EPOX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EPOX?

I have an epox ep-3vca2. The cpu is a p3-733 coppermine with a 133 frontside bus. I can't get the damn thing to run at 133 fsb! 125 is fine and stable but anything above that crashes! I did a visual inspection of the caps and they look fine. The cpu/dimms all work properly on another motherboard. My powersupply is an enermax 300 watt. Anybody hear any bad news about the caps on epoxboards?

have you tried another psu?
    do you have a scope?
    caps can still be bad even if they look fine.
    look for hash on the vcore line.
    look at +3.3 +5 and +12 too.

Comment

The only Epox I've seen with bad caps was an OLD PP6-NB socket-8 Pentium Pro board... This was a couple years ago, and I haven't seen another one since. This doesn't mean that your board isn't suffering the plague.

As noted on www.badcaps.net/ident/ and kc8 mentioned, there isn't always physical signs. If you have the means to scope it, it would be worth a try.

To maybe answer your question in relation to your specific symptom, I have seen many Abit VP6 motherboards not able to run at full FSB speed (100MHz and higher) with faulty caps. What you described is one of the many symptoms.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

EPOX?

have you tried another psu?
        do you have a scope?
        caps can still be bad even if they look fine.
        look for hash on the vcore line.
        look at +3.3 +5 and +12 too.
        I have tried two other supplies. Voltages are all within spec however they do fluctuate a little bit. (+- .05V or so...nothing to worry about). I don't have a scope or even access to one that i know of. I swapped in a different dimm last night, kingston pc133, 256MB and it still behaved the same way.

Comment

EPOX?

To maybe answer your question in relation to your specific symptom, I have seen many Abit VP6 motherboards not able to run at full FSB speed (100MHz and higher) with faulty caps. What you described is one of the many symptoms.
          I was afraid of that. I've swapped in every part i could think of and it still behaves the same. I'm going to pull the board after work and get a closer look. I guess it's time to start looking for new caps...kinda sucks- the old mobo wants to die right before Christmas....

Comment

Working...
          X