. he aportado algunos de mis conocimientos en algunas de sus preguntas, espero que me ayuden tambien.

Comment

Hi all!

I'm John from France and have just joined to find some help for my freshly broken LCD TV set.

I've seen this forum before and I really find it neat. Nice place to share knowledge, experiences and even learn something new and useful.

I'd like to thank you all in advance for your time and help.

I'll be seeing you around folks,

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                                          X