This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

Nice score, Topcat! Those are nice monitors. While it was open did you recap it? I know Dell likes garbage such as Su'scon

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
      Nice score, Topcat! Those are nice monitors. While it was open did you recap it? I know Dell likes garbage such as Su'scon
      Didn't need to, was loaded with UCC....forgot the series, but they weren't KZG or KZJ, which are the problematic ones.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Scored a Cisco (linksys) e2500 for $3... works too. Same as the router I use (only it was like $70 when It was bought). Some rich <female dog> must have gone to AC and dumped this at the goodwill... those morons didn't know what they had!
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
          I see you replaced that Athena power supply too... - good riddance!
          ISO's are decent CWT units, but if it's never been recapped, I suggest you crack it open and possibly even recap it. They often use Fuhjyyu caps.
          Actually, he downgraded quite a bit. See that "Top Silent" sticker on the exhaust fan? That's OEM'd by Topower, one of those insanely overbuilt ones. They also need to be recapped though as they usually use Fuhjyyu or Jenpo. Check out c_hegge's review on the "Global Sapphire" PSU. That's what's in that Athena. Normally, yes Athena sucks
          Edit: same as the global sapphire without the PFC. And it may use the dreaded conductive glue.
          http://hardwareinsights.com/wp/globa...saf450-review/
          Last edited by Pentium4; 05-08-2014, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
            Scored a Cisco (linksys) e2500 for $3... works too. Same as the router I use (only it was like $70 when It was bought). Some rich <female dog> must have gone to AC and dumped this at the goodwill... those morons didn't know what they had!
            nice memory size,
            you can put DD-wrt on that.
            and you probably should if it's got the new "cloud-admin" firmware on it.

what caps are in it?
            i ask because i opened a pair of netgear yesterday - capxon crap in them!
            Last edited by stj; 05-08-2014, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              nice memory size,
              you can put DD-wrt on that.
              and you probably should if it's got the new "cloud-admin" firmware on it.

what caps are in it?
              i ask because i opened a pair of netgear yesterday - capxon crap in them!
              IDK on the caps.

It has tomato like my other e2500... DDWRT doesn't have support for the 5GHZ radio in this unit. Tomato does though.
              sigpic

Comment

Decent day today.

I got:
                Proton AV-300 receiver
                4 LCD monitors
                A couple USB Ethernet adapters
                and a bag of random cables and computer mice.

Also got a 6D Maglight for $2 and a Fluke 52 for $10.

Everything works, no issues.

Comment

That Maglite looks like it was run over by a Mack truck.

Comment

Printer tech retired, so he gave me this Fluke meter! It looks heavily used but works well. Nice meter.

Got this Asus sound card, and replaced all the Lelon RGA with Rubycon ZLG, Mallory SEK, and Chemi-Con KY. Works well!
                    Attached Files

Comment

I have that same ASUS card myself... but I left it stock. I like ASUS cards because they made them both AC'97 and HDA compatible (good if you have an old AC'97 case and have a board w/o sound installed).
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                        I have that same ASUS card myself... but I left it stock. I like ASUS cards because they made them both AC'97 and HDA compatible (good if you have an old AC'97 case and have a board w/o sound installed).
                        Oh, nice. Xonar DG? Yeah I like it too. I can't really tell if it's better than onboard sound, but I figured for free, why not!

Comment

Oh, nice. Xonar DG? Yeah I like it too. I can't really tell if it's better than onboard sound, but I figured for free, why not!
                          Yeah, DG. The ds would have rocked too but it was too pricey.
                          sigpic

Comment

Re: Your Best Dumpster Finds

University exams started about 2 weeks ago and finished this Monday. So between then and Monday, many college students were either going back home or moving out for the summer... so here's what I scored from the condo I live at (all college studends BTW... and most very rich/spoiled at that):

- A crappy metal wire foldable moving cart. Was kind of broken but I fixed it in 5 minutes with some steel wire. Almost as good as new. Helped me move 1 pair of my big speakers to my car without me sweating like I normally do when I carry them. I guess it paid itself off . I might donate it when I come back after the summer - that is, I'll probably leave it next to one of the dumpsters where all of the homeless people gather. I think this would be a good item for them for sure.

- Canon PixMa MP190 printer with the glass on the scanner part all shattered. Whoever owned it (probably a frat kid) must have gotten drunk at the end of the semester and decided to smash it for fun. The printer itself works but is completely drained of ink. Might give it a try at re-filling myself (never tried it before). The scanner... appears to try to work but we will see if I will just completely disconnect it or replace the broken glass with some junk plexiglass I have around. If nothing, at least I got a good power supply brick out of that printer - 34V or so at 1.2A. And some cables.

- 18 AWG wire and plug from a standing lamp. The lamp was bent, beat to crap, and missing the shade (plus, I don't really need one anyways). The wire is the exact length I needed for a "fun" little DIY project .

Not really great scores but definitely decent junk for me to play with .
                            Last edited by momaka; 05-15-2014, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Ink printers are worthless today unless you print huge amounts of papers. Can get LaserJet 5l or 6 almost for free everywhere and this thing basicaly prints for paper.
                              Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                              Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Canon PixMa MP190 printer with the glass on the scanner part all shattered.
                                a fat girl probably sat on it - was it covered in blood?

Comment

Bought a BioStar GeForce 6100-M9 socket 939 motherboard with accomplanying AMD Athlon 64 3200+ and heatsink. I think I got it for $13 or $14 shipped on eBay. That was last month. Just needed some new caps on the CPU VRM (the KZGs were visibly blown on the eBay picture). Works good now.

Last week I bought three Radeon X1300 PCI-E video cards for $12 shipped. Didn't really need the video cards, but they were all DMS-59 and they all (should) come with a DMS-59 to dual-VGA cables (still waiting for UPS, though). The cables alone are worth about $3-4 shipped on eBay and I needed them so that I can use some more of my Radeon HD2400 XT (which, by the way, turns out are actually Radeon HD2400 Pro and not XT... that's quite far from the Radeon HD3450 that they were promissed to be... but oh well. For $2 a pop with the shipping, I can't complain too much).

And lastly (and best...ly ). I scored a Behringer EPQ1200 stereo amplifier for free. I actually got it last year from my first roommate. Long story shot, he tried to sell it on eBay but failed to package it properly. Customer claimed it was broken so sent it back. My roommate didn't care enough so decided ot trash it. I took it and it sat in my room for about a year. I've been trying to find what's wrong with it, but just couldn't... until two months ago. Found a TO-220 diode had pulled its legs from the case (amp seems to have taken quite a hard hit). Just replaced that and amp has been working fine ever since.

I just "stress-tested" it this week. Hooked up both my Sony SS-MB215's and Realistic Nova-18 speakers to it in parallel on each channel (so 2 speakers / 4 Ohms per channel). The amp itself is too loud (due to built-in fan) for quiet listening. But for tearing up the place... it's nice . Placing both speaker sets on the floor really amplified the bass. The amp itself is supposedly capable of 425 Watts RMS per channel into 4 Ohms, and 600 peak. I don't know how true that is, but it was able to push both my speakers sets to their limits without any fuss. I was driving it with my headphone amplifier, though, because the audio output on that that good old OptiPlex 170L doesn't seem to be capable of standard 2V line-level. I think my headphone amplifier was oscillating a little on certain notes/beats though - it would make the cones on certain songs move way too much at a very low frequency. So I couldn't put the volume all the way. But I didn't need to anyways. Let's just say it was loud!

Actually, he downgraded quite a bit. See that "Top Silent" sticker on the exhaust fan? That's OEM'd by Topower, one of those insanely overbuilt ones. They also need to be recapped though as they usually use Fuhjyyu or Jenpo.
                                  Ah okay. I've only seen and touched a few Athena PSUs before, and they were very light and quite gutless, so I assumed the same here. In any case, I'd still take the CWT, just because it lacks PFC (i.e. more simplicity)... but that's just me .
                                  Last edited by momaka; 05-15-2014, 06:01 PM.

Comment

I got this Polaroid 32 inch LCD with built in working DVD player for $20.

I replaced the 2 normal caps, in which I had in stock from previous repairs. It now works perfectly and looks great.
                                    I have a similar set in my bedroom that I fixed about four years ago and it's the best.

Its time for my annual college student scavenging hunt. This is where mommy and daddy are still paying the kid's charges (plus interest) on credit cards for stuff that they are now selling on craigslist. They are moving out and cannot take the stuff with them as they are usually from out of state.

RING THE REGISTER....I'M GOIN IN FOR MORE!!!
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by Dgtech; 05-15-2014, 06:51 PM.
                                    The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

Bought a BioStar GeForce 6100-M9 socket 939 motherboard with accomplanying AMD Athlon 64 3200+ and heatsink. I think I got it for $13 or $14 shipped on eBay. That was last month. Just needed some new caps on the CPU VRM (the KZGs were visibly blown on the eBay picture). Works good now.
                                      Nice! That's the board that brought me to badcaps forum You need to post pics!
                                      I scored a Behringer EPQ1200 stereo amplifier for free.
                                      You should make a thread on it! And I'll keep bugging you until you start posting pictures
                                      Ah okay. I've only seen and touched a few Athena PSUs before, and they were very light and quite gutless, so I assumed the same here. In any case, I'd still take the CWT, just because it lacks PFC (i.e. more simplicity)... but that's just me .
                                      Check out the picture again, that orange sticker is covering the voltage selector I'm the same way!

Comment

^
                                        It may not have APFC. On the Global Win unit, it can easily be removed and replaced by a bridge rectifier.
                                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Nice! Keep those old HP printers. They are unstoppable! My LJ 2100 has only 30k pages on the count, which is nothing. The place where I used to intern at has quite a few of them sitting in storage doing nothing (most likely will be scrapped, but due to my boss not having much time, that's been getting delayed for many years now). I might ask what they want to do with them and perhaps try to sell them for the company. They are just too good to be scrapped! Most even come with new spare toner too.
                                          Just chiming in to say i agree, my 2100 is great, it has something like 100K pages on it, (or so it thinks) only problem i have with it is it does not like sitting for a while and then printing, just randomly stops and requires you to press the start button to start printing, but if you print more than 5 pages a month or so on it it plods along fine.

Comment

Working...
                                          X