X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hello everyone,

My names Scott, I live in Cardiff (Wales) UK. I have 20 years experience in the refurbishment industry and just starting to get back into electronics repair (after a 20 year gap in my education lol).

Look forward to speaking to you all!

Comment

Hey everyone. I joined after my plasma TV started having some weird problems and I found a thread describing the problem and fix here.

PM from admin said to post here first.... so I did

Comment

Just saying hello.

Comment

Hello everyone. My name is Joe. I have electronics experience I learned while in the Navy.
          I have very little and crude tools, but I don't really use my electronics experience much these days.

Comment

Hi all. I appreciate the quality information shared on this site.

Comment

Hello guys,
              I am Nash from Mauritius island, I work as BDM for an IT firm. I've joined here at bad caps because I see very useful information here in troubleshooting computer accessories, and a good place to share and acquire knowledge in these related subjects.

Kind regards to you all

Comment

Hi. Rodster here. i'm from tampabay, florida. altho i'm not new to a soldering iron, i don't have tons of experience testing components. My tv goto guy has cancer and is no longer available for help, thus i have joined this site in order to expand my experience and confidence in repairing my own and close friends stuff. Any help and tips would be appreciated and i'll offer whatever help i can. Thank you.

Comment

Hi

I'm Pol from Greece, i found this forum while trying to find a solution about a DELL 7010 which sometimes starts and sometimes not ,i will search all the available posts, even if i'm not able to find out a solution, i will include this site to my favorites because im an alcoholic with the repairs ,and this site is top of its class , im watching it for a long time.
                  thanks a lot for accepting me in this community

Comment

Hey guys, wanted to say thanks for accepting me into this forum. I came here looking for help with a tv I'm repairing, but I never knew you have computer stuff as well. I'll visiting and hopefully contributing a lot.

Thanks again.

Comment

Hi guys, happy to be a part of this. I worked at an electronics repair shop while in high school in the early 90's.

In College I took Electronics/Telecommunications and then Computer Technology and Process Control. Been doing Industrial Automation, Electrical Designing, Industrial IT and many other things.

Looking to get back in to electronics repair (small time stuff). In the last few Months I've restored a Technics SL-1200MK2 Turntable, an LXI AM 4023 Integrated Amplifier, and a Crate B-60 Bass Amp... starting to get the hang of things again.

So I may be asking questions here and there. I usually exhaust all avenues before asking someone for help.

Great reading so far. Looking forward to chatting it up with your guys.

Vin

Comment

Hello! I have been reading few threads. I have a TV that has died and would like to run through some basic troubleshooting. I appreciate the information shared on this site.

Jasin

Comment

Hello,

I have been prowling around the forum for awhile. I have learned quite a bit from this forum, and figured it was time to join. I hope to learn much more. Thanks for all the great information, keep it coming!!!

TC

Comment

Hello, found this excellent site through a search on my dead Tv.
                            Found post on my exact model number.
                            Will be fun checking out all that is available on this site.

Comment

Hi, Mike Van Emmerik from Brisbane, Australia.

I'm an electrical engineer interested in [power electronics for solar energy systems and electric vehicles, among other things. I specialize in Elcon/TC chargers and PIP-4048 (Axpert 5000VA) inverter chargers.

Some threads I've started or contributed heavily to:

http://forums.aeva.asn.au/topic4332_...691.html#53691 (PIP-4048 inverters; I'm Coulomb there)
                              http://forums.aeva.asn.au/weber-and-...980_page1.html (Weber and Coulomb's MX-5, it's really Weber's as he paid for it)
                              http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...air-90162.html Elcon/TC charger troubleshooting and repair
                              http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...ht=elcon+facts Elcon/TC charger firmware changes.

Right now I'm attempting to repair a TC charger, better known as an Elcon charger in the USA I believe. This one blew one pair of MOSFETs in the full bridge, taking out the driver chip, a quad NOR gate, and some gate resistors and diodes. I replaced a few more parts that turned out to be OK.

When I put it back together (a several hour job) and powered it up, it blew up loudly as soon as it started to charge the battery, actually it was probably a little before then as it was getting ready to turn on the output relay. It blew off the source and drain leads of the two MOSFETs, sending some copper snot to the gate lead of the next MOSFET. Having replaced all the relevant semiconductors, and having seen it switching at 50 V with a current limited power supply, it more or less has to be the RD snubbers or the capacitors across the DC bus. I have 3 other dead chargers to compare with (long story, I'm trying to get experience with these; I've repaired two or three successfully), and none of them seems to have brilliant specifications for the electro nearest the MOSFETs. I'm poking about trying to get a feel for what are the good brands to replace the Samyoung capacitor that is nearest the MOSFETs, as this drying out would seem to be the most likely culprit now. Hence registering on badcaps.net. There is a 0.022 uF ceramic capacitor across the bus, but no large film capacitor as I would expect (at least, for higher power converters that I'm used to from a former job). There is also an RD (Resistor Diode) network, and a tiny 220 pF capacitor across the full bridge output (presumably limiting dV/dt). I'll check again, but the diodes seem fine. So that just leaves the big capacitor. It seems to measure OK, but I don't have an ESR meter.

It seems that most of you are into gaming PCs; are any into inverters or chargers or other power converting equipment?

Comment

Dan "Spiffy" Neuman

Musician from Madison, WI

I work on a variety of electronics, particularly vintage stuff (have rebuilt/stored numerous Hammond organs and Leslie speakers) but am brand new to TVs. Just want to avoid throwing superfluous money into our household electronics while learning something.

Married with a 10 year old.

Here's the wife and I

https://www.instagram.com/p/-kGDKVinig/

Here's the babby

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBDr-0HCnla/

Comment

Knowledge seeker is a good term!

Comment

Hi Everyone,
                                    I am Sam from the mighty NZ!! I have use the forums a few times and thought it was about time I joined.
                                    I have a Mechatronics degree.

Comment

Hello everone!

I'm Patrick from Spain. I've an industrial engineering degree, specialized in electronic. I've been months looking for work (Spain, u know...). But finally I'm now helping in the family business (electronics service).

I'm getting much help here, I expect to star helping soon.

Regards

Comment

Hello everyone! Hope this site helps me.

Regards

Comment

Hi,

Just learning how to repair tv's because my Panasonic plasma TH50px500 is now a nice large paper weight.

Cheers,
                                          Marc

Comment

Working...
                                          X