i just bought a motherboard and it isn't getting any power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i just bought a motherboard and it isn't getting any power

it's a biostar socket a mainboard with a nvidia nforce 2 chipset model number M7NCD-A02...i have no idea what the problem is ...i know the power supply is good...the tech support number i got has been disconnected...i don't really want to send it back...any ideas would be appreciated

Does the board power up and not POST, or does it not power up at all?? I've never seen a board new out of the box have bad capacitors, although, that is not beyond possibility. If possible, try your CPU, video card, and RAM in a known good board to eliminate them as possible culprits. I have seen a few Biostar boards with bad caps, but never a brand new one with bad caps.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Something that happened to me. Make sure your power supply is rated for your processor. Some of the chip are more finicky (did I spell that right?) than others and require \"approved\" power supplies. Just a thought.

Comment

if it powers up when you hit the button(light,fans,ect)come on i would clear cmos.many boards nowadays have fsb multipier set in cmos.
        also some boards are shipped with the clear jumper in the clear position to save the battery.some wont even turn on in that setting.
        also make sure the cpu hsf is on right.
        it has a step in it and if put on wrong it wont contact the die.on amd chips it is an instant death sentance for the chip.

Comment

nothing happens the lights don't come on the fan doesn't spin in the power supply ...how do i check if the power supply is rated for the cpu or whatever...it's an athlon xp 1500+ the power supply is a Power Age model 300s... it says it supports athlon and pentium processors right on it? yeah i think the cmos jumper was set in the clear position but i tried it in the other position and it still won't do anything...the post about the heatsink...i think it's on right ...if the chip is broken would that keep me from getting power...i just don't wanna send it back if it's not the problem and i really never did this before so i don't know if maybe i'm missing something...thanks for all the help...what's an irDA? there's a spot on the jpanel on the board to plug one in but i don't have one on my case and also my brother mentioned the case open jumper...which the case doesn't have anything to plug into...do i need to put a jumper on it or something

Comment

Is it possible that you do have the button wired to the mobo correctly or does the outlet and power cable good?. That would produce the symtoms you are having. I have installed many many motherboards and sometimes the manual that comes with the motherboard doesnt always list the connectors for the led's and the reset, power switch etc correctly. A lot of Abit motherboards are like this. I have never installed a biostar.

Comment

thanks again everybody but i fixed it now ...i never put the spacers in behind the motherboard...haha turns out that's kind of important

Comment

oO

WOW didnt it go snap-cracle-pop....
                strange that it didnt short the board out :?

Comment

you got lucky. musta grounded +5sb.
                  if the psu would have started the smoke woulda leaked out.

Comment

Working...
                  X